Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 PM
OLQA
Up and Comer

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 7,064.78
Life will never be perfect. Stay strong mate and good luck with your fight!! - Ogecca MaMa 
Default Orthodox or southpaw

I noticed a few important details today when I was training in boxing with my trainer. I started boxing 3 months ago. I am naturally right handed (I write and throw with my right hand). When I started boxing I decided on the southpaw stance because my left hand is stronger than my right hand due to 2 previous surgeries I had on my right hand.

Today I spoke with my trainer and told him I was naturally right handed (he is also aware of the previous surgeries that I had on my right hand) and he decided to see how I looked in the orthodox stance. He and I immediately noticed that my defense and footwork is a lot better in the orthodox stance. When I am in the southpaw stance I tend to get hit it by the right hand cross from orthodox fighters but today the right hand cross did not land on me when I was in the orthodox stance. As for offense, my trainer and I noticed that my left hand is stronger. Although my left jab is stronger it is considerably slower than my right jab. My left cross is stronger than my right cross, but, my right cross is faster than my left cross. Essentially, my right hand is faster than my left hand. I'm not sure if my situation is awkward but it seems to me that it is. My trainer said that we will continue to work both stances to see which one is for me. Today was my first time training in the orthodox stance.

Do you think I should continue training in both stances to see which one I should ultimately decide on or does my initial training today using the orthodox stance already indicate that my defense will be better as an orthodox fighter than in the southpaw stance?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 PM
mconstantine
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 mconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,500,000,159,506.21

All southpaws get hit by the right hand from orthodox fighter at a higher rate so that alone isn't necessarily an indication that your defense is better as an orthodox.

If your footwork is naturally better as an orthodox...that is a strong case to fight orthodox. Do you naturally feel more comfortable moving, pivoting etc. as an orthodox?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:57 PM
OLQA
Up and Comer

Life will never be perfect. Stay strong mate and good luck with your fight!! - Ogecca MaMa 

Good point, I didn't think of it that way, but, it makes a lot of sense.

While I think my footwork was better today when I was using the orthodox stance, I'm not 100% sure if it is better than my southpaw stance. I made a mental note when I was doing situational sparring in the orthodox stance that I should move around the ring more. I did not pivot, but I was moving well laterally.

I think my pivots are better in the southpaw stance.

I forgot to mention, my left uppercut in the southpaw stance is my strongest punch, my left uppercut in the orthodox stance is much stronger than my right uppercut in the southpaw stance. Left hook and right hook are pretty much the same in strength from either stance.

My head movement was better in the orthodox stance, too.

Last edited by OLQA; 05-20-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:26 AM
mconstantine
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 mconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,500,000,159,506.21

You seem all over the place lol....which may mean you could comfortably fight in either stance.

So lets audit what you do best in each stance...

Footwork = Orthodox...but unsure
Defense = Orthodox...but not sure
Jab = Southpaw (Speed > Power)
Cross = Orthodox (Speed > Power)
Hooks = Tie
Lead Uppercut = Orthodox
Back Uppercut = Southpaw

The first 4 criteria here are really the most important. Upper cuts aren't primary tools for most fighters...especially a left upper cut from southpaw stance (dangerous punch...must be very quick to use). I'd rather have a stronger jab than stronger cross...assuming the cross isn't completely weak. I'm a big believer in defense first and having good, sound footwork...which stance you should use will boil down to which you're able to best defend yourself from within the style of defense that suits you and can still allow you to be offensive. Sounds like you need to continue to experiment.

You also should understand the fundamental differences between fighting southpaw vs. orthodox....for example...if you're southpaw...you may rely on your straight left (cross) more since that is a primary weapon for a southpaw against an orthodox. You said you're straight left cross is slow...that is a strike against the southpaw stance.

If I had to guess based on what you've said so far...orthodox seems to make the most sense...but without actually SEEING you and you only being 3 months in...it still may be too soon to determine.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 AM
GrandpaBernard
motherfuc

Rep Power: 0 GrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 54,142,988.82
For the insight! - Lazerjab Happy new years bro! - Lazerjab 

I'd go with orthy. You'll be a more well balanced fighter. How is your left hook from this stance?

Good footwork is key it allows you to get your offense off.

Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 05-21-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:40 AM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,107,743.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLQA View Post
I noticed a few important details today when I was training in boxing with my trainer. I started boxing 3 months ago. I am naturally right handed (I write and throw with my right hand). When I started boxing I decided on the southpaw stance because my left hand is stronger than my right hand due to 2 previous surgeries I had on my right hand.

Today I spoke with my trainer and told him I was naturally right handed (he is also aware of the previous surgeries that I had on my right hand) and he decided to see how I looked in the orthodox stance. He and I immediately noticed that my defense and footwork is a lot better in the orthodox stance. When I am in the southpaw stance I tend to get hit it by the right hand cross from orthodox fighters but today the right hand cross did not land on me when I was in the orthodox stance. As for offense, my trainer and I noticed that my left hand is stronger. Although my left jab is stronger it is considerably slower than my right jab. My left cross is stronger than my right cross, but, my right cross is faster than my left cross. Essentially, my right hand is faster than my left hand. I'm not sure if my situation is awkward but it seems to me that it is. My trainer said that we will continue to work both stances to see which one is for me. Today was my first time training in the orthodox stance.

Do you think I should continue training in both stances to see which one I should ultimately decide on or does my initial training today using the orthodox stance already indicate that my defense will be better as an orthodox fighter than in the southpaw stance?
There's no need to commit to a certain stance just yet.

Keep working both, eventually you will naturally begin to favour one stance over the other based on success in the ring sparring.

Let experience decide.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
OLQA
Up and Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconstantine View Post
You seem all over the place lol....which may mean you could comfortably fight in either stance.

So lets audit what you do best in each stance...

Footwork = Orthodox...but unsure
Defense = Orthodox...but not sure
Jab = Southpaw (Speed > Power)
Cross = Orthodox (Speed > Power)
Hooks = Tie
Lead Uppercut = Orthodox
Back Uppercut = Southpaw

The first 4 criteria here are really the most important. Upper cuts aren't primary tools for most fighters...especially a left upper cut from southpaw stance (dangerous punch...must be very quick to use). I'd rather have a stronger jab than stronger cross...assuming the cross isn't completely weak. I'm a big believer in defense first and having good, sound footwork...which stance you should use will boil down to which you're able to best defend yourself from within the style of defense that suits you and can still allow you to be offensive. Sounds like you need to continue to experiment.

You also should understand the fundamental differences between fighting southpaw vs. orthodox....for example...if you're southpaw...you may rely on your straight left (cross) more since that is a primary weapon for a southpaw against an orthodox. You said you're straight left cross is slow...that is a strike against the southpaw stance.

If I had to guess based on what you've said so far...orthodox seems to make the most sense...but without actually SEEING you and you only being 3 months in...it still may be too soon to determine.
Okay, I just finished my training session today. My footwork (especially pivots) are better in the southpaw position. I move more naturally in the southpaw stance although for some reason I like to move more when I am in the orthodox position.

It is easier for me to defend against a right cross because my head movement is better at defending against the right cross in the orthodox stance. I need to work on defending the right cross better in the southpaw stance.

Although my right cross is faster than the left cross, the left cross is significantly stronger and I want to stress the word significantly--it is a lot stronger.

My right hook in the southpaw stance is faster than the left hook in the orthodox stance. They are probably both equally strong.

In the southpaw stance, my left hook is 10x stronger than my right hook in the orthodox stance.

My trainer said that I am better as a southpaw but he wants to develop both stances so I can confuse the opposition.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM
OLQA
Up and Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
I'd go with orthy. You'll be a more well balanced fighter. How is your left hook from this stance?

Good footwork is key it allows you to get your offense off.
My left hook is pretty good from the orthodox stance. Compared to the right hook in the southpaw stance, both hooks are equally strong. The right hook in the southpaw stance is faster though.

Oddly enough, my footwork today was much better in the southpaw stance especially my pivots, however, I like to move around the ring more in the orthodox stance.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 PM
OLQA
Up and Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAuthority View Post
There's no need to commit to a certain stance just yet.

Keep working both, eventually you will naturally begin to favour one stance over the other based on success in the ring sparring.

Let experience decide.
Great point. I think sparring will help me determine which is my best stance.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:50 PM
DIB42
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 DIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,594,761,620.92
Total Points: 18,644,843,115.88

If this is for MMA, then I wouldn't worry too much about eating straight right hands, as most MMA fighters throw looping punches. Especially in the amatuer ranks.

However, you need to be able to time and throw strong straights.