Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: 60's-80's vs Modern era (90's to current) Boxing progression?
Overall they have regressed 28 62.22%
Overall they have progressed 9 20.00%
Around the same. 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 PM
VatoMulatto
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 25 VatoMulatto has a reputation beyond reputeVatoMulatto has a reputation beyond reputeVatoMulatto has a reputation beyond reputeVatoMulatto has a reputation beyond reputeVatoMulatto has a reputation beyond reputeVatoMulatto has a reputation beyond reputeVatoMulatto has a reputation beyond reputeVatoMulatto has a reputation beyond reputeVatoMulatto has a reputation beyond reputeVatoMulatto has a reputation beyond reputeVatoMulatto has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 79,985,632,106.68
i like ur avatar - zab191 

Quote:
Originally Posted by croz View Post
It's progressed. They were saying boxing had regressed back in the 60s. It's just a myth that lingers about boxing and some fans seem to pick it up and hold onto it, I don't know maybe to make themselves stand out.

You know they're saying the same thing about football right now. There's a big debate on about whether Messi is better than Pele and people side with Pele. It works exactly like boxing, the older they are the more renowned they become. Their myth grows and people willingly choose to believe it. Look at the pattern it runs: Ronaldo is better than Messi, Pele is better than Ronaldo. The larger the myth the larger the support, and boxing feeds on that sort of thing. Saying boxing is dead or devolving is just part of boxing culture which has been around since the year dot.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 PM
ELHURACAN58
Weather Controller

Rep Power: 12 ELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 28,997,511,340,422.05
Total Points: 29,019,925,431,588.44
cool boricua - Cleto_Reyes happy new year - bigsmoothh Margarito thread video you posted...lmao!!!..love it - jose830 love that Camacho avi :fing02: - jose830 World Baseball Classic updates :beerchug: - jose830 
i almost spilled my coffee :lol1: Puerto Ricans: The world is in big trouble! - jose830 No Message - Tha_Greatest 

Progressed overall.

More countries are getting into boxing and it's getting harder for fighters to become champs in their early 20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croz
It's progressed. They were saying boxing had regressed back in the 60s. It's just a myth that lingers about boxing and some fans seem to pick it up and hold onto it, I don't know maybe to make themselves stand out.

You know they're saying the same thing about football right now. There's a big debate on about whether Messi is better than Pele and people side with Pele. It works exactly like boxing, the older they are the more renowned they become. Their myth grows and people willingly choose to believe it. Look at the pattern it runs: Ronaldo is better than Messi, Pele is better than Ronaldo. The larger the myth the larger the support, and boxing feeds on that sort of thing. Saying boxing is dead or devolving is just part of boxing culture which has been around since the year dot.
Its the same with every sport. As the decades pass two things I see.

1)More countries have developed in sports over time, equalling a larger field of talent.

2)Everyone seeks to be better so new skills, new diets, new training are invented to make someone better.

In terms of boxing from these two perspectives have progressed. What bothers me is the fact that by time with evolution we are supposedly becoming weaker physically, since we as our fathers work less hard everyday, so our limbs get smaller and we lose more bones as the years pass.

So basically by a scientific point of view, we might be at a physical disadvantage against our ancestors.

Last edited by ELHURACAN58; 11-21-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 PM
WolfGirl
Banned

Rep Power: 0 WolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 61,132.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
The best will be competitive in ANY era.

It's the guys they fought on their way to the top that have regressed.
Good post. Although the heavyweights(outside of k2) of this current era is seriously appalling.
I just finished reading an article on how Alexander Povetkin is the 3rd best heavyweight of this era. Honestly, I think he is. I just can't imagine Povetkin against even a Golota or a Mercer.
The Golota who fought Bowe might have killed Povetkin(assuming Andrew don't self destruct)
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 AM
KidKwik
Contender

Rep Power: 0 KidKwik is infamous around these partsKidKwik is infamous around these partsKidKwik is infamous around these partsKidKwik is infamous around these partsKidKwik is infamous around these partsKidKwik is infamous around these partsKidKwik is infamous around these partsKidKwik is infamous around these partsKidKwik is infamous around these partsKidKwik is infamous around these partsKidKwik is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 1,300,080,551.84

Well the higher weight divisions have regressed. Welterweights and down really make all the money now which is the polar opposite of what happened in boxings golden age
Old 11-22-2012, 01:17 AM
RINGG
Don't ask me

Rep Power: 148 RINGG has a reputation beyond reputeRINGG has a reputation beyond reputeRINGG has a reputation beyond reputeRINGG has a reputation beyond reputeRINGG has a reputation beyond reputeRINGG has a reputation beyond reputeRINGG has a reputation beyond reputeRINGG has a reputation beyond reputeRINGG has a reputation beyond reputeRINGG has a reputation beyond reputeRINGG has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 326,141,493,591,637.12
Total Points: 326,141,493,595,663.88
Ring RINGG Ringaling.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Congrats on 20K solid KO's,, - !! AI-Holmes!! These are great - jazluvr Thanks, drink up. - Round 1 Ice cold. - Hard Dick 
here you go bro - chiguy91 cocktail hour - MANGLER uploads! - BostonGuy uploads! - BostonGuy uploads! - BostonGuy 
uploads! - BostonGuy Have a cold one on me bud - jazluvr have a snack - MANGLER No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest For 23k posts - Round 1 merry christmas - the collector Happy holidays bro! - led* Keep it in the fridge for a few days :-) All the best mate! - Thunder62 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - ??? Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ??? Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANGLER Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 

