Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Global Boxing Scene
Thread Navigation

Old 01-11-2005, 08:45 AM
barryboy
Glasgow's Finest

Rep Power: 42 barryboy has a reputation beyond reputebarryboy has a reputation beyond reputebarryboy has a reputation beyond reputebarryboy has a reputation beyond reputebarryboy has a reputation beyond reputebarryboy has a reputation beyond reputebarryboy has a reputation beyond reputebarryboy has a reputation beyond reputebarryboy has a reputation beyond reputebarryboy has a reputation beyond reputebarryboy has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 51,147.59
Default Calzaghe pulls out...again!!!

Calzaghe withdraws from defence

Joe Calzaghe was scheduled to make his 16th title defence
Joe Calzaghe has withdrawn from his WBO super middleweight title defence on 11 February in Manchester.
The Welshman has cited a lack of preparation time for the fight against an unnamed opponent and is scheduled to return in March.

The event will now be headlined by local super featherweight Michael Gomez and is hoped to include amateur boxers.

It will be the first ever pro-am bill and should include the likes of Olympic silver medallist Amir Khan.

However, promoter Frank Warren is still in talks with the Amateur Boxing Association with regard to staging up to four amateur bouts at the MEN Arena.

Gomez's fellow Mancunian Stephen Foster Jnr is also set to contest the WBU featherweight title on the same card.

In his column for the South Wales Argus last week, Calzaghe claimed he would be fighting on 11 February and said that "...rumours that Frank Warren wants the defence to be put back to March and April are just that".

Rough-house fighter Antwun Echols had been in negotiations with the Calzaghe camp, but it now appears the 33-year-old American was unable to agree a deal with Warren.

Scott Pemberton and Mario Veit - who Calzaghe beat in one round almost four years ago - had also been touted as possible foes, but neither would have been suitably exciting to the boxing public.

What a fanny, if he's not pulling out of fights or getting 'injured' they're being postponed, both the Echols and Pemberton fights could have been exciting brawls though it looks as if Frankie boy may have something to do with this but still the fighter should be the boss and have the final say on when he fights
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-11-2005, 09:33 AM
elveiel
A.K.A - evil -

Rep Power: 6102 elveiel has a reputation beyond reputeelveiel has a reputation beyond reputeelveiel has a reputation beyond reputeelveiel has a reputation beyond reputeelveiel has a reputation beyond reputeelveiel has a reputation beyond reputeelveiel has a reputation beyond reputeelveiel has a reputation beyond reputeelveiel has a reputation beyond reputeelveiel has a reputation beyond reputeelveiel has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 157,527.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryboy
Calzaghe withdraws from defence

Joe Calzaghe was scheduled to make his 16th title defence
Joe Calzaghe has withdrawn from his WBO super middleweight title defence on 11 February in Manchester.
The Welshman has cited a lack of preparation time for the fight against an unnamed opponent and is scheduled to return in March.

The event will now be headlined by local super featherweight Michael Gomez and is hoped to include amateur boxers.

It will be the first ever pro-am bill and should include the likes of Olympic silver medallist Amir Khan.

However, promoter Frank Warren is still in talks with the Amateur Boxing Association with regard to staging up to four amateur bouts at the MEN Arena.

Gomez's fellow Mancunian Stephen Foster Jnr is also set to contest the WBU featherweight title on the same card.

In his column for the South Wales Argus last week, Calzaghe claimed he would be fighting on 11 February and said that "...rumours that Frank Warren wants the defence to be put back to March and April are just that".

Rough-house fighter Antwun Echols had been in negotiations with the Calzaghe camp, but it now appears the 33-year-old American was unable to agree a deal with Warren.

Scott Pemberton and Mario Veit - who Calzaghe beat in one round almost four years ago - had also been touted as possible foes, but neither would have been suitably exciting to the boxing public.

What a fanny, if he's not pulling out of fights or getting 'injured' they're being postponed, both the Echols and Pemberton fights could have been exciting brawls though it looks as if Frankie boy may have something to do with this but still the fighter should be the boss and have the final say on when he fights
Thats annoying, i like Gomez but only as an undercard fighter so i doubt i'll be going now.

Maybe the better deals couldnt be made so he thought he'd try to avoid the mandatory by saying he isnt prepared. He's known about this fight for a long time and there still a months until it happened.

The only way i'll be happy is if he fights Johnson in April.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:42 AM
dustymoo
Contender

Rep Power: 0 dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo
Total Points: 16,101.86

I agree. I'm a massive Calzaghe fan. I'd go so far as to say he's the best Super-Middle, Light-Heavy in the world. But he pisses me off cancelling all the time. Maybe it's a motivation thing? If he gets the fights he deserves, i.e; Tarver, Johnson, maybe even beat Ottke up again for a laugh, he might be more up for it?
Old 01-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Drug Fiend
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Drug Fiend has a reputation beyond reputeDrug Fiend has a reputation beyond reputeDrug Fiend has a reputation beyond reputeDrug Fiend has a reputation beyond reputeDrug Fiend has a reputation beyond reputeDrug Fiend has a reputation beyond reputeDrug Fiend has a reputation beyond reputeDrug Fiend has a reputation beyond reputeDrug Fiend has a reputation beyond reputeDrug Fiend has a reputation beyond reputeDrug Fiend has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 17,757.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustymoo
I agree. I'm a massive Calzaghe fan. I'd go so far as to say he's the best Super-Middle, Light-Heavy in the world. But he pisses me off cancelling all the time. Maybe it's a motivation thing? If he gets the fights he deserves, i.e; Tarver, Johnson, maybe even beat Ottke up again for a laugh, he might be more up for it?
hes fought ottke???
i thought that was the fight that never happened

anyway calzaghe imo is the best established fighter the uk
has at the moment but hes throwing it all away.

if in doubt fight...not ***** ass around

and yet again warren is involved.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:00 PM
ShotgunSeanK
Contender

Rep Power: 0 ShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 15,063.00

calzaghes never fought ottke! did he fight him as an amateur then?
Old 01-11-2005, 02:19 PM
dustymoo
Contender

Rep Power: 0 dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo dustymoo
Total Points: 16,101.86

My humblest apologies, i meant Omar Sheiker. (reminder to self, dont go on forum pissed). Mind you, dont think Ottke would prove too much of a problem. But the Welsh tit would probably get injured again? What an annoying talent?
(i'm also Welsh, so please dont bite my head off for that)
Old 01-11-2005, 03:07 PM
onikami
Banned

Rep Power: 0 onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami
Total Points: 25,075.00

Blame it all on Frank Warren.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:37 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,636,316.56

It's just so easy to hate Joe Calzaghe.

He should retire.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:39 PM
onikami
Banned

Rep Power: 0 onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami onikami
Total Points: 25,075.00

He should leave Warren and the UK and seek his fortune in the USA.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:44 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,636,316.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by onikami
He should leave Warren and the UK and seek his fortune in the USA.

No, thanks.....we don't want him.