Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 12-26-2012, 04:58 PM
ironalex
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 10 ironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,021,086,938.84
Total Points: 13,021,144,534.55
Default Tyson's early training routine...

Now i realise he apparantly used to train 7 days a week, and each day do A LOT, but in his first 9 months he fought 15 times- fighting so often (even though he was knocking each one out early) how did he train between those fights? surely he had to rest a couple of days then go back to it- because Adrenaline has to come down.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Frighteous
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 6 Frighteous has a reputation beyond reputeFrighteous has a reputation beyond reputeFrighteous has a reputation beyond reputeFrighteous has a reputation beyond reputeFrighteous has a reputation beyond reputeFrighteous has a reputation beyond reputeFrighteous has a reputation beyond reputeFrighteous has a reputation beyond reputeFrighteous has a reputation beyond reputeFrighteous has a reputation beyond reputeFrighteous has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 116,430.14
Total Points: 179,065.12

Steroids....
Old 12-27-2012, 03:59 PM
DIB42
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 DIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,582,653,847.58
Total Points: 23,632,741,053.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironalex View Post
Now i realise he apparantly used to train 7 days a week, and each day do A LOT, but in his first 9 months he fought 15 times- fighting so often (even though he was knocking each one out early) how did he train between those fights? surely he had to rest a couple of days then go back to it- because Adrenaline has to come down.
I'd guess a rest day with Cus was probably like most guys average workout. A rest day was probably just a day without sparring.

Ray would be the guy to ask on this one... He knows quite a bit about Cus' boys and the early days of Tyson.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Bingo33
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,045.98
Default He did not lift weights with Cus

I emailed Steve Lott last year and he confirmed that Tyson never lifted weight with Cus. He visited a health club only to use the stationary cylcle. Lott said that Cus emphasized head movement above all else. Move your head every single time you throw a punch.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,072,582.41
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 

Not sure what Cus did as to weekly training. I was there when there was sparring with guys we brought into spar! Normally there would be a light day from strenuous work. Might be a lighter run and exercises and shadowing out!!
Mike did alot of shadow work when he was a kid, and I think he ended his workouts with shaking out with some shadowing!!
Cus's style is extremely physically demanding and flexability is a key to doing the style without getting exhausted!
Alot of his opponents early were from my matchmaker and I knew them all very well so whatever Cus wanted as to info he got from me and another confidant Sean Malone Sr. We had a conection with Cus long before Mike was turned over to Cus! Mke was a tremendous conditioned fighter early in his career, from 14yrs to 20yrs I doubt you could find someone who worked harder!! He was a flawed kid with alot of tuff luck but we loved him! Ray
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Bingo33
Amateur

Total Points: 1,045.98
Default More on Tyson's style

I personally think Tyson's style was very good for a young kid, requiring flexibility and intensity. But as a man grows older, he looses flexibility and starts to burn out mentally and physically. I do not think a man in his 30's could utilize that style. Too mentally and physically demanding.