Boxing Forum
  Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Boxing Scene Lounge
Register Blogs Chat Arcade Groups Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Null
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 Null has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,027,005,148.70
good ownage of floydiots. - I'm so sorry merry christmas - the collector 
Default Guitar Practice

I was wondering if anyone here plays guitar and can give me suggestions on how to practice. I want speed, I don't care about heart and soul, I want mechanical ability and that is it. Does anyone have practice routines that are effective for speed and technique, in general. I have many instructional dvds by Malmsteen, Johnson, Batio, Lee, Gilbert, May. I notice these are more lick oriented videos and not really foundation dvds. However, I recently stumbled on a dvd by Frank Gambale called Chop Builder and it is set up like an exercise program, almost like an aerobics video in format, and so he says to practice the program three times a week and the results will come. He has it set up in Rounds from 1-10. Rounds 1-3 are for picking, Rounds 4-6 are for the fret hand with many scales and modes, Rounds 7-9 are a combination of both with string skipping, arpeggios, and hammer ons/pull offs, and Round 10 is chords. I have always struggled with an effective guitar practice program, but I feel this will be effective. The reason I feel this way is because I tried it and I felt soreness in my hand and arm in places I have not felt soreness before. He puts an emphasis on endurance.

My previous program was mostly focused on permutations and combinations with respect to fingers on the fret hand. For example 1234, 1243, 1324, etc either in static position(one string, same position) or dynamic(all six strings, same position). Although I like this program, as well, I did not have enough repetitions and so no progress was observed. I relate this to doing one push up a day, which will obviously not show results when compared to 100 push ups a day. I think this program has potential and so I tweaked it to include more repetitions. I also have a program for guitar picking, since I train hands individually, but I feel my picking is okay.

I will be practicing Gambale's workout on Mon, Wed, Fri and my own permutations and combinations workout on Tue, Thur, Sat, and Sun. I just want to say that I believe it is important to have exercises with many repetitions in order to build endurance and in order to get the burn feeling that is common with effective exercise programs. Feeling the burn is what I am looking forward to the most. Speed will come with practice.

Finally, I must say that music theory is something that is important to me. However, I have only read one book on the subject and so my understanding of theory is very weak. Therefore, I look forward to taking several classes on music theory in order to have a good foundation on which to base my musical playing on. For now, I am satisfied playing the music of my heroes and, once I feel worthy, I will begin trying to make my own music.

I would like to add Petrucci, Morse, Moore, Morse, and Holdsworth to my instructional dvd collections. Another good book I have is by Troy Stetina called Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, that guy is a good teacher and has good suggestions for improving guitar playing.

Please provide your suggestions.

Last edited by Null; 11-07-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Null
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 Null has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond repute

I should add that the platform I use for my guitar practice is a program on my computer known as Guitar Speed Trainer. It is really cool since you simply add the exercises into the program and you start it at a certain tempo(beats per minute) and it automatically increments the tempo once the exercise is done. Therefore, you can play along with an exercise, as the computer plays the exercise as well, and the computer increments the tempo at a rate of about 5 beats per minute. You can play along until you can't play the exercise cleanly and so you establish that point as your failure point. What I do is I set that as a plateau and so the next day I come back and I try to increase where my plateau is located, with respect to beats per minute. Here is an image of the program GUI. I only do about five repetitions though and after that it just looks like a plateau and not like what the image shows.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM
AntonTheMeh
NSB, DKSAB....

Rep Power: 59 AntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,176,352,498.65
That RJJ clip... LMAOOOOO - sweet pea 50 Hard cold cash. - Hard Dick thx man.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Miller Time - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - Old Coward 
solid posts mate - Alx. have a sneakers homie - Warrios or have a snickers lol - Warrios 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

**** practice. sell your soul to the devil ala robert johnson.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 PM
kadyo
Tua's a Grandpunk

