Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 AM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,107,923.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejd View Post
I've seen your posts in the training forum before -- you've had nothing of value to offer here and now claim to have been a trainer for over 40 years, yet have done nothing. Thanks.
Ray is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever spoke to. He really, really understands the sport on a deeper level.

Ray has helped me out many times over the last few months through PM, and his advice as always been first class and at a depth that shows a true understanding of issue.

You may not agree with everything he says, but at least show some respect.

There are many knowledgeable posters trying to debate things sensibly in these threads, however you keep polluting the forum with nonsense, immaturity and disrespect.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 AM
Live2box
Up and Comer

Total Points: 1,180.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by el*** View Post
I dont know how there can be any question on if his training is effective. It may not work for everyone but it works for him. Its not as if the padwork is the only thing he does and he doesnt solely do it in that one flashy style either thats just what gets put on 24/7 more often.

Hes had his dad and uncle train him his entire life without ever replacing them for some famous top name trainer. If it aint broke dont fix it. I think people are too quick to swap trainers after they lose once.
This is a discussion board and it's normal for people to question and discuss why and how people become successful in boxing. And how they do it. OK, some of the critizism and comments can be a bit too harsh at times. Especially if you are a big fan of whom people are talking about. I can imagine it must be hard for you more if you are a personal friend or family, but that's life. For me personally, fan or not (of the people on topic) I try to take the good and the bad than see what I can learn from it. The bottom line is, if these people weren't successful and famous, we wouldn't be discussing them.

Last edited by Live2box; 12-29-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 AM
deejd
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 deejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 475,371,886.07
Total Points: 1,475,449,358.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAuthority View Post
Ray is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever spoke to. He really, really understands the sport on a deeper level.

Ray has helped me out many times over the last few months through PM, and his advice as always been first class and at a depth that shows a true understanding of issue.

You may not agree with everything he says, but at least show some respect.

There are many knowledgeable posters trying to debate things sensibly in these threads, however you keep polluting the forum with nonsense, immaturity and disrespect.
Glad to see he has your endorsement. We all know how having your stamp of approval makes a trainer, official. It makes him that much more legit. Good job.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,107,923.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejd View Post
Glad to see he has your endorsement. We all know how having your stamp of approval makes a trainer, official. It makes him that much more legit. Good job.
Ok mate.

You have your own opinions - that's fine. What informs these opinions? Are you a boxer? A Coach? A fan?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM
greynotsoold
Contender

Rep Power: 3 greynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,009,437.90

There are a lot of ways to use the mitts, and, I guess, a lot of things you can try to accomplish with them. i don't think it can ever be forgotten, however, that about 95% of the public side of boxing is publicity. In the old days they invented speed bag routines that have made that tool fundamentally useless as a teaching instrument today. Then skipping rope became huge....because Ray Robinson was so good at it that they could charge people to watch him do it. I think that punch mitt routines are going the same way. That whole mayweather trip is something he takes in public because it looks good and makes people say "ahhh." You go do that, all day for a month, you will not be a better boxer, because that isn't what made him good. Ain't even part of it.
When it first came out, I watched the Ringside/John Brown mitts video referenced above...Most of it is crap. That routine the father does with his two sons is impressive, but it is a pattie-cake routine. I'm no expert, no know-it-all, but I've spent some time around this. I started boxing 38 years ago, riding my bike to a gym that produced 2 bantam champions, a heavyweight champ and a guy that won titles in three divisions. I started teaching boxing 20 years ago, and I have worked with several hundred boxers. From 4 year old kids playing around, to kids starting out at 9 or 10, to guys with several amateur fights, to guys fighting pro, to secretaries and businessmen (gotta pay the bills). This is my philosophy on the punch mitts:
With little kids or people too weak to be hitting the heavy bag, I'll let them work on me while I work on their punching technique; I can give them enough resistance to build them up, get their technique to a place where they are hitting with their body and not the arm. In general, with anybody, I try to make it as much like boxing as I possibly can. I constantly talk to the boxer; "slip the jab, hook the body, slide over there, right hand." Like that.
I find that the "paying customers" enjoy that. With the fighters, I feel that I am constantly putting thoughts in their heads. Hopefully, at some point, their voice will replace mine.
I always correct technique: If your feet and your shoulders are not right, an opponent will for sure correct your mistakes. I have used mitt work as a bullying technique, a guy that was an ass around the gym and I wanted him gone. I didn't hit him, but I turned into all his punches and backed him onto the ropes- just catching his punches in my hands-and wouldn't let him off. You should know: In the gym, with any fighter, in front of most any crowd, I can create just about any reaction I want, just by how I catch the punches.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,064,025.11
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

very well said! Its a tool however its become a "demo" to show off hand speed and eye/hand coordination!
Hopefully this thread moves off and sleeps for a few years! hahaha!! I would have staed away except greynotsoldd but it so graciously!! Ray
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM
!! Shawn
!! Shown

Rep Power: 44 !! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 223,463,689,619.15
Total Points: 286,867,462,378.31
Thanks for the advice. - mickey gomez to help keep you sharp in your debates - -PedoBear- Nonito Donaire's #1 fan. He loves talking about him all day. Shawn + Nonito = &lt;3 - subhuman Happy holidays bro! - led* Hypocrites&gt; Hippocrates :dunno: :lol1: - jose830 
Thanks for the karma.  Here's a gift . Always thought u were a good poster  and ur a fellow Rigotard . - Respect Power 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NewYork 

That kind of mittwork has always been something that we do at the end of a workout as a burnout.

It makes sense that Floyd would show-off the flashy stuff instead of letting the cameras film what he is actually working on.

People relying on this for their only mittwork would be ill prepared.