Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: Did Floyd "retire" in 2007 to avoid the top welterweights?
Yes, he was afraid of losing to them 282 87.04%
No, he just wanted a hiatus to spend more time with Ellerbe, like he said on TV 42 12.96%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 01-18-2013, 01:25 AM
josenoway
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 josenoway has a reputation beyond reputejosenoway has a reputation beyond reputejosenoway has a reputation beyond reputejosenoway has a reputation beyond reputejosenoway has a reputation beyond reputejosenoway has a reputation beyond reputejosenoway has a reputation beyond reputejosenoway has a reputation beyond reputejosenoway has a reputation beyond reputejosenoway has a reputation beyond reputejosenoway has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,657,666.83
Total Points: 2,102,685,777.95

waaaahhhhh.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 AM
ADP02
Pac is a drug cheat

Rep Power: 25 ADP02 has a reputation beyond reputeADP02 has a reputation beyond reputeADP02 has a reputation beyond reputeADP02 has a reputation beyond reputeADP02 has a reputation beyond reputeADP02 has a reputation beyond reputeADP02 has a reputation beyond reputeADP02 has a reputation beyond reputeADP02 has a reputation beyond reputeADP02 has a reputation beyond reputeADP02 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 164,601,004,928.47
Total Points: 175,601,188,064.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Corners View Post
So are you telling me Floyd shouldn't have fought Hatton in Late 07', who was undefeated and Top 10 P4P, and he should have fought Williams, who had one legit one at that point. And Cotto lost to Pacquiao and Margarito, Williams lost to CARLOS QUINTANA.....that's a little different.

I'm saying Floyd still fought Cotto, while he was still a top fighter at that weight.

How do you feel personally about Pacquiao not fighting Joan Guzman, Zahir Raheem, Shane Mosley in 09/10, etc????

I love how people give Floyd grief for fighting Baldomir when Margarito was there, but then when you bring up Pacquiao could have fought Joan Guzman or Joel Casamayor in Mid 2008.....he ended up fighting David Diaz.....

I actually responded partially in another thread (c/p):
Floyd is P4P #1 or 2, 154 title holder and undefeated, as you say. So he should be OK to fight the top MW champ at 160 because he is higher P4P than anyone at 160? Right?

Why stop there. Marquez was #2 P4P and almost moved up 3 divisions to fight Floyd. Floyd fans keep on saying that being #2 P4P was enough and all that mattered. So then Floyd should have no problem moving up to 168lbs division and fight Ward since Floyd is king at P4P.

Hatton was king at 140 not 147. Had one average looking fight at WW then went back down. Hmmmm! Floyd fought Hatton at 147. Hatton couldn't resist that opportunity. That is all we need to know!

There would be fewer complaints if Floyd then fought true WW but he didn't.

Williams was always possible but Floyd would never go there. Floyd avoided Williams. So did other WWs so he Williams moved on (154...) but always said, if Floyd is ready, I will be ready. Floyd never took him on.

Cotto of today is not the same Cotto. Both were undefeated 5 years ago. Since then Cotto has fought too many wars and lost most. Check out Cotto's record of wins/losses since Margarito fight. His wins were average and few. Several of his losses were devastating. If you care about a loss for Williams then why are you not seeing this about Cotto?

Raheem ducking was a myth but it brings up my next point. Nonsensical since Manny had just lost to Morales PLUS had just moved up to 130!!! ..... but Why the fuss about Raheem? Oh, yes, its because he beat Morales. Who did Manny fight at 135? Oh yes, David Diaz that title holder that beat Morales. By then, who was Raheem? lol!

Manny: How can you possibly call him a ducker in 2008/2009? You realize that you just mentioned names that span from 130 to 147 for a fighter who was fighting Marquez at 130 in 2008? That my friend is the funniest statement of the night!

May I remind you that in 2008/2009, Manny fought: Marquez, Diaz, Oscar, Hatton and Cotto.

Floyd fought in 2008/2009? Oh, yes .... Marquez ONLY at 146lbs! Who came up almost 3 divisions!!!