Rep Power: 21555 kadyo has a reputation beyond reputekadyo has a reputation beyond reputekadyo has a reputation beyond reputekadyo has a reputation beyond reputekadyo has a reputation beyond reputekadyo has a reputation beyond reputekadyo has a reputation beyond reputekadyo has a reputation beyond reputekadyo has a reputation beyond reputekadyo has a reputation beyond reputekadyo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 646,483,018,580,840.75
Total Points: 674,761,491,148,826.50
For keeping my eyes busy in my long wait for gas, Lol! (beautiful Latina's thread) - jose830 UK is a boss plain and simple. - Neutral haha! yeah! gotta love some Uncle Kadyo!! BOSS POSTER - cawadoody For a fellow Zappa fan! - sweetpea87 ran out of green, but here's to the ozawa mention. - chiguy91 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks for being a good generous man - ~BoZz~ Cheers, glad I got one of the best :) Hope you have a good X-mas! - dan_cov Happy holidays Unc! - led* Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Merry Christmas to you and yours Kadyo. I hope 2013 brings you everything you ever wished for - deanrw Happy Holidays brother Kadyo, - !! AI-Holmes!! chur uncle - Capaedia Happy Birthday - jaded raise a glass for carl gauss and james maxwell - Barnburner 
my goodness sorry it was late sir.i hope you had a great day with your family man. - HUGH JASS thx uncle kadyo!! can always count on u 4 support - thuggery Banana for that ass. - robust_ A glass of the finest French wine (thx for k) - QuebecSTAR2 Happy Holidays, my friend! - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HUGH JASS 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman0811 View Post
I was wondering if anyone here plays guitar and can give me suggestions on how to practice. I want speed, I don't care about heart and soul, I want mechanical ability and that is it. Does anyone have practice routines that are effective for speed and technique, in general. I have many instructional dvds by Malmsteen, Johnson, Batio, Lee, Gilbert, May. I notice these are more lick oriented videos and not really foundation dvds. However, I recently stumbled on a dvd by Frank Gambale called Chop Builder and it is set up like an exercise program, almost like an aerobics video in format, and so he says to practice the program three times a week and the results will come. He has it set up in Rounds from 1-10. Rounds 1-3 are for picking, Rounds 4-6 are for the fret hand with many scales and modes, Rounds 7-9 are a combination of both with string skipping, arpeggios, and hammer ons/pull offs, and Round 10 is chords. I have always struggled with an effective guitar practice program, but I feel this will be effective. The reason I feel this way is because I tried it and I felt soreness in my hand and arm in places I have not felt soreness before. He puts an emphasis on endurance.

My previous program was mostly focused on permutations and combinations with respect to fingers on the fret hand. For example 1234, 1243, 1324, etc either in static position(one string, same position) or dynamic(all six strings, same position). Although I like this program, as well, I did not have enough repetitions and so no progress was observed. I relate this to doing one push up a day, which will obviously not show results when compared to 100 push ups a day. I think this program has potential and so I tweaked it to include more repetitions. I also have a program for guitar picking, since I train hands individually, but I feel my picking is okay.

I will be practicing Gambale's workout on Mon, Wed, Fri and my own permutations and combinations workout on Tue, Thur, Sat, and Sun. I just want to say that I believe it is important to have exercises with many repetitions in order to build endurance and in order to get the burn feeling that is common with effective exercise programs. Feeling the burn is what I am looking forward to the most. Speed will come with practice.

Finally, I must say that music theory is something that is important to me. However, I have only read one book on the subject and so my understanding of theory is very weak. Therefore, I look forward to taking several classes on music theory in order to have a good foundation on which to base my musical playing on. For now, I am satisfied playing the music of my heroes and, once I feel worthy, I will begin trying to make my own music.

I would like to add Petrucci, Morse, Moore, Morse, and Holdsworth to my instructional dvd collections. Another good book I have is by Troy Stetina called Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, that guy is a good teacher and has good suggestions for improving guitar playing.

Please provide your suggestions.
I see you got enough materials to practice on. I have no idea what they are but during my younger years I practice scales of hendrix and santana. And yes combination and permutation of them on a scale will make you faster if you practice daily. I ain't into guitar playing anymore. More of a listener now of old school players. Good luck my man.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Null
Undisputed Champion

Thanks everybody and yes, of course I would sell my soul to the devil, in a heartbeat, at the crossroads.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Miburo
Double X

