Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
tomuk
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 6,483.79
Post Pain In Calf/Shin After Skipping

Hi Guys

Since ive started boxing ive been having issues with my lower legs after doing 4 or more rounds of jump rope / skipping

I get an intense ache from my upper ankle to about half way up my calf - the pain is right between my shin bone and my calf like inbetween where the muscle meets the bone - If i push down on that area after ive done quite a lot of skipping Its an intense pain and to attempt to massage is almost unbearable!

for a few days after the session ill have intermittent pain throughout the day and it will hurt mainly when going upstairs or doing any running.

If I stop rest it for about 2-3 days the pain will subside and i will have no problems running etc.

It seems to be just skipping that sets it off

Anyone experienced this before?

Some people are saying shin splints, stress fracture .....

Cheers
Tom
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
dan_cov
Graceful God Golovkin

Rep Power: 64 dan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,434,818,483,927,655,936.00
Total Points: 2,455,139,614,456,706,048.00
Thanks man - Jloro dan_cov makes Boxingscene a better place - valero Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed 
thanks - DannYankee09 p4p poster.  Thank you for keeping it 100% - damit305 you have great predictions - here's an apple to sustain that brain power - jas you deserve a medal for being a truly truly atg poster - jas I see you hit the lotto...congratulations :fing02: - -jose- 
Congrats good call. - Scott.Weiland. Enjoy - kennylimon solid - SlySlickSmooth ATG poster - Croyd a cookie for ur kitchen post lol - sugarsmosley 
Thx 4 points,made WC more fun - Scott.Weiland knows s**t about boxin' - SlySlickSmooth No Message - Scott Weiland Ran out of greenies - Beercules Hope you like cold beer bro! :-) - Tyler_Durden 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ƒallenloki Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - ƒallenloki Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - ƒallenloki Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Daniel Alpha 
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Daniel Alpha Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - codey 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Sounds like shinsplints to me. Try Taurine and Potassium.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 PM
tomuk
Amateur

Ive never had shin splints before - but I thought you felt those directly in the front of your shin - the pain I get isnt on the bone its like inbetween my calf and shin - Inner leg

Cheers
T
Old 02-10-2013, 12:16 AM
templewarrior
Amateur

Total Points: 143.31

Tomuk...I am going through exact same problem. Mine started two weeks ago today when I was jogging the local high school track. I don't know what it is but it is not shin splint...I have had those before. I have been rubbing liniments and your right about the pain. Horrible. My pain has slowly started going away about two days ago have stayed off my feet for last two weeks as much as possible. If you can go see Doc. mabey one of those boots with open toe might help.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Mike_Erm
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 3 Mike_Erm has a reputation beyond reputeMike_Erm has a reputation beyond reputeMike_Erm has a reputation beyond reputeMike_Erm has a reputation beyond reputeMike_Erm has a reputation beyond reputeMike_Erm has a reputation beyond reputeMike_Erm has a reputation beyond reputeMike_Erm has a reputation beyond reputeMike_Erm has a reputation beyond reputeMike_Erm has a reputation beyond reputeMike_Erm has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,993.78

Follow these steps exactly and you will be fine in about a week... No doctor that's to much money...
-Ice your shin 20 mins on then elevate for 10-15 mins do this everyday 3 to 4 times a day.
-Duck walk for the next few days around the house.
-No jump rope and no running outside and get new shoes.
-YouTube Shinsplints and make your own plan....

trust me on this i deal with these kinda injuries all the time in the boxing gym... The 3 main causes of shin splints that i have seen are bad shoes, jump rope, and over striding on the track or basketball court.

I hope this helped take it easy just don't jump rope till there better.

Last edited by Mike_Erm; 02-10-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 AM
jaded
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 18 jaded has a reputation beyond reputejaded has a reputation beyond reputejaded has a reputation beyond reputejaded has a reputation beyond reputejaded has a reputation beyond reputejaded has a reputation beyond reputejaded has a reputation beyond reputejaded has a reputation beyond reputejaded has a reputation beyond reputejaded has a reputation beyond reputejaded has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 88,163,706,915,755.56
Total Points: 88,163,721,390,773.58
Thanks for the warning - MeiXiang loving the sig - Alx. gift - Daniel Alpha Happy new year bro! - led* 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Try stretching your calves and tendons. It sounds like you have previously sprained both ankles at some time or another and they have some scar tissue and trigger points that you never got rid of. Place your foot in the position of this pic (on the left side) and gently put you weight on it.

If it hurts to do this in the ankle or at the side which you referred to (the tendon) you will know this is the problem. If so continue to put more weight on the ankle and hold it to stretch it and deeply massage the tendon at the side with the finger tips (it should hurt so don't worry about that) to release the trigger points and also at the ankle to break down any scar tissue.

