Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Welsh Jon
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 5 Welsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,560,555,752,184.79
Default Ranking the Nonpareil

Like a lot of boxing fans I like trying to put together all-time top10/20 lists for each division. But it is hard to do with some of the oldtimers. For me the hardest to rank is the Nonpareil Jack Dempsey. He is a near unanimous ATG. But it is also near impossible to gauge how good he is from studying his record.

I am sure that no one who uses boxrec as their only research tool would rank Dempsey very high in their all-time middleweight ranking. But surely it can not be ignored how highly his contemporaries rated him. And it seems to me his influence and legacy suggest a greatness not apparent in his record.

So what do you guys think. Where does he belong in all-time greatest middleweight lists? Is he not good enough to feature in such lists. Is it impossible to place him in such lists with the limited knowledge we have of him?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM
rightsideup
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 rightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,200,399,391.29

its kinda amazing I did a search and he is not even in the top 25 on this site.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:35 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,050,476,344.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Jon View Post
Like a lot of boxing fans I like trying to put together all-time top10/20 lists for each division. But it is hard to do with some of the oldtimers. For me the hardest to rank is the Nonpareil Jack Dempsey. He is a near unanimous ATG. But it is also near impossible to gauge how good he is from studying his record.

I am sure that no one who uses boxrec as their only research tool would rank Dempsey very high in their all-time middleweight ranking. But surely it can not be ignored how highly his contemporaries rated him. And it seems to me his influence and legacy suggest a greatness not apparent in his record.

So what do you guys think. Where does he belong in all-time greatest middleweight lists? Is he not good enough to feature in such lists. Is it impossible to place him in such lists with the limited knowledge we have of him?
Well I believe the most important thing in rating a fighter is what is written by those who saw them fight, especially true for those with little or no film. I find from my studies that later generations are always biased in favor of their own contemporaries, it is an in built arrogance that I have never understood. As true in cricket, tennis or baseball as it is in boxing. No doubt that the nonpareil would destroy so many of our favourites, no doubt he was awesome and great.