Rep Power: 291 Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 202,658,369,854,969.97
Total Points: 203,189,852,525,998.62
Here's a superman gift, for being brave enough to fukk squids - Erik13 I shall try my best to improve my reputation. - Robin Hood Here's for the 7k post! - led Happy 7k! :) - *Boss Lady* xmas gift, even though i'm almost 1000% sure you don't celebrate it.. - Ether 
Thank you ! - BulgariasFinest Happy 8k! :) - Bossy Here's one for the 8k party - led I found a way to fix "it"....pm me, ill be more than happy to help you - Mike Tyson77 I'm new here but congratulations on your 9000 post...cheers! - jose830 
For going 10,000 strong! - codey for your service. - codey 10000 - TBear Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy new year, Teng. - Terrel 
the first bottle is on me homie! - jose830 Happy 10.5k tard! - led* 
Autism - Pension-Killer Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - project xxx1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Point Giver Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

Damn hardcore sh1t like this is so crazy to me Just mess around until you're good like all the greats, no theory needed.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 PM
New England
Heavy Duty

Rep Power: 96 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 81,633,219,407,374.62
Total Points: 87,635,901,038,157.30
consistently excellent posts that always strike to the heart of the matter - It's Ovah Congrats on 3000 First Class Posts buddy! - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 
I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery 
Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley 

malmsteen was a classically trained musician. he might try and fool you with all that macho crap, but the guy put the work in

you'll need a musical base before you get to the shredding. shredders are a lot of fun, but they all got there the hard way, which is by learning to be musical before you learn to move your fingers quickly

on your chops:
get a metronome and keep at it.

downpicking, alternate picking, tremelo. whatever. just play and make sure it's in time.

go through the modes, scales, arpegios, sweeps, whatever, but make sure that you're playing music and not just dicking around.

my favorite shredders are buckethead, randy rhodes, and eddie van halen.

the truth is that i can't stand osme of the stuff that shredders do any more. it's often guitar pron, not music.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 PM
MaD vEiN
Some Kind Of Monster

Rep Power: 33 MaD vEiN has a reputation beyond reputeMaD vEiN has a reputation beyond reputeMaD vEiN has a reputation beyond reputeMaD vEiN has a reputation beyond reputeMaD vEiN has a reputation beyond reputeMaD vEiN has a reputation beyond reputeMaD vEiN has a reputation beyond reputeMaD vEiN has a reputation beyond reputeMaD vEiN has a reputation beyond reputeMaD vEiN has a reputation beyond reputeMaD vEiN has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 54,380,199,644,662.38
Total Points: 54,380,199,849,151.30
gift pare, apple sakin - pacman777 Superman for you - JM1 pareko eto na ung superman. ako naman. - jhacen yan na logo mo - yeks keep up the pacmania... - pacman777 
Have a piece of cake homey - mangler Don't be scared homey, Jason luvs you lol - mangler Have some fish, its good for you ; ) - Roy O'Bannon san miguel - Champ Kind Here homey. You need more food - mangler 
good thread at the thunderdome - peyk-peyk No Message - Talisayen food pre - Jack Napier para sa superman pre. - peyk-peyk parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier 
:) - *Boss Lady* Thank you! :kiss: - Bossy san miguel - Left Hook Tua mai thai - Left Hook Tua Red horse pre para lasheng agad. - led* 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Mr._Pink Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - mangler Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Mr._Pink Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 

im never really into fast shredding though i have some exceptions who can incorporate it with melodic tunes better than the others (Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson)

i prefer simple scales esp. Blues
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Null
Undisputed Champion

I hear you guys. I would like to say that I don't want to play fast just for the sake of playing fast. Speed should be used to add intensity to music. However, I still want it to be part of my arsenal. Many of the genres that I like use speed in a very interesting manner. These styles include classical, jazz, rock, blues, country, and video game music. This is my favorite guitarist everybody...

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Rockim'
square theory

Rep Power: 31 Rockim' has a reputation beyond reputeRockim' has a reputation beyond reputeRockim' has a reputation beyond reputeRockim' has a reputation beyond reputeRockim' has a reputation beyond reputeRockim' has a reputation beyond reputeRockim' has a reputation beyond reputeRockim' has a reputation beyond reputeRockim' has a reputation beyond reputeRockim' has a reputation beyond reputeRockim' has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,009,360,760.95
thanks for the rep - hectari 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - rorymac 

kind of progerrisve rock guitarist?