This is how you stretch your calves...

They probably are tight. I don't think it's shin splints because that is in a different location than what you are describing...see here.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 AM
T.Horton
Banned

Rep Power: 0 T.Horton has a reputation beyond reputeT.Horton has a reputation beyond reputeT.Horton has a reputation beyond reputeT.Horton has a reputation beyond reputeT.Horton has a reputation beyond reputeT.Horton has a reputation beyond reputeT.Horton has a reputation beyond reputeT.Horton has a reputation beyond reputeT.Horton has a reputation beyond reputeT.Horton has a reputation beyond reputeT.Horton has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,393,791,078.93
Total Points: 1,319,635,960,969.72
enjoy it mate! - MexicanMauler No Message - Thank Me Later Happy holidays bro! - led* Merry Christmas to you and yours Tim. I hope 2013 is your best year ever. - deanrw Happy Holidays Timothy.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Happy Christmas amigo - chav Cheers brother, I appreciate it ! - BulgariasFinest happy new year my man! - HUGH JASS my homie Tim have a happy and safe New Years for you and your family brother. - jose830 Happy new years !! - BulgariasFinest 
Happy New Year Timmy!! - Lorily thanks for the points. - Golden help me finish this 6 pack - AyoMaDu thank you! - Barnburner Cheers dude! - fladz 
Thanks for help - Weltschmerz like a boss! - HUGH JASS No Message - jose830 20,000 post! - jose830 eat up son!!! - jose830 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - !! AI-Holmes!! Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - !! AI-Holmes!! Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - !! AI-Holmes!! Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - !! AI-Holmes!! Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - !! AI-Holmes!! 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sir TomJones Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - eddie_monster Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - eddie_monster Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - eddie_monster Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - eddie_monster 
Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Terrel Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - codey AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - MexicanMauler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MexicanMauler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -Huey- 

i have said it before and will say it again:

the most common cause of shin splints is not tying your shoes up to the top islet (hole). start tying your shoes properly and after your workout, ice it up.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:40 AM
NVSemin
Contender

Rep Power: 4 NVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,846.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomuk View Post
Hi Guys

Since ive started boxing ive been having issues with my lower legs after doing 4 or more rounds of jump rope / skipping

I get an intense ache from my upper ankle to about half way up my calf - the pain is right between my shin bone and my calf like inbetween where the muscle meets the bone - If i push down on that area after ive done quite a lot of skipping Its an intense pain and to attempt to massage is almost unbearable!

for a few days after the session ill have intermittent pain throughout the day and it will hurt mainly when going upstairs or doing any running.

If I stop rest it for about 2-3 days the pain will subside and i will have no problems running etc.

It seems to be just skipping that sets it off

Anyone experienced this before?

Some people are saying shin splints, stress fracture .....

Cheers
Tom
I had this problem: I can suggest doing static exercised to strengthen the connection between the bone and the muscle:
http://www.sugarboxing.com/10-boxing...not-refuse/#C8
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM
tomuk
Amateur

Thanks for the replies - Ill give these a go and hopefully it will sort itself out!

Cheers!
T
Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Trigger Nasty
The fcks a Lommy?

Rep Power: 48 Trigger Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeTrigger Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeTrigger Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeTrigger Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeTrigger Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeTrigger Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeTrigger Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeTrigger Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeTrigger Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeTrigger Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeTrigger Nasty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 138,424,287,488.20
Total Points: 559,425,671,998.85
monkey - Pretty Boy32 your favourite. - Pretty Boy32 for ya juicer - BostonGuy It's time to RISE - Mike Tyson77 Keep up the good work! - codey 
Thank you for the info, that is what I'll do. - BulgariasFinest sometimes I wonder where the fuck you come up with some of these threads but regardless they make me :lol1: cheers brother! - jose830 Best poster on the scene! - sweetpea87 Merry Christmas to you and yours Trigg. I hope 2013 brings you everything you ever wished for - deanrw Keep making vids bro, ur my top BS poster. HNY! - led* 
Boxingscene's Media Master. - TartanSoldier you're the best lounge poster - Freedom. It's ok - Lovci for haffing such a huge shafter - Das poopshaften for the caveman diet - ted*. 
more for the diet - ted*. an apple a day makes you smarter - ted*. some more fruit for you fruity - ted*. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - codey 

Wow, I've been on boxingscene for so many years. I remember when I posted the same question many years ago. I use to get shin pain from jump roping. I Use to to jump rope in Adidas boxing shoes that barely had and padding. I brought some Nike running shoes with good soles and my shin pains were gone. It was that simple.