Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Panamaniac
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Panamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,000,096,877.90
It was private before, fixed it. - HaglerSteelChin 

If by Robinson vs Jones you mean Sugar Ray vs Roy, Jr., let me put it this way: it's an insult to the greatest fighter ever (Robinson) to be mentioned in the same sentence with Roy Jones, Jr.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 PM
El Jesus
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 38 El Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,503,215.08
Just for being a cool guy. That's all. - BennyST 

its not an insult to compare their skill, not at all. the problem is roy past his prime couldnt win a single legit fight (trinidad not withstanding) whereas robinson gained a sense of likeability when he was clearly passed it, jones jr never will have that.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,074,036.31
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 

He was a bit more than "a sense of likeability"! Is likeability a word?
Sugar fought top ten fighters his entire career, he often did "road tours" like in the days of barnstorming so that a local fighter takes a shot at a great fighter or he would have had to fight LaMotta 45 times!!
Sugar was fighting guys like Pender and loosing some tuff decs. to very good fighters that weren't in school when he was the champ!! He went to Hawaii to fight Harrington to help promote boxing on the island and fighting Stan was NO Picinic, I think Stan decs Sugar twice at that time in his career. A few years prior Stan doesn't beat Sugar at anything even if he was tuff as nails.
Young Roy had the tools but old Roy was only there for the check he conceded the lost and accepted the pay out! Its not a big deal because every fighter picks up the pennies when theres only pennies left, not every guy has a great personality and some how the leaches get all of them. If they were all smarter than the next guy they probably wouldn't have been pro boxers! Personally the vast majority I've known and met are some of the kindest most genuine people in the world! No one wants to see Roy in the ring anymore, I'd like to see him put more time in commentating and trying to do better and better on the broacasts. Where as Sugar without boxing was lost he didn't do well being out the ring, it was his domain!! Ray.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:16 AM
El Jesus
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 38 El Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,503,215.08
Just for being a cool guy. That's all. - BennyST 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Corso View Post
He was a bit more than "a sense of likeability"! Is likeability a word?
Sugar fought top ten fighters his entire career, he often did "road tours" like in the days of barnstorming so that a local fighter takes a shot at a great fighter or he would have had to fight LaMotta 45 times!!
Sugar was fighting guys like Pender and loosing some tuff decs. to very good fighters that weren't in school when he was the champ!! He went to Hawaii to fight Harrington to help promote boxing on the island and fighting Stan was NO Picinic, I think Stan decs Sugar twice at that time in his career. A few years prior Stan doesn't beat Sugar at anything even if he was tuff as nails.
Young Roy had the tools but old Roy was only there for the check he conceded the lost and accepted the pay out! Its not a big deal because every fighter picks up the pennies when theres only pennies left, not every guy has a great personality and some how the leaches get all of them. If they were all smarter than the next guy they probably wouldn't have been pro boxers! Personally the vast majority I've known and met are some of the kindest most genuine people in the world! No one wants to see Roy in the ring anymore, I'd like to see him put more time in commentating and trying to do better and better on the broacasts. Where as Sugar without boxing was lost he didn't do well being out the ring, it was his domain!! Ray.
i am aware of this, for the sake of discussion i brought up the fact that jones jr fought horribly past his prime and never gained any sense of redemption from his critics like ray robinson, im aware that jones jrs resume is **** compared to robinson but looking at things in retrospect of there careers is what iw as focusing on
Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 PM
WESS
Most Definitely

Location: From the beaches of F.L.A. to the mountains of W.A.
Rep Power: 41 WESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,695,164,943,494.83
Total Points: 19,932,226,743,377.90
Have a beer bro - deanrw For getting me a Roy Jones Jr. autograph!!! - TRUTH I love you baby! - JESS & WESS this is what all pactards want to do to you but they cant - I'm so sorry respect you as a poster, keep it up champ! - Atreyu Khalil 
God I hate u filipinos so much!!! fuk manny pacquiao stupid filipino, my hero floyd will whoop him - WESS - Panginoon until I can give you green k. - Round 1 Tri-Cities WA Wine Consultant - WESS 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - WESS World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - WESS 

