Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 AM
JJC
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 4 JJC has a spectacular aura aboutJJC has a spectacular aura aboutJJC has a spectacular aura about
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,998.29
Default Strategies for fighting a taller/bigger boxer

I'm one of the smaller guys in my gym at the moment and I'm not that small - sitting around middleweight.

However, I was sparring a taller guy who was about 10kg heavier than me the other day and I got hit a lot. I've only just started sparring for my first corporate (white collar) boxing match.

My corner told me to time his right hand, step to the right and counter with my right hand and I made this work half a dozen or so times. However, later in the rounds I would tire out and my footwork got sloppy.

Most of the guys I'm going to be sparring during training are bigger and taller so I was just wondering if you guys had any strategies for fighting bigger, taller opponents. Especially ways that are going to conserve energy, because my lungs were screaming after three rounds.

I know this question has probably been asked numerous times before, but I would really appreciate any advice. If you want to link to previous threads, that would be great.

Thanks.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 AM
1moreround
Up and Comer

Total Points: 12,466.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJC View Post
I'm one of the smaller guys in my gym at the moment and I'm not that small - sitting around middleweight.

However, I was sparring a taller guy who was about 10kg heavier than me the other day and I got hit a lot. I've only just started sparring for my first corporate (white collar) boxing match.

My corner told me to time his right hand, step to the right and counter with my right hand and I made this work half a dozen or so times. However, later in the rounds I would tire out and my footwork got sloppy.

Most of the guys I'm going to be sparring during training are bigger and taller so I was just wondering if you guys had any strategies for fighting bigger, taller opponents. Especially ways that are going to conserve energy, because my lungs were screaming after three rounds.

I know this question has probably been asked numerous times before, but I would really appreciate any advice. If you want to link to previous threads, that would be great.

Thanks.
My last 3 sparring partners have been taller than me. At first, I would get totally outclassed, mainly because i was trying to outbox these guys. I would assume that if you're fighting taller fighters, they have a longer reach than you, which automatically makes it harder for you to box on the outside. It can be really difficult, not to mention frustrating, to try and fight these guys at a distance. So I would suggest getting inside. What has helped me is double jabbing and/or feinting before I go in. Hopefully if you're smaller than your oppenent, you might be a little faster than them. Feint to get your oppenent off balance and quickly get inside...you're more likely to do more damage inside by taking away the reach advantage. Tall fighters have a habit of leaning back to avoid punches, so when you're inside, try throwing the overhand right as their circling to their left. They should walk right into it. I love to jab to the body and follow it up with a big overhand right. I hope this helps!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 AM
~AK49~
Liquor and Whores

Rep Power: 27 ~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 496,099,894,893,104.81
Total Points: 496,141,911,936,279.81
good discussion man. - chiguy91 great game thanks for payment :beerchug: - jose830 Great thread - E.P.T. unicorn land :lol1: - -jose- 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

Yeah, fighting a taller/bigger guys usually drains your stamina quicker. What i usually do when fighting a taller guy is either 1.) Sit back, changing angles and letting him come in and close the distance, countering him or 2.) Get inside and smother him. Still changing angles and such, but dont let him extend.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 AM
_original_
Dinamita

Rep Power: 22 _original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute_original_ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 32,811,750,120.68
Total Points: 257,148,115,204.14
War Ortiz!!!!!!! - Sir TomJones Thank you bro. - -Pull ma Finga- Boxing scenes number one vagina. - The Problem Boxing scenes number one vagina. - The Problem Boxing scenes number one vagina. - The Problem 
Boxing scenes number one vagina. - The Problem kick this fool, he racist - The Problem Good man, cold one on me - Alx. You deserve more of these - Alx. war sutherland - Mike D 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Problem Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Problem Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Problem 

As previously stated, you're going to have to get on the inside and do some work there. Being a good body puncher helps as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 AM
TheHolyCross
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 35 TheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,265,872,179.60
Total Points: 106,497,057,382.22
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier For solid posting - The Surgeon 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - McGoorty 

body body body
Old 11-01-2012, 01:43 PM
deejd
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 deejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 475,371,886.07
Total Points: 1,475,449,303.76

It really depends on your style. Typically, the shorter fighter wants to get inside, but if your reach is about the same (if not to your advantage), you can box them on the outside.