Last edited by ADP02; 01-18-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 AM
HeroBando
I love Mayweather

Rep Power: 21 HeroBando has a reputation beyond reputeHeroBando has a reputation beyond reputeHeroBando has a reputation beyond reputeHeroBando has a reputation beyond reputeHeroBando has a reputation beyond reputeHeroBando has a reputation beyond reputeHeroBando has a reputation beyond reputeHeroBando has a reputation beyond reputeHeroBando has a reputation beyond reputeHeroBando has a reputation beyond reputeHeroBando has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 100,167,419.21
Good poster, keep slaying retards. - I'm so sorry keep spitting facts to these haters - hectari 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Corners View Post
So are you telling me Floyd shouldn't have fought Hatton in Late 07', who was undefeated and Top 10 P4P, and he should have fought Williams, who had one legit one at that point. And Cotto lost to Pacquiao and Margarito, Williams lost to CARLOS QUINTANA.....that's a little different.

I'm saying Floyd still fought Cotto, while he was still a top fighter at that weight.

How do you feel personally about Pacquiao not fighting Joan Guzman, Zahir Raheem, Shane Mosley in 09/10, etc????

I love how people give Floyd grief for fighting Baldomir when Margarito was there, but then when you bring up Pacquiao could have fought Joan Guzman or Joel Casamayor in Mid 2008.....he ended up fighting David Diaz.....
Casamayor was washed up, he was not really any better than David Diaz at that point.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 AM
Mr. Philadel
#215Boxing

Location: Everywhere you NEVER BEEN....I'm better than I've EVER BEEN!
Rep Power: 65 Mr. Philadel has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Philadel has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Philadel has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Philadel has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Philadel has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Philadel has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Philadel has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Philadel has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Philadel has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Philadel has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Philadel has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 513,646,714,827.54
Total Points: 555,547,406,074.39
For being a good sport. - F-R-K-O Vodka &amp;amp; Red Bull for ya! - BattlingNelson for the green homey - NewYork For a super poster! - jazluvr hopkins finna whoop pascal AGAIN - Tha Executioner 
No Message - Tha Executioner No Message - arraamis respect you as a poster, keep it up champ! - Atreyu Khalil Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil Awesome post on Miguel Cotto...cheers! - jose830 
Great post bro! keep up the good work. - codey just cause you a philly boy - SpeedKillz Real recognize real. - SnakeVen0m Happy New Year - Freedom. philly swagg, walking BK outta the house - thuggery 
Team Swift all day! - KeepItObjective A+ poster,one of the very best. - Scott.Weiland. war bhop! - jas Congrats on the baby girl :fing02: - -jose- Good look - Shambrolic 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp1432 View Post
I voted no, but only because he didn't want to do business with Arum IMO. Him not fighting Cotto in 08 is still the biggest problem I have with his career, maybe even more so than Pacquiao.

He didn't avoid Margarito or Williams though, that's ridiculous.
thats how I see it as well!!...the Cotto fight was bigger than the Pac fight imo
Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 AM
Phenom
Phenomdeaux

Bank: 20,728,053,492,428.08
Total Points: 20,728,063,513,658.97
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - bearman3000 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - bearman3000 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
thats how I see it as well!!...the Cotto fight was bigger than the Pac fight imo
you exaggerating some what the fight was hot for the short period of time between Cotto beating Mosley and losing to Margarito but yeah I wanted to see the fight
Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 AM
warp1432
the mailman

Rep Power: 57 warp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 158,138,010,103,288.50
Total Points: 158,243,820,967,021.06
5k post celebration. - !! AI-Holmes!! Have a drink on me! - RiZOOM you're killing me in the cotto thread , kid. i'm trying to get 2-1/3-1 odds from a pissed off cotto fan. :-) - Left Hook Tua Always droppin knowledge. Thanks for the vid bro, I owe ya. - Spiegelo No Message - texanballer 
thanks for the support - texanballer For being a stand up guy. You rule. - F•R•K•O Defo in need of an apple warp - danc1984 RBRs when I'm at work are much appreciated - DWiens421 10k posts and for being a good poster - Golden Boy 360 
10k posts warp. Let's celebrate this shit. - danc1984 Marry me, ese. - El Gallo Homo! 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Left Hook Tua 
Send a message via AIM to warp1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
There's no way the Cotto fight was bigger than the Pacquiao fight. If Pacquiao would have just said yes in 2009 to the tests than that fight would have happened, imo. Pacquiao's first reluctance is why I view the Cotto fight as a bigger problem.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still horse **** that Floyd didn't end up fighting Pacquiao. That's boxing I suppose.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Phenom
Phenomdeaux