Speed, power, movement, size = Roy

Legacy = SRR
Old 11-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Miburo
Double X

Rep Power: 292 Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 691,791,456,395,070.88
Total Points: 692,322,939,087,743.25
Here's a superman gift, for being brave enough to fukk squids - Erik13 I shall try my best to improve my reputation. - Robin Hood Here's for the 7k post! - led Happy 7k! :) - *Boss Lady* xmas gift, even though i'm almost 1000% sure you don't celebrate it.. - Ether 
Thank you ! - BulgariasFinest Happy 8k! :) - Bossy Here's one for the 8k party - led I found a way to fix &quot;it&quot;....pm me, ill be more than happy to help you - Mike Tyson77 I'm new here but congratulations on your 9000 post...cheers! - jose830 
For going 10,000 strong! - codey for your service. - codey 10000 - TBear Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy new year, Teng. - Terrel 
the first bottle is on me homie! - jose830 Happy 10.5k tard! - led* 
Autism - Pension-Killer Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - project xxx1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Point Giver Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

Robinson obviously. Jones however was more athletically gifted, probably the most athletically gifted fighter ever, which is what made him an exceptional fighter and covered up his skill flaws.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 PM
New England
Strong champion.

Rep Power: 108 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 224,117,456,054,261.19
Total Points: 230,120,137,731,459.53
for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr 
Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack 
i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS 
For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 ugly arms - -Weltschmerz- 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESS View Post

Legacy = SRR
jones was a much bigger guy and probably hit harder outright on those grounds, but he was nowhere near the puncher that robinson was p4p

robinson was a brutal puncher with either hand. brutal. he could knock a middleweight out with one punch, and he threw them often and in fast combinations. his left hook was about as good as has ever been thrown.

at WW he would obviously be much more potent. he's not well filmed at WW, but virtually all of his big fights at MW are filmed.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,342,574,679.70
Total Points: 8,543,718,936.16
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESS View Post

Legacy = SRR

well Robinson is 5'11 some say 6 ft.

I've seen Jones Listed at 5-10 to 5-11.

If Robinson had the means to bulk up like Jones did, he'd be the same size or bigger.

Jones has better speed and movement, since thats all he worked on most of the time. His power was mostly from his speed, so I wouldn't say he hits harder.

You are missing other intangibles, Robinson was a champion, endless stamina, incredible chin and heart. Theres a reason why Robinson has so much success. Back in the day times were much harder and this reflected on Ray Robinson.

When you are bridging eras you have to take into account other factors. Some fighters from back in the day could take your best shot and keep coming all night long. Nowadays its a rarity but Margarito brought it back for a bit.

I think it would be a good fight at MW, But SRRs prime was WW.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
bender2000
Contender

Rep Power: 4 bender2000 has a reputation beyond reputebender2000 has a reputation beyond reputebender2000 has a reputation beyond reputebender2000 has a reputation beyond reputebender2000 has a reputation beyond reputebender2000 has a reputation beyond reputebender2000 has a reputation beyond reputebender2000 has a reputation beyond reputebender2000 has a reputation beyond reputebender2000 has a reputation beyond reputebender2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,034,913.09

no contest at all robinson all the way , his opposition alone is far far better.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 AM
Japanese Boxing
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 5 Japanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 945,031,467.84
deliciousness - tongue me Thanks!!! - DempseyRollin well deserved - HaglerSteelChin 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tongue me 

I'd take Robinson. The dude figured out opponents after a round with him. Imagine if he had time to study RJJ's traps etc. He would bait the bait and punish RJJ. SRR was brilliant, powerful, tough, and had stamina for days.

That doesn't mean RJJ isn't good, athletically he's got it. His game was never, and will never be as complete as SRR's.