Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Prince_Pugilist
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Prince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,000,035,661.27

Tyson was an ATG, borderline yes, but ATG nonetheless. He was undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, beating the number one guy in the division. Actually he didn't just beat him, he obliterated him. As he did to many of the top HW contenders of the 1980s. Not only was he winning, he was putting guys to sleep.

There was a slide after the Douglas loss but he came back to win a portion of the crown and only loss to two ATGs while he was still considered a competitive fighter. Tyson's career post Lewis does not count.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM
orriray59
Up and Comer

Total Points: 2,520.29

Nobody can simply sit there and say Mike Tyson isn't an ATG. I'm not an Iron Mike fan, or a nuthugger, but here's the deal.

He cleaned out his division, taking a decent set of boxers by storm. He beat a still very competent Holmes, Berbick, Williams, Bruno x2, Smith, Tucker, etc. Stopping most of them. He was the first and only man to stop Larry Holmes. Guys like McCall, Holyfield, etc. Couldn't stop a fatter and older Holmes.

There's much to be said about a guy who unifies and dominates his division, beating everybody there is to beat. Sure, he ****ed up along the way and has some losses there that are inexcusable, but so what? It happens. Tyson was one of the greats.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
kiDynamite92
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 6 kiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond reputekiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond reputekiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond reputekiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond reputekiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond reputekiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond reputekiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond reputekiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond reputekiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond reputekiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond reputekiDynamite92 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,639,950,744,037.80
Total Points: 1,653,950,760,784.90
Cheers bro! :beerchug: - jose830 

He squeezes into the top 10 for me as a heavyweight, p4p wise I wouldn't know. Maybe in the top 50. And posters calling Tyson a quitter a really stupid, did anyone see the sort of beating he took against Lewis before he went down? Holyfield got what he deserved, in fact Tyson should have gone one step further and bit his fxcking nose off. Holyfield was fighting dirty the whole time, what's wrong with Tyson getting even? Ref should have let the fight to the death.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Anthony342
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,435,135.53
Total Points: 120,119,550,460.96
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

The old adage in any sport is that the best way to get even is to win. He could've held Holyfield and hit him, headbutted him back, pushed him back, etc. and gone for the knockout. No need to bite him. There's just no excuse for that.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Growth
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 63 Growth has a reputation beyond reputeGrowth has a reputation beyond reputeGrowth has a reputation beyond reputeGrowth has a reputation beyond reputeGrowth has a reputation beyond reputeGrowth has a reputation beyond reputeGrowth has a reputation beyond reputeGrowth has a reputation beyond reputeGrowth has a reputation beyond reputeGrowth has a reputation beyond reputeGrowth has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 340,397,808,854,943.12
Total Points: 340,397,808,858,887.44

He was a great, perhaps top fifteen. His fans do forget how dirty of a fighter he was though. Hitting guys while they were down, trying to break arms, elbows, biting and head butts. He was just mean and didn't think the rules applied to him.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,305,980.03
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony342 View Post
The old adage in any sport is that the best way to get even is to win. He could've held Holyfield and hit him, headbutted him back, pushed him back, etc. and gone for the knockout. No need to bite him. There's just no excuse for that.
He bit him a second time after Lane told him that he'd be disqualified if he did. He wanted the fight to be over, but he needed to preserve his "I'm an animal" image. In my book, it was no different than him quitting on his stool... which he would go on to do against McBride.

I'm perhaps the most outspoken critic of Tyson on this site, but I will bite the bullet and call him a borderline ATG. But his lack of a warrior's heart was displayed time and time again throughout his career.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 PM
likeamulekick
Contender

Rep Power: 6 likeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 177,870.20

What he lacks in heart, he makes up on, on his shear will to knock you out with every punch he threw. A full motivated tyson like the 1 on pinklon thomas's night would give most ATGs trouble. I think a young prime, mentally healthy and a patient agressive tyson differs greatly from his other performances
Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 81,403,559,506,750.98
Total Points: 81,403,559,507,893.98
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ziggy Stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeamulekick View Post
What he lacks in heart, he makes up on, on his shear will to knock you out with every punch he threw. A full motivated tyson like the 1 on pinklon thomas's night would give most ATGs trouble. I think a young prime, mentally healthy and a patient agressive tyson differs greatly from his other performances
Hmmmm.....you DO realize that Tyson looked rather pedestrian the first four rounds of the Thomas fight right? The Biggs fight would be a much better example to use.

Poet
Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM
crold1
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 23 crold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,186,476.11
I totally agree with your p4p rankings, Pac is definitely above Floyd. - Neutral 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
Hmmmm.....you DO realize that Tyson looked rather pedestrian the first four rounds of the Thomas fight right? The Biggs fight would be a much better example to use.

Poet
To be fair, it was the rounds between one and six. He looked like a beast in round one.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 AM
likeamulekick
Contender

Rep Power: 6 likeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 177,870.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post

Poet
I was referring to the fact that tyson said in his corner that he was tierd after trying to knock out thomas in the early rounds, tyson battered him round 1 and thomas dint go down. I was talking about his will to finish with a ko in that last round, he digged really deep to finish that fight with a knockout. Tyson stalked biggs in the early rounds, wheras tysons mindset in the thomas fight was him in his prime in my opinion