Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,005,314,600.03
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The "I hate Tyson" award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 
Default Ezzard Charles vs. Marvin Hagler, at Middleweight

I'd post this in the Fantasy Bouts section, but that section is asleep.

Charles' middleweight career is less known than his dynasty at light heavyweight or his championship run at heavyweight, but he originally moved up to 175 for the same reason he later moved up to heavy: He couldn't get a shot at the middleweight crown.

15 rounds at 160. Who do you have?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 125,618,737,927.02
Total Points: 125,618,749,092.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
I'd post this in the Fantasy Bouts section, but that section is asleep.

Charles' middleweight career is less known than his dynasty at light heavyweight or his championship run at heavyweight, but he originally moved up to 175 for the same reason he later moved up to heavy: He couldn't get a shot at the middleweight crown.

15 rounds at 160. Who do you have?
Hagler by decision. We know how great and effective he was at 160 while we can only guess how good Charles was. Thinking a primed Hagler would be a bit too strong for the middleweight version of Charles who had probably not yet fully matured physically.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 71 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,345,363,557,804,057.00
Total Points: 5,374,583,673,967,164.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

I think Charles wins by Decision.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,073,793.11
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 

I'll guess less than 10% of Charles number of bouts was at 160lbs! He is known as a LtHvy and went to heavy to cash in before his "show closed"!
I would think he could hang with anyone from 160 on up!
Because he DID!! Other than the very end after Marciano his looses prior were to top notch fighters that he split with as most of the greats from that era often did! Full time "greats" fight till they say "go Home"! We don't want that dedication anymore because we don't want men to take on challenges that aren't acceptable at a certain age that a 15 to 25 year career brings!
He was a terriffic fighter who was accomplished and willing to win at any cost!
Remember at middleweight he was a young man just getting going, so if you want him at 160 but with his knowledge and experience throughout his career I'd take him over Marvin. Hagler is one of few men who could fight/box in any era and be a top notch draw but so was Charles. Ezzard fought the better opponents and had a much wider repitiore than Marvin.
I'd guess just like in the past the really great fighters win & loose to each other. It would be great competition thats for sure!!

who at 160 today hangs with them? Junior? Sergio ha!, GGG, Ward??
None of them would win against those men, no way! Ray.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 PM
crold1
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 23 crold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 110,194,246.65
I totally agree with your p4p rankings, Pac is definitely above Floyd. - Neutral 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
I think Charles wins by Decision.
I think he'd have a hell of a shot. He beat Burley twice AT Middleweight. Lost to Tunero and Overlin. It would have had to be RIGHT at the end of that Middle run versus absolute peak Marvin. Good fight.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 AM
Rossman
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 46 Rossman has a reputation beyond reputeRossman has a reputation beyond reputeRossman has a reputation beyond reputeRossman has a reputation beyond reputeRossman has a reputation beyond reputeRossman has a reputation beyond reputeRossman has a reputation beyond reputeRossman has a reputation beyond reputeRossman has a reputation beyond reputeRossman has a reputation beyond reputeRossman has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,614,218,858,891.64
Total Points: 7,614,218,863,833.26

I never thought middleweight was Charles best weight, but it was Hagler. I favor Hagler here.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 AM
wmute
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 32 wmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 27,396,120,227.94
Total Points: 27,396,324,718.64

I would say that the perfectly developed machine Hagler became around 1980 or so would UD the mw of Charles, who outgrew the division by 21 (which also makes me think he was not yet the killing machine he would be shortly afterwarsa. Also at 160, Hagler would have probably (not sure) been the first lefty Charles would face outside a gym(not many around at the time) . I would not consider a late stoppage impossible (Before you all jump on this one, think Sanchez-Nelson). Of course less than 5 years later Hagler would be severely outgunned, and might get stopped himself.