what's up with this hatred of fighters? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 12-30-2005, 03:37 PM
butterfly1964
The HW Sugar Ray!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 983 butterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,088,823.14
Total Points: 1,345,998.51
Default what's up with this hatred of fighters?

some people here really get on certain fighters. i don't get it, hating someone that you don't even know, that's hard to undestand. alot of people here get on tyson alot, saying he beat and raped women and all that and that he's a bum, but he definetely is a top ten hw based on his early career alone. and since he still maintains his innocense, some who don't know the circumstances concerning the allegations should at least give him the benefit of the doubt. alot of other fighters are trampled on as well. i don't really hate or dislike any fighters, except the racist ones from before the 1920s, but other than that, that's it. sometimes it gets out of hand, like if they don't like them, they will try to downgrade their boxing careers when that has nothing to do with what kind of personality they have, IMO !
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Brassangel
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13 Brassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,069,892.67

I agree with you. There is a definite sense of fanboy hatred all over the history forums. People will usually allow their love of their heroes supercede what's in front of them. While this is a site designed for speculation, sometimes it gets out of hand.

On a side note about Mike Tyson, it's interesting to know that he has honorably plead guilty to all charges he's faced, except the rape charges. He holds to this day that she consented. While that's a topic for another place and time, I thought it should be noted. Furthermore, people think that his frustration got to him so thickly in every match that his goal was to bite people or give up. Obviously, this happened very far and few between when you catalog his career. While it's true that his era wasn't filled with giant names, it was filled with a new breed of bigger, stronger, faster fighters, who could all take it to each other. Mike Tyson just so happened to emerge as something special during that time--as the youngest heavyweight champion in history, mind you--and that warrants him a top 10 nod from this voter.

Back on topic, there is a lot of hatred going around. It's as though people take it personal when their favorite boxer is remotely down-talked in any way.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Dempsey1238
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0 Dempsey1238 is infamous around these partsDempsey1238 is infamous around these partsDempsey1238 is infamous around these partsDempsey1238 is infamous around these partsDempsey1238 is infamous around these partsDempsey1238 is infamous around these partsDempsey1238 is infamous around these partsDempsey1238 is infamous around these partsDempsey1238 is infamous around these partsDempsey1238 is infamous around these partsDempsey1238 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 15,279.00

yeah Tyson is a target, so is Marciano so some extant.
of couse there is the race thing with Sullivan, Jeffies, and Corbett(2 a extant, he did face a PRIME Peter Jackson, and even offer him a rematch for the title, Corbett wanted it in America, and Jackson wanted it in England, so it fell though.)
Old 12-30-2005, 09:09 PM
cple
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 15 cple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,618.00

I think "hatred" is a powerful and overexaggerating word. Most posters have fighters that they dislike, but i doubt it is as serious as deep-seeded hate. However, i believe most perceived bashing of a fighter is directly related to the praise of that fighter. Take Tyson for example. In many posts regarding Tyson, there are as many "nuthugger" replies as there are "hater" replies. I know it certainly rubs me the wrong way when posters claim Tyson to be the greatest of all-time and that he could've beaten any heavyweight in history. So of course, i'm going to reply back with a post negating such claims, making it look like i'm simply bashing Tyson.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Brassangel
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13 Brassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,069,892.67

And thus, like many threads on this forum, Mike Tyson becomes the example of many a post. He wasn't the greatest, but he's a top 10'er given his resume, period.

Back on track; maybe hatred is a strong term. The approaches taken by many posters on this website are strong and very hostile themselves. Maybe it's not a deep-seeded hatred, but the words are hateful. People tend to attack others personally instead of sticking to the topic at hand. Maybe Butterfly was touching on instances such as this.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:23 PM
supaduck
Banned

Rep Power: 0 supaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 53,406.00

Mike Tyson, whether it be about how good or bad he was, is one of the most talked about fighters in the world. So naturally people think he's overrated, despite the fact that people usually only state facts. The nuthuggers are what really grinds people's balls.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:28 PM
Yogi
Hey, Boo Boo

Rep Power: 145 Yogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 43,665.36
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! To a clever bear. A Superbear! - BatTheMan 

Considering that it seems like the thread starter hates on Marciano every chance he gets, isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?
Old 12-31-2005, 01:57 PM
supaduck
Banned

Rep Power: 0 supaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond reputesupaduck has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 53,406.00

Erm... yeah. That's one way of putting it
Old 12-31-2005, 04:51 PM
butterfly1964
The HW Sugar Ray!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 983 butterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,088,823.14
Total Points: 1,345,998.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi
Considering that it seems like the thread starter hates on Marciano every chance he gets, isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?
i hate on marciano, give me one instance of that.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Yogi
Hey, Boo Boo

Rep Power: 145 Yogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 43,665.36
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! To a clever bear. A Superbear! - BatTheMan 

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1964
i hate on marciano, give me one instance of that.
One instance?

Well, there was that one time when you complimented that idiot up in NSB for coming up with the 'Rocky Sloppiano' name ("nice nickname. good karma for you").

There's also the numerous times you've incorrectly stated that Marciano was afraid of Floyd Patterson, which I believe you stated was an opinion based only on watching a show from someone who you recently referred to as a "retard" (although Sugar isn't that bad, he doesn't have a very good reputation amongst boxing historians. He's always been more of a writer than historian and boxing isn't even his favourite sport...baseball is, and boxing is even behind pro wrestling in terms of his own perosnal interests).

Those are a couple of instances that I can recall off-hand, but I'm sure I could find more if I looked back through your posts.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List