Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 AM
raskat
Banned

Rep Power: 0 raskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,825,104,832.67
Knuckles - Uncle Howie Good Job! - DET. IRONSIDE No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
Happy New Year - Freedom. Thanks for the uploads - simbros thanks for the info...i can now add youtube fights to my career collections. - joe strong Merry Xmas and thanks for the fun quiz! - The Surgeon one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MiZe View Post
I used to think you were knowledgeable, looks like you don't have the slightest clue. BoxRec does this to a lot of people, makes them look like idiots. Seek information elsewhere.
well, first of all, I read tons of boxing books, and I really mean TONS OF. So I do consider myself knowledgeable enough to talk boxing with pretty much ANYONE on this site here.
check out the first 100 opponents of Jimmy Wilde:
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...boxer&pageID=2
I know boxrec posts some things that are not true, but the records of boxers are mostly correct.
So look at the records of Wilde's first 100 opponents and then tell me he was beating world class guys. Almost EVERYBODY of them had a losing record and less than 5 pro fights.
this is the typical Jimmy Wilde opponent:
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...3727&cat=boxer
this guy fought Wilde 4 times, and nobody else...
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 AM
D-MiZe
Iron lungs

Rep Power: 100 D-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 38,223,296,938,074.13
Total Points: 38,227,798,052,558.71
'cause it's going to piss pour! - *Boss Lady* for when I am around. ;) - *Boss Lady* Best chat up line in a gift and or message on Boxingscene. - *Boss Lady* Because you are just so charming. &lt;3333 - *Boss Lady* You haven't been around ... batteries are now dead. - *Boss Lady* 
I read your manual, changed the batteries and made a mess. Ooops :) - *Boss Lady* Merry Christmas - Flab Happy new year! - Toney Loc :kiss: - *Boss Lady* Happy Easter babe :kiss: - Bossy 
25k Posts! :kiss: - Bossy For finishing 3rd in Season 2 of The Predictorship Challenge - D4thincarnation Keeping the &quot;Predictorship Challenge&quot; alive. - D4thincarnation The Predictorship Challenge Champion Season 3 - D4thincarnation Happy holidays bro! - led* 
have a safe and Happy New Years bro! :fing02: - jose830 don't get to comfortable with this around your neck, it's going to be taken. - TartanSoldier cause you have janes toney as an avy and cause i cant finish this 6 pack - AyoMaDu Some great posts - jas genius predictions! - jas 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ЯiZО AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - GetSumBrah Hepatitis C - _PlaT_NuM_ Autism - The Scientist Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - ??? 
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - siablo14 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr449 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - 'Sugar' Freddi Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - iBreakbeat Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - iBreakbeat 
Send a message via MSN to D-MiZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskat View Post
well, first of all, I read tons of boxing books, and I really mean TONS OF. So I do consider myself knowledgeable enough to talk boxing with pretty much ANYONE on this site here.
check out the first 100 opponents of Jimmy Wilde:
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...boxer&pageID=2
I know boxrec posts some things that are not true, but the records of boxers are mostly correct.
So look at the records of Wilde's first 100 opponents and then tell me he was beating world class guys. Almost EVERYBODY of them had a losing record and less than 5 pro fights.
Those records are incomplete, as are most of BoxRec's records from those dates. In fact, most of Wilde's record is incomplete. He says himself that he had 800 fights and although this may be exaggerated he certainly had more than the 150 listed on BoxRec.

He lost 3 times in his career.

He was recovering from the flu when he fought Tancy Lee the first time and it showed, still he lasted 17 rounds. In the rematch Wilde proved his greatness outclassing and stopping Lee in 11. The others coming at the tail-end of his career against 2 great fighters and way out of his prime, still he looked good.

Wilde's well known for his power but this shouldn't mask his excellent boxing skills and counter punching ability. Wilde's not a lock for the greatest flyweight, I have no qualms there - how'd you rank them?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 AM
raskat
Banned

Rep Power: 0 raskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond repute
Knuckles - Uncle Howie Good Job! - DET. IRONSIDE No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
Happy New Year - Freedom. Thanks for the uploads - simbros thanks for the info...i can now add youtube fights to my career collections. - joe strong Merry Xmas and thanks for the fun quiz! - The Surgeon one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MiZe View Post
Those records are incomplete, as are most of BoxRec's records from those dates. In fact, most of Wilde's record is incomplete. He says himself that he had 800 fights and although this may be exaggerated he certainly had more than the 150 listed on BoxRec.

He lost 3 times in his career.

He was recovering from the flu when he fought Tancy Lee the first time and it showed, still he lasted 17 rounds. In the rematch Wilde proved his greatness outclassing and stopping Lee in 11. The others coming at the tail-end of his career against 2 great fighters and way out of his prime, still he looked good.

Wilde's well known for his power but this shouldn't mask his excellent boxing skills and counter punching ability. Wilde's not a lock for the greatest flyweight, I have no qualms there - how'd you rank them?
well, it looks you got your information from wikipedia, which is known to be A LOT LESS CREDIBLE than boxrec.com
I quote you:
Quote:
BoxRec does this to a lot of people, makes them look like idiots. Seek information elsewhere.
so you go to wikipedia and repeat here quotes from Wilde's wiki page and you want to teach me on the subject of "credible sources"?
As I said, I have lots of sources, every book I read is a source. But I agree most books say Jimmy Wilde has that unbelievable winning streak of 100 wins without a loss (or whatever it was). But no matter if a few fights are missing on boxrec, do you really think the ones that are missing were against world class opponents? Know what I mean? His first 100 opponents were 99 % guys with losing records and only a few fights. So I don't think the ones that are not mentioned on his record were against better opposition.
I can't rate Wilde cause I don't know how good he was. Beating 100 of those guys doesn't tell me anything. And when Wilde did fight good opposition, he got stopped a few times and/or lost.
I can't rate him cause I don't know how good he was.

