Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 PM
brickcityboxing
Matthysse is a BEAST!!

Rep Power: 6 brickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,500,073,462.19
Socio - CubanGuyNYC Another beer to celebrate our great victory! - CubanGuyNYC Cult of Rigo!!! For Life!!!!!! We Here Baby!!! - Cubanborn87 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp1432 View Post
What I like to do when the fights are happening is keep track on a laptop/notebook of what happens in each particular round. Just take quick notes as the action as happening. They don't need to be anything in depth, but just note what happens in the round (i.e. Boxers feeling each other out. Cunningham lands a good right hand in the first half of the round. Adamek answers back with a left).

This will help you when writing your post fight report for later. For the undercard fights, I like to write the wrap up in between fights. Normally I just write a couple of sentences to cover the bout and go indepth for the main event.

How familiar are you with writing in a journalistic style? Most leads (the beginning) are only a sentence between 25-30 words. Use quotes to support the structure of the story. Trust me, it makes your writing flow a lot better. I didn't do this at first and looking back, my writing was crap.

That all being said, I have a great time at covering events. The fights are just as enjoyable and if anything, you get way better access than you would normally.

Don't focus on being nervous there. Focus on your writing. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've gotten some really good advice along the way from professors to writers in the field (Boxingscene's own David Greisman)

Hope this helps.

(Background info: I've covered fights in the Chicago land area for the last three years. For the past two years, I've written for Maxboxing.com and am a journalism student at DePaul University.)
Thanks a lot ... I was told to get quotes am I supposed to just pull them from off the web ?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-19-2012, 09:50 PM
brickcityboxing
Matthysse is a BEAST!!

Rep Power: 6 brickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond reputebrickcityboxing has a reputation beyond repute
Socio - CubanGuyNYC Another beer to celebrate our great victory! - CubanGuyNYC Cult of Rigo!!! For Life!!!!!! We Here Baby!!! - Cubanborn87 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddycanyon View Post
any other job openings? I've always wanted to do a little boxing writing for New York fights.

Anyway I would err on the side of caution about celebrating too much or cheering for one fighter. I'm pretty sure you can get into it, I have a hard time believing Kieran Mulvaney is sitting there stone-faced when he covers a fight for ESPN.
It's for a nj.com... I cover local events and New Jersey fighters only. It kinda fell in my lap I started going to local shows , "club fights" and started talking to someone and he hooked me up. I would suggest doing the same in NY.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 PM
American Dream
Castillo beat Floyd IMO

Bank: 737,219,919,472.31
Total Points: 737,219,922,164.26

not sure about writing...but judging you cant enjoy the fight like youd like to..I sit quietly and chew gum to help hold back any reaction..I cant clap or cheer..so it sorta takes me out of the element that I would as a normal viewer..but I think writers, much like photographers are able to get involved..especially if not sitting at ring side..congrats on your new job!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 PM
warp1432
the mailman

Rep Power: 57 warp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 115,194,971,448,839.81
Total Points: 115,300,782,306,042.72
5k post celebration. - !! AI-Holmes!! Have a drink on me! - RiZOOM you're killing me in the cotto thread , kid. i'm trying to get 2-1/3-1 odds from a pissed off cotto fan. :-) - Left Hook Tua Always droppin knowledge. Thanks for the vid bro, I owe ya. - Spiegelo No Message - texanballer 
thanks for the support - texanballer For being a stand up guy. You rule. - FRKO Defo in need of an apple warp - danc1984 RBRs when I'm at work are much appreciated - DWiens421 10k posts and for being a good poster - Golden Boy 360 
10k posts warp. Let's celebrate this shit. - danc1984 Marry me, ese. - El Gallo Homo! 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Left Hook Tua 
Send a message via AIM to warp1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickcityboxing View Post
Thanks a lot ... I was told to get quotes am I supposed to just pull them from off the web ?
The fighters will be available o speak to afterwards normally. Talk to the publicist. For Adamek-Cunningham II, there will probably be a post fight press conference to pull fights from.

With some of the bigger fights, a publicist will grab a few quotes when the fighter is in the ring and then hurry and give them to the press so they can file for deadline.

A lot of it depends when your deadline is too.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 AM
brickcityboxing
Matthysse is a BEAST!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dream View Post
not sure about writing...but judging you cant enjoy the fight like youd like to..I sit quietly and chew gum to help hold back any reaction..I cant clap or cheer..so it sorta takes me out of the element that I would as a normal viewer..but I think writers, much like photographers are able to get involved..especially if not sitting at ring side..congrats on your new job!!!
Thanks a lot man !
Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 AM
brickcityboxing
Matthysse is a BEAST!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp1432 View Post
The fighters will be available o speak to afterwards normally. Talk to the publicist. For Adamek-Cunningham II, there will probably be a post fight press conference to pull fights from.

With some of the bigger fights, a publicist will grab a few quotes when the fighter is in the ring and then hurry and give them to the press so they can file for deadline.

A lot of it depends when your deadline is too.
Thanks for the info dude, feel a little less anxious going into it.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 AM
ILLuminato
Don't be a Flo-Bot

Rep Power: 13 ILLuminato has a reputation beyond reputeILLuminato has a reputation beyond reputeILLuminato has a reputation beyond reputeILLuminato has a reputation beyond reputeILLuminato has a reputation beyond reputeILLuminato has a reputation beyond reputeILLuminato has a reputation beyond reputeILLuminato has a reputation beyond reputeILLuminato has a reputation beyond reputeILLuminato has a reputation beyond reputeILLuminato has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,746,819.83
Total Points: 12,285,019.91
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Piggu 

Learn the inverted pyramid style of writing. Most important info first, then next important, etc.

I honestly don't feel a quote from a fighter is needed unless there is cause for one.

Don't worry, keep relaxed, don't try to pay attention to every little detail, but keep notes on each round. If they have wifi at the venue, it'd be very useful to write the story there instead of waiting to get home.

Last edited by ILLuminato; 12-20-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Mr. David
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 21493 Mr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 15,690,961,025,037.31
Total Points: 15,690,961,127,801.04
Happy Holidays David! - Lorily Fighting Words: The Heart and Heartbreak of Boxing - Body Movin' Always enjoy your 'Fighting Words' articles - Trudoe 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickcityboxing View Post
Just got a gig writing for a site. My first event is on Friday and my second one will be Saturday (Adamek vs Cunningham 2 ). I'm about as green as can be when it comes to this sort of thing and I'm starting to get a little nervous. I really thought this would be a "dream job" (not getting paid) , but the more I think about it the more I'm starting to think it might suck to have to sit there and not be able to enjoy the fight because I'm thinking about writing, or I can't cheer if someone lands something big because its prob not professional.

Am I overthinking this ?
Nothing to worry about ?
Can you cover an event and still have a good time ?

Any advice and or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Definitely no cheering on press row, despite those who do it. Beyond that, you can still enjoy the fights just make sure you're paying attention to the story unfolding in the ring.

Find me there before the first bout, say hi, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

-David Greisman, BoxingScene
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 AM
brickcityboxing
Matthysse is a BEAST!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. David View Post
Definitely no cheering on press row, despite those who do it. Beyond that, you can still enjoy the fights just make sure you're paying attention to the story unfolding in the ring.

Find me there before the first bout, say hi, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

-David Greisman, BoxingScene
Wow thanks a lot ! I will definitely do that.