Watch fights between fighters with a major height difference:

Hagler-Hearns
Mayweather-Corrales
Lara-Williams
Guzman-Funeka II

Try to gauge which sort of style fits yours and try different approaches; whichever one makes you most comfortable.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Ringo
Contender

Rep Power: 8 Ringo has a reputation beyond reputeRingo has a reputation beyond reputeRingo has a reputation beyond reputeRingo has a reputation beyond reputeRingo has a reputation beyond reputeRingo has a reputation beyond reputeRingo has a reputation beyond reputeRingo has a reputation beyond reputeRingo has a reputation beyond reputeRingo has a reputation beyond reputeRingo has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 29,186.36
Send a message via AIM to Ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defututus View Post
body body body
There is wisdom in this. Many a fight between short/tall fighters has been won on straights to the body. Too many people revere the hook as the only viable body punch.

I had this same problem for a while. I boxed bigger, stronger, taller guys because of my weight class (it almost made me quit). But, what I discovered is that my feet were boxing tall and my arms were boxing short. That is, I found myself trying to have a narrow, agile stance against a guy who would out-reach me all day. No good.

Try working on:

- Upper body mobility. Shoulder movement, slipping, and catching punches from a wider base.

- Aggressive defense. If you're going to get in on a taller guy, you have to make him pay for the price of holding range.

- Straights to the body. One of the worst feelings in the world is having a guy land a straight to your guts after he slipped a jab. Straights to the body allow you to close range with a larger volume of punches available to you after you get there.

Above all, though - be patient. Boxing taller people sucks, because you feel like you have to try to knock him out of his shoes every time. Not so. Pick your shots, but pick them wisely. It's natural to feel as though you have an advantage when you're the taller guy. But, when a smaller guy begins to land shots and your ribs start to burn, the wheels can come off very quickly. That's what you, as the smaller fighter, are going for.

Hope it helps.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Journeyman
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 12 Journeyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 102,738.29

i would focus on making yourself stronger than them...maybe use the shorter, lower center of gravity to your advantage too..
Old 11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
BarryRobinson
BOXING

Rep Power: 6 BarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,288,326.28
i started watching your vids your a good trainer keep it up - sugersean15 great trainer good luck in the future - Alx. For masterfully owning those haters nyahahahaha - tibbar Awesome ! Looking forward to training with you. - BulgariasFinest They also banned me for rubbish. Try boxrec forum instead. - HaglerSteelChin 
Send a message via Skype™ to BarryRobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJC View Post

Thanks.
Here is a blog dedicated to this specific topic

Pressure Fighting the Black Belt Way with George Benton by A Million Styles Boxing
Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,063,110.45
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

The first thing to consider is the fact that you tired! You need to address that because learning new techniques its going to improve your stamina.

The first thing I always addressed when boxing a tyaller man is to take his advantages away while I'm still using my best techniques so he has to deal with me too! Don't go on the defense to try and solve what you think is a disadvantage. Be first with your jab and get your feet moving, reach is an advantage when the opponent stays stationary, when movement is applied its naturally harder to hit someone!
Take his jab away, get under it and throw combinations, side step it and work him at his profile (on the side of him) anticipate it and throw with him!
Its hard to give you advice because I can't SEE you work, if your fairly coordinated then my advises can help if your fairly talented you'll probably get hit with the guys right hand trying to do do these moves!! hahahaha sorry but internet advice at times is trying to teach a guy to drive a race car whose never driven, its dangerous!!
If you have confidence and undersand the pointers I gave you I know their effective, I don't know if YOU are! best to you! be first when in doubt! Ray.