Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 AM
hailmary5150
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 4,703.01
Default Help on the Jab & Cross

Can someone take a look and give me tips on what i can do to make my jab and cross more effective?

Thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=JKKClMIBNOA

How is the form?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 AM
BulgariasFinest
warrior

Rep Power: 5 BulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 41,584,321,662,693.27
Total Points: 41,584,321,666,987.83
Great poster. - dancovboxer For luck - rorymac For the Sig Thanks! - Lazerjab A classy poster - led Here's one right back for having the balls to try and understand that stupid bitch!! - Pretty Boy1 
you deserve more of these - Alx. Merry Christmas to you and yours bro! - jose830 Happy new year to you too :D - Terrel anytime bro! cheers!!! - jose830 . - PAC-BOY 
Glad you agree with me thanks for the rep - hectari 

Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 AM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,106,988.60

Try not to lean forward on both the Jab and the cross - if you feel that you are too far away, get your feet into the correct position to reduce this tendency. This limits your rotation and moves your weight off your rear foot thus reducing power and balance.

Also, you need to anchor your feet to the ground by dropping your weight more, particularly when throwing the right hand. Notice how your rear foot and hips are lifting slightly. Your hips need to drop as you throw the right - simply bend your front knee slightly as you throw the right and your hips will fall and thus push both feet into the ground (If you don't lean in as advised above).

You need more hip drive and shoulder rotation on the right hand.

Hope this helps for now.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,057,682.64
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero 

For practice throw your jab at your own height so it comes out straight and returns high. Step with your jab into the bag and then drop some weight on your right leg (sitting down) so you have some power! Your not pronating (turning your wrists down) so theres not much snap to your shots. If you pronate correctly and concentrate on your hand sppeed then sit down properly you'll be moving that bag away from the wall hahaha!!! Turn your hip and pivot the foot out when the right hand is thrown.

Straighten the jab (pronate)
Fast right hand (pronate) turn your foot out (pivot) with the hip (sit down)

.......then don't just stand there fin ish with a hook and slid under or step off to the side just don't stand there.
If you can get that bag in a area where you have 360degrees to move around it!! good luck and power comes from the weight shift, pivoting, pronating and overall hand speed! Ray.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Layzie Kidd
Contender

Rep Power: 6 Layzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant future
Total Points: 14,349.66

Have you had formal boxing training?

Youre not relaxed, punches arent really snapped, and youre leaning too far in. Youre also dropping your right hand and too far off balance.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM
_original_
GGG is real boxing

Rep Power: 20 _original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,860,127,135.11
Total Points: 239,196,470,517.10
War Ortiz!!!!!!! - Sir TomJones Thank you bro. - -Pull ma Finga- Boxing scenes number one vagina. - The Problem Boxing scenes number one vagina. - The Problem Boxing scenes number one vagina. - The Problem 
Boxing scenes number one vagina. - The Problem kick this fool, he racist - The Problem Good man, cold one on me - Alx. You deserve more of these - Alx. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Problem Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Problem Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Problem 

Good tips and advice have already been given here. I know you didn't ask about this, but you should really try incorporating a little head movement into the workout.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 PM
hailmary5150
Amateur

Total Points: 4,703.01

Thanks Guys! Some very good advice here, will take it and practice much appreciated.

P.S. BurglariasFinest how did you embed the video i tried this;

[youtube].....[/youtube] like on other forums but didn't work.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 AM
BulgariasFinest
warrior

Rep Power: 5 BulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 41,584,321,662,693.27
Total Points: 41,584,321,666,987.83
Great poster. - dancovboxer For luck - rorymac For the Sig Thanks! - Lazerjab A classy poster - led Here's one right back for having the balls to try and understand that stupid bitch!! - Pretty Boy1 
you deserve more of these - Alx. Merry Christmas to you and yours bro! - jose830 Happy new year to you too :D - Terrel anytime bro! cheers!!! - jose830 . - PAC-BOY 
Glad you agree with me thanks for the rep - hectari 

Under the video click on the "share" button. After that there is the embed button, click on it, copy the link, paste it here. Done.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 AM
rampant
Contender

Rep Power: 5 rampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond reputerampant has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,610,013,917.13
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - codey 

I thought when you threw a cross that your rear foot would lift/twist?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 AM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,106,988.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampant View Post
I thought when you threw a cross that your rear foot would lift/twist?
Yes, mate. I assume this is a response to my post, as reading it back things may seem a little confusing.

When I mentioned dropping the hips (i.e. bending the front leg on the cross) to press your weight into the floor, I am talking about pressing the toes of the rear leg into the floor. The heel should still lift / twist to allow rotation of the hips.

When I mentioned the rear foot of the OP lifting, I should have been more specific and said his toes were coming off the ground, rather than his foot.

But yeah, the heal of the rear foot should twist / come off the ground but the toe should be firmly pressed into the ground when throwing the right hand.

Cheers.