Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM
josh-hill
Contender

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 58,326.15
Default Boxing Fitness levels

What kind of tests do you use as a fighter or trainer to assess your fitness levels, and how fit should you be for an ammy fight? im trying to set some realistic goals for boxing so that I can see how im progressing
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 AM
rampant
Contender

Rep Power: 5 rampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,610,014,435.13
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - codey 

I have no idea what tests (If any) are used, if your fighting 3x2 min rouns then you want to be able to spar comfortable a few more than that.

Your training will kind of replicate that so when perfroming excersize you will do them for 2/3 minutes or a combo for 2 / 3 minutes, bag work for 2 /3 minutes, mitts etc.

You will now if you are fit enough to fight for a set amount of rounds based on your training.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Dudley
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 6 Dudley has a reputation beyond reputeDudley has a reputation beyond reputeDudley has a reputation beyond reputeDudley has a reputation beyond reputeDudley has a reputation beyond reputeDudley has a reputation beyond reputeDudley has a reputation beyond reputeDudley has a reputation beyond reputeDudley has a reputation beyond reputeDudley has a reputation beyond reputeDudley has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,574.55
Total Points: 110,120,682.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-hill View Post
What kind of tests do you use as a fighter or trainer to assess your fitness levels, and how fit should you be for an ammy fight? im trying to set some realistic goals for boxing so that I can see how im progressing
spar. with someone who is slightly better than you. and see when your body starts to gas out. That's the only test i know. When i started i was a 2 rounder lol now i'm up to about 8 rounds.

I would also do allot of interval training like work hard, shadowbox for 3 mins then min break then do it again, you need to familiarize yourself with dealing with fatigue and technique, you can be tired but your technique better stay the same.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM
NVSemin
Contender

Rep Power: 5 NVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,920.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-hill View Post
I know a test from old soviet boxing:

Run 800m within 3 minutes, then 50 puhsups (roughly minute). Again, Run 800m within 3 minutes... and so on

This pretty much simulates the load you get during the fight. Check how many rounds you will last...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM
rampant
Contender

Rep Power: 5 rampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,610,014,435.13
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - codey 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post

Run 800m within 3 minutes, then 50 puhsups (roughly minute). Again, Run 800m within 3 minutes... and so on

This pretty much simulates the load you get during the fight. Check how many rounds you will last...
That does sound pretty tough, sounds like a good comparison though.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Jamesv3
Contender

Rep Power: 3 Jamesv3 has a spectacular aura aboutJamesv3 has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 10,032,402.96

Our gym do a lot of bleep tests to see if we improve fitness wise if you get 14 + you can pretty much guarantee you can piss 3x2's
Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Danny Gunz
Smokin'

Rep Power: 61 Danny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 16,781,034,551,952.55
Total Points: 19,065,849,898,059.61
Cool Poster. - Barnburner 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Danny Gunz Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - WANGLER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Dorian.. 

Quote:

I think after the 2nd 800 meter run almost everyone would be completely spent
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM
tripleVVV3
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 tripleVVV3 has a spectacular aura abouttripleVVV3 has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 348.71

Yes, there is a test that Holyfield used back in the day right here - do a google search for "hatfield trains Holyfield for Tyson"

I took the concept of heart rate and modified it for myself, this is one that I have used personally:

Run for 5 mins at easy pace to warm up

Run for 3 mins hard with punching (yes, punch straight out while you are running), You donít have to punch on every single step but at least 70-80% of the time, you are trying to get your heart rate above 170 beats per minute (bpm) by the first couple minutes. Within the last 30 seconds you should be pushing to get your heart rate above 180 bpm. Once three minutes is up walk at a moderate pace, watch your heart rate and see if you can get it down to 120 bpm or less by relaxing and breathing. If you can get it there then go again for a second round. The round where you struggle with recovery and canít get your heart rate down to around the 120 bpm mark is where your current threshold is. Itís basically the round will most likely gas out in an all out fight.

If you are struggling to bring your heart rate down by the third or fourth interval then you need more work. You need to spend more time on run intervals, and all out full speed shadowbox and bagwork sessions where you push the intensity and speed up to your threshold. In other words you should be working so hard that you are begging for the bell to ring by the 4th round.

If you do not have a heart rate monitor then after 3 mins is up find your heart rate and count how many beats you get in 10 seconds, then multiply by six. If you get around 30 beats in that time then you have hit the approximate intensity for the test. The only problem with this method is that there is a lag, by the time you measure your heart rate manually you will have recovered a bit and it will have slowed down. Once a minute is up check your heart rate again for 10 seconds, you want to clock around 20 beats.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 PM
DIB42
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 DIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 21,786,726,890.65
Total Points: 21,836,810,757.61

We just used sparring, How many 3min rounds you can go with a fresh opponent. 30s rest.

But I've seen a gym that uses a standard similar to the one we did in elementary school, "The presidential fitness test" I think was what it was called. It has standards for your mile time, pushups, situps, stretching, long jump, high jump. etc

I don't really see that particular way as a good standard for fighting sports, but their gym always produces very strong fighters, with lots of energy.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,078,176.60
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:

That is absolutely ruthless! Not so much the running, but the pressups in between!

50 pressups is no laughing matter, even without it following a passably quick 800m, but to keep that lot up for several rounds! Wow......