Boxing has regressed. But there are some good fights happenin!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:28 AM
joesaiditstrue
wat da problem iz

Rep Power: 12 joesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond reputejoesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond reputejoesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond reputejoesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond reputejoesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond reputejoesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond reputejoesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond reputejoesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond reputejoesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond reputejoesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond reputejoesaiditstrue has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 70,103,877,481.38
Total Points: 70,103,887,255.95

is this a joke? boxing was insanely popular 30-40 years ago, we had mike Tyson's punch-out on NES, closest we've had since then is Paulie malignaggi playing little Mac in the wii commercial
Old 11-22-2012, 02:59 AM
prinzemanspopa
queenmanspopa

Rep Power: 11 prinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 526,537.36
No Message - poet682006 No Message - poet682006 No Message - poet682006 Top Poster - Stone Roses! one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. 
Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - nightowl Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - GALACTUS 

It's most evident among most young American fighters,which is a testament to how downright awful the amateur boxing system is within that country.Plenty of these guys are really athletic,sometimes explosive,but they're just plain retarded when it comes to the actual fundamentals of boxing.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:38 AM
Miburo
Double X

Rep Power: 291 Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 278,206,513,153,869.00
Total Points: 278,737,995,829,948.84
Here's a superman gift, for being brave enough to fukk squids - Erik13 I shall try my best to improve my reputation. - Robin Hood Here's for the 7k post! - led Happy 7k! :) - *Boss Lady* xmas gift, even though i'm almost 1000% sure you don't celebrate it.. - Ether 
Thank you ! - BulgariasFinest Happy 8k! :) - Bossy Here's one for the 8k party - led I found a way to fix &quot;it&quot;....pm me, ill be more than happy to help you - Mike Tyson77 I'm new here but congratulations on your 9000 post...cheers! - jose830 
For going 10,000 strong! - codey for your service. - codey 10000 - TBear Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy new year, Teng. - Terrel 
the first bottle is on me homie! - jose830 Happy 10.5k tard! - led* 
Autism - Pension-Killer Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - project xxx1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Point Giver Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

It's on a fighter-by-fighter basis. There haven't been any drastic advances in boxing technique since the late 40s. It all depends on who decides to use it. Overall there was a greater quantity of really skilled fighters in previous decades however.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:36 AM
damuttz112
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 10 damuttz112 has a reputation beyond reputedamuttz112 has a reputation beyond reputedamuttz112 has a reputation beyond reputedamuttz112 has a reputation beyond reputedamuttz112 has a reputation beyond reputedamuttz112 has a reputation beyond reputedamuttz112 has a reputation beyond reputedamuttz112 has a reputation beyond reputedamuttz112 has a reputation beyond reputedamuttz112 has a reputation beyond reputedamuttz112 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 55,248.06
To a good poster - FkDaHtrs To a good poster - FkDaHtrs No Message - FkDaHtrs No Message - FkDaHtrs 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - FkDaHtrs Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - FkDaHtrs 

Tyson used to be the highest paid athlete in America more than Mayweather, Times have changed.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 AM
onetwopunch
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 12 onetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 32,905.83

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGirl View Post
Good post, but I have to disagree about the Lennox part. Lennox and Wlad are in part victims of their size when it comes to dissecting their overall chances against the smaller guys of the 60's-70's era. Some people mistakenly think that because they are bigger, they are naturally slower or have less boxing skills and just rely on strength.

Lewis is not a slow lumbering 6'5-6'6 245 pound fighter that only have one style. Lennox is a very agile 6'5-6'6 245 pound supreme boxer/puncher/jabber with an array of styles that make him a nightmare for most ATG'S when he is firing on all cylinders.

Lewis can bomb you out via Golota/Ruddock/Grant, imposing his shocking strength and immense powers or he can outbox you 10-2 against a still elite version of Holyfield or toy with the likes of p4p puncher Tua.

Lennox's jab is a thing of beauty to watch in that it is not a straight jab but it comes in variations. Wlad's jab is probably more powerful and Holme's is more accurate but neither have the sheer follow ups of Lewis.
He will jab than quickly convert that very jab into a hook or straight left/right. He will jab than quickly turn it into a body combination.

Lewis had underrated defense as well, he is a masterful counter puncher and against Briggs the entire shoulder roll was on display.
Lennox slipping/shoulder rolling Brigg's punches than smiling at him and following that up with a massive KD was beautiful.

He's inside fighting might not be on par with Bowe's but it was still very very lethal and he throws that upper cut with vicious intent.

With all due respect to Frazier/Norton I just don't think they can over come someone of Lennox' size,strength,power,and boxing skills.

He was a great technican as well and that is actually what the main criticisms was when it comes to Lewis.

NY TIMES repeatly bashed Lennox during his fighting days calling him

"a giant who boxes instead of slugs' and 'why can't we see more Golota Lennox displays, why does he have to be so tactical'

Lewis is truely a very very unique heavyweight and Wladimir comes from that same mold of agile fast moving boxing giants who also happen to have power and ring generalship.
I respect your opinion, but in my eyes if Lenox couldnt really dominate a past his prime Evander..then I cant see how he would be able to step into the ring againts the great heavy weights of the past, Lenox was a good heavy weight but I dont think he would be able to hang with the likes of a prime Foreman,Shavers or Frazer Norton etc..

And yes Lenox had a nice heavy accurate jab, and his right hand was nothing to sneeze at either. But his chin wasnt all that and I cant see how it would hold up againts a hard hitting dynamic HW.