Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM
FIGHTING_FLIP
"BAD NEWS"

Rep Power: 14 FIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 310,281.12
Default is doing shoulder exercises before sparring/boxing good?

ive had minor injuries with my rotator cuff before, is it ok to do shoulder strengthening exercises before I box, or should that be done afterwards
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 AM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,106,988.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGHTING_FLIP View Post
ive had minor injuries with my rotator cuff before, is it ok to do shoulder strengthening exercises before I box, or should that be done afterwards
I would try not to fatigue the rotator cuff to much before sparring - the muscles wont be able to do their job properly and it may jeopardize shoulder stability.

Certainly, give the the rotators a good warm prior to training / sparring.

I personally would do the shoulder strengthening exercises last thing before leaving the gym.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Vitez
Contender

Total Points: 25,204.69

Actually the rotator cuff exercise are the ones you do want to do before the main training because you want to activate those...also these won't drain your shoulder muscles so go ahead and make sure you do them laying on floor!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,106,988.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitez View Post
Actually the rotator cuff exercise are the ones you do want to do before the main training because you want to activate those...also these won't drain your shoulder muscles so go ahead and make sure you do them laying on floor!
Not before sparring though mate. Fatigue could lead to decreased shoulder stability and hence increase the chance of shoulder injuries (i.e. dislocations).

You can activate these muscle during a warm up and spar safe in the knowledge that these muscles are less likely to get injured.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 PM
DIB42
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 DIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 15,254,181,082.31
Total Points: 15,304,258,622.49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAuthority View Post
Not before sparring though mate. Fatigue could lead to decreased shoulder stability and hence increase the chance of shoulder injuries (i.e. dislocations).

You can activate these muscle during a warm up and spar safe in the knowledge that these muscles are less likely to get injured.
100% agree sir. Warm up before sparring, do your shoulder workout at the end of the day before the cool down. Or do them on separate days. Shoulder injuries are tricky, at the Age of 32 I still occasionally battle with one I acquired during my teen years.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Pony Boy
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 Pony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 73,097.73

The shoulder muscles are overlooked, which is the major cause of shoulder injury specially rotator cuff tears. Always warm-up properly, which means your whole body. Remember that in boxing we utilize all muscles. I like doing forward and backword swim moves, arm swing to the sides and up and downwards to warm-up the shoulders befores and after training. I also like to strengthen the shoulders, arms and upper back muscles on non sparring days and split up the upper and lower body strength training according to my fighters level of fitness.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM
gmc_rfc_06
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 gmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond reputegmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond reputegmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond reputegmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond reputegmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond reputegmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond reputegmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond reputegmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond reputegmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond reputegmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond reputegmc_rfc_06 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,005,035,929.90

For any athlete that is going to be doing physical work, especially boxing, I would very much recommend that you do nothing to strain the muscles before sparring. However, doing some light shoulder/joint work before starting is very much beneficial.

Just a simple routine to get the joints ready and the shoulders in particular. You don't want to do any kind of heavy work that will invoke any muscular fatigue so keep it extremely light but effective.

Shoulder circles - 60 seconds
Cuban rotations - 3 sets of 20 with VERY light weight
Band pull aparts - 3 sets of 20 with light resistance

This will get the shoulders warm and prepared without any kind of fatigue, you're then good to spar, hit the bag or whatever else. Mind you, I also believe boxers should have a very meticulous training regime that is specific to the ultimate goal.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 AM
HollyMoon
Banned

Total Points: 302.86

i always wonder how those men boxers get that body fit.. now by their posts i came to know.. how hard they work for that..!!!