Last edited by raskat; 12-31-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 AM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 18 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,294,744.33
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
well, it looks you got your information from wikipedia, which is known to be A LOT LESS CREDIBLE than boxrec.com
I quote you:

so you go to wikipedia and repeat here quotes from Wilde's wiki page and you want to teach me on the subject of "credible sources"?
As I said, I have lots of sources, every book I read is a source. But I agree most books say Jimmy Wilde has that unbelievable winning streak of 100 wins without a loss (or whatever it was). But no matter if a few fights are missing on boxrec, do you really think the ones that are missing were against world class opponents? Know what I mean? His first 100 opponents were 99 % guys with losing records and only a few fights. So I don't think the ones that are not mentioned on his record were against better opposition.
I can't rate Wilde cause I don't know how good he was. Beating 100 of those guys doesn't tell me anything. And when Wilde did fight good opposition, he got stopped a few times and/or lost.
I can't rate him cause I don't know how good he was.
There's footage of Wilde. That tells us a lot more about him than simply looking at his Boxrec page and scanning his opponents' win-loss records.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:14 AM
D-MiZe
Iron lungs

Rep Power: 100 D-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond repute
'cause it's going to piss pour! - *Boss Lady* for when I am around. ;) - *Boss Lady* Best chat up line in a gift and or message on Boxingscene. - *Boss Lady* Because you are just so charming. &lt;3333 - *Boss Lady* You haven't been around ... batteries are now dead. - *Boss Lady* 
I read your manual, changed the batteries and made a mess. Ooops :) - *Boss Lady* Merry Christmas - Flab Happy new year! - Toney Loc :kiss: - *Boss Lady* Happy Easter babe :kiss: - Bossy 
25k Posts! :kiss: - Bossy For finishing 3rd in Season 2 of The Predictorship Challenge - D4thincarnation Keeping the &quot;Predictorship Challenge&quot; alive. - D4thincarnation The Predictorship Challenge Champion Season 3 - D4thincarnation Happy holidays bro! - led* 
have a safe and Happy New Years bro! :fing02: - jose830 don't get to comfortable with this around your neck, it's going to be taken. - TartanSoldier cause you have janes toney as an avy and cause i cant finish this 6 pack - AyoMaDu Some great posts - jas genius predictions! - jas 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ЯiZО AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - GetSumBrah Hepatitis C - _PlaT_NuM_ Autism - The Scientist Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - ??? 
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - siablo14 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr449 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - 'Sugar' Freddi Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - iBreakbeat Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - iBreakbeat 

How have I gone to Wikipedia?

It's widely known that Wilde fought from anywhere in between 500 to a 1000 times. Do you honestly believe the English flyweight belt was contested between Wilde and a guy making his debut?

Like I said, most of the records are incomplete. I don't think the flyweight division was even recognized in America until 1915. Gene Tunney said 'He is the greatest fighter I ever saw'.

No shame in his losses to a great bantamweight in Herman and the same could be said about Villa, both fights taken well out of his prime.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 AM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 18 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanSoldier View Post
Wales is in Great Britain.

As is Scotland, and England.
Oops. I knew that.

Scotland, Wales, and England are "Great Britain", and Northern Ireland is the other piece of the "United Kingdom". Correct?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 AM
D-MiZe
Iron lungs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
Oops. I knew that.

Scotland, Wales, and England are "Great Britain", and Northern Ireland is the other piece of the "United Kingdom". Correct?
Ze full title is 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.

The UK encompasses all of the above countries, GB all excluding Northern Ireland.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 AM
raskat
Banned

well, there are only a few minutes of footage available of Wilde. Parts of 3 fights (2 of those fights did Wilde lose -Pancho Villa and Tancy Lee)
So, I still cannot rate him and I don't have to. He has his place in boxing history and I have my own opinion about him which is that I cannot rate him for all the reasons I mentioned. I don't belittle him, I am sure he was one hell of a fighter, I am just saying his record looks as the most padded I have ever seen.
When Cesar Chavez Senior almost won 100 fights without losing, he fought at least a few really good guys, with Wilde it is different.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 AM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
well, there are only a few minutes of footage available of Wilde. Parts of 3 fights (2 of those fights did Wilde lose -Pancho Villa and Tancy Lee)
So, I still cannot rate him and I don't have to. He has his place in boxing history and I have my own opinion about him which is that I cannot rate him for all the reasons I mentioned. I don't belittle him, I am sure he was one hell of a fighter, I am just saying his record looks as the most padded I have ever seen.
When Cesar Chavez Senior almost won 100 fights without losing, he fought at least a few really good guys, with Wilde it is different.
Wrong. There are quite a few full fights on video. You're going to need to dig deeper than Youtube. I have at least six or seven of his fights on VHS tapes.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 AM
#1Assassin
Euro fighters are best

Rep Power: 23 #1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,453,087,630.32
Total Points: 13,537,341,059.12
one of boxingscene's very worst posters - Freedom. one of boxingscene's very best posters - Barnburner What you said about Dempsey was real talk! - Atreyu Khalil you are one of THOSE terrible posters - Earl Hickey 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
Boxrec warriors unite.

I thought Jimmy Wilde was from Great Britain?
american public schools ftw