Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM
rollin 99ers
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,215.86
Default Q? For the Southpaw gurus out there.

I am training a left and want to get some tips from seasoned lefty's.
Im on to how Overhands are safer as a lefty and lead hooks are more dangerous, being the opposite of orthodox.
But the thing im not sure of is this? As a lefty throws a cross, how do they recover or is it as important as with an orthodox cross when you have to close back up with a hook or roll out under a counter hook? is it best to close back with a hook or because your already closed relative to shoulders should you roll out on their lead shoulder instead, whats better/safer?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-18-2012, 02:24 PM
purecyse
Contender

Rep Power: 7 purecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 35,202.77
advice - THE_FORKLIFT 

Overhands are safer? That must be a new revelation because I hit sparring partners with lead straight lefts all the time.

Learn good angles to get solid jabs in and you can start really sitting on that left hand as the jab(s) should also be thrown with the intention of getting your lead foot outside of your opponent's.

After you left hand, a right hook isn't always the solution, as you do want to "roll out on their lead shoulder", and, depending on the angle, another jab can also accomplish putting you back on balance afterward.

Attacking like this, you're able to keep "turning" them and you're not leaping into their power hand.

To see a fight where this is done (and allowed to happen) continuously, watch the Pacquaio v.s. De La Hoya slaughter. Pacquiao keeps turning him AND uses an almost half up-jab/ half hook instead of the more traditional right hook.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,072,315.02
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 

During teaching or training its always best to come back with the hook off the back hand! You need to work on ALL aspects theres not one better than the other unless an opponent is in front of you who dictates what to throw! You won't see to many crosses thrown unless your in abit closer and it is hard to follow up with a punch when the cross is thrown correctly unless you step out prior to throwing it.
Work on multiple combinations in the gym and throw what the opponents open for and what you can position him into as your spar sessions increase! Ray
Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 PM
rollin 99ers
Amateur

thanks purecyse, I meant overhands are safer as in it is less risky and safer to throw an overhand as a southpaw vs orthodox that a orthodox vs orthodox not THAN a cross. But i have noticed it is harder to counter an overhand than a straight as a lefty because it either hits you or traps you hand as you block making certain counters harder, any thoughts on this?

Ray Corso: Any yhea text book you hook after cross... but southpaw is not text book is it? Lot of 'wrong' things are actually right.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 

I've only worked with a few southpaws in all my years but I've found the best thing to do is NOT get to involved with the "so-called" way to fight them.
Established the lead foot slightly outside the opponents! (true for both) Their very poor at backing up!!! Don't know why but every southpaw other than Hagler backs up poorly! Punch into his movement........if he's moving laterially to your left use your hook if right use your right hand. Use your jab as much as you normally would as long as its a good one. Most times the hook to the body after your right hand is there against a southpaw. Most of what I'm stating is fact against anyone!! It always comes down to styles so to throw all southpaws in the same grouping won't work!
The problem with southpaws is everyone is concerned with their counters! If you don't have one in the gym then you need to atleast simulate one or go find one! If your an amatuer boxer without southpaw spar sessions your screwed at a tourny if you draw a good one thats why I say don't get overly concerned just get in there and do what YOU do BEST! You may need to figure it all out on the fly just don't wait because 3 rounds is done quick! Ray
Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 AM
rollin 99ers
Amateur

Thanks Ray, as im now coaching up a lefty im trying to teach him how to be a real good slick left hander that CAN move and counter going back and side to side. He is already successful coming forward with power, but now trying to add wrinkles to his game.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

One to two steps back then turn or pivot to his right is very effective against the righties. Most righties backing up will turn out to their left simply to keep their lead hand (left) in front! So for the lefty to step out the other way can catch the righty off guard!! Ray.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM
purecyse
Contender

Rep Power: 7 purecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond reputepurecyse has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 35,202.77
advice - THE_FORKLIFT 

If you're having problems with overhands, be defensively responsible first, by keeping that left hand at home, and don't complicate your counters. If getting hit with them is a major problem then you need to (1)stay out of range, step in to execute your offense and get out, (2)stay on the move when not in range which includes moving away from their right hand, (3)make a conscious effort to work on moving your head in training so it happens naturally in sparring/ fighting and (4)make them pay for real estate anytime they try to jump into your range with an overhand punch.

Hopefully those four things have you (1)in as safe a position as possible when not looking to attack, (2)have your opponent slightly reaching to land that right hand while (3) having to find their target and (4)thinking about the return fire.

As far as I know, the right uppercut, right hook, left straight is a common counter to work on the pads but I actually recommend a well-timed jab. So catch the overhand right and shoot something like an up-jab that allows you to keep your chin tucked and gets that elbow back into position as soon as possible just in case a left hook is coming to the body.

The jab should land solid at a point that they're real vulnerable. If the jab rocks that head back, it's pretty safe to start your offense, especially a strong, quick 1-2.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
rollin 99ers
Amateur

Awesome advice, as of yet not hand any dramas defensively we have been making short work of most of opposition since we have worked together, came together with a 9-3 record since then have a 5-0 (3ko) record and a national title.

The over hand and the exit was to mix up out offense, we have already added a check hook wich produced one ko. Im still getting used to coaching a left hander, i found the overhand is a safer punch to throw as a lefty as a safety first coach it is a punch i only show as a jab counter to my advanced orthadox guys. We found as we fought for the title against a guy with over 40 fights, we started to get the straight left counterd, i want to be able to drill in the options of an overhand to 'trap' and keep HIS over hand at home.

With all my orthodox I pull them up and drill them continuously about never throwing a right hand without defensive actions such as closing up, basically with a hook, or roll out as you see Maywether do after leed rights. I was curios as to weather it is defensively responsible to not roll out or close up, seems a lot of leftys like Winky or Traver just use their feet to stay on the southpaw angle after cross, without a roll or even pivots or any other major defensive moves.