Bank: 20,728,053,492,428.08
Total Points: 20,728,063,513,658.97
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - bearman3000 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - bearman3000 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp1432 View Post
There's no way the Cotto fight was bigger than the Pacquiao fight. If Pacquiao would have just said yes in 2009 to the tests than that fight would have happened, imo. Pacquiao's first reluctance is why I view the Cotto fight as a bigger problem.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still horse **** that Floyd didn't end up fighting Pacquiao. That's boxing I suppose.
all Cotto had to do was keep winning the minute he got to be in the spotlight he lost that's the thing about Cotto he is/was very overrated and can't keep fighting at elite level
he can beat the Zab judah and malignaggi's of the world but beating a #1 or #2 guy he can't do
Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 AM
pturtle
Banned

Rep Power: 0 pturtle is infamous around these partspturtle is infamous around these partspturtle is infamous around these partspturtle is infamous around these partspturtle is infamous around these partspturtle is infamous around these partspturtle is infamous around these partspturtle is infamous around these partspturtle is infamous around these partspturtle is infamous around these partspturtle is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 34,613.47

It funny how Floyd fans say Cotto, Marg, Williams wouldn’t do much for his resume, he would have killed them blah blah blah

But Floyd’s 2 best wins are against fighters with to this day are Corrales and Castillo, he fought them at there best and even with all the beatings and losses they took after the Floyd fights, Floyd gets full credit for beating them, because he fought them at their best, and at their weight class. Those 2 wins show Floyd took some risks through out his career. Beating Williams, Cotto, and Marg would have been equally or better then those 2 wins and would have made his resume look great.

And the fact he retired while the division was stacked is just horrible.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 AM
thuggery
proper rock slanga'

Rep Power: 53 thuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,874,303,142,969,149.00
Total Points: 6,892,435,143,238,990.00
Thanks.  Let see if this works. - sdcluser Thankyou for your compliment. - Rockin' love &amp; peace - Lotus Flower Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks No Message - FkDaHtrs 
No Message - FkDaHtrs Haha thanks!  Here is a badass looking fish! - UglyPug Thanks man! - WARQUEZ Have a whopper!!!!! - E.P.T. one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. 
A legendary poster in the making. - WARQUEZ 4 some good luck coming your way - Rockin' destroying bandwagoners - .:: JSFD26 ::. already greened you, but props on posting that quote dissing c/w's - chiguy91 welcome back bro........ - bigsmoothh 
For a Toe to Toe poster! - LoadedWraps Good job! - Weltschmerz A brewski for a cool vato - hectari Merry Christmas - Freedom2013 i learned from the best, like you - Kuyukut 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery 

Some people seem to be upset with the poll results, not sure why though it's accurate.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 AM
Skittlez
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Skittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 193,384.25
No Message - Fire and Fear one of boxingscene's worst posters - Freedom. Where is Tiger??????? - mathed tiger uppercut! - joesaiditstrue No woner you're in the red. Now go fuck yourself in the ass - RossCA 
Name it Lennox - dan_cov Worst poster since Frank Sucketts - dan_cov biased - happyman hate troll - waste of space - Simurgh For the most stupid yet entertaining poster around! Enjoy! - Simurgh 
youre actually not a bad poster, i just find it funny how many kick me's you have. you dont deserve them imo - happyman deserves a kick for constant trolling and alts - I'm so sorry people want to kick you - Freedom. you can pretend it's Lennox Lewis - Freedom. Top 10 p4p NSB/ESB ATG - ArtThouFurious? 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fire and Fear 

I feel that Floyd never wanted any part of Williams.

Williams isn't Tommy Hearns but he was a 6'2-6'3 giant who threw non stop punches and kept coming forward.

Floyd didn't have the power to keep Williams off and Williams got a extremely fan friendly style. It's very eye pleasing.. So even if Williams won '5' of the 12 rounds.. judges might view that as a win.

Pacquaio was a risk.... Floyd is a favorite against 2010 Pac.
But that verisION OF pac was probably on crack.. so tough fight.

I think he would beat the hell out of Cotto.. but than he struggled a lot more against Cotto than I thought... he would later on during their careers.

Margarito was risky as well.

I duno all four of those guys could probably have seriously pushed Floyd.

07-08 Cotto
2010 Pac
Prime Williams
07-08 Margarito

I'm not saying he will lose to any of them. but those four will easily be 4 of his 6 toughest fights.

Easily