Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,469,442.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyST View Post
This is, and always will be, the single biggest factor in determining overall talent in an era. The more athletes across the board worldwide, the higher the talent will be. It's a very, very simple process of the strongest survive; the more there are to survive, the more each person needs to develop to get to the top.

From amateur to pro, the numbers are minuscule compared to what it once was and the overall talent has dropped off. There are always great fighters and there are always bums, but it's the overall level that eventually pushes the best to the fore. If there are many more numbers it goes without saying that if you need to be better than 1000 guys instead of only 100 it's going to take more work. If you then have to fight each month instead of twice a year, you're going to develop true fighting skills rather than great sparring skills. No matter how much sparring and crosstraining you do, it will never replace the adrenaline and intensity of a real fight.

You can't get the true skill you show in all that sparring in a real fight unless the intensity is there and the more reals fights you have the more you can relax in the ring and use all of it. That's the biggest reason why you see guys who have lots of fights in modern times (Chavez, Duran, Brazier etc) look so relaxed in comparison to the great athletes of modern times but struggle with so many simple things in a fight.

A very obvious example is someone like Lacy against Calzaghe. Lacy was clearly the superior athlete in every way, but he certainly lost the fight brutally because he wasn't as relaxed and didn't have the full range of boxing skills under fight conditions. It's one example but it's an important one because it shows very clearly that a better athlete does not ever equal a better fighter. Nonetheless, Lacy would certainly beat Calzaghe in all timed events and science tests to prove a better athlete such as muscle explosiveness and all that business.

If you took those two and never had them fight, but had them tested under modern science conditions as to who would win, I can guarantee that Lacy would get just about 100% success across the board. His 'times' would be better, his strength would be greater, his stamina under non fight conditions would probably be just as good, his explosive capabilities would be higher on a machine, and yet when they get in the ring, one thing that never gets tested, and can't be really, wins one guy the fight easily. Determination, relaxation, skill and chin under fire.

It's easy to beat a time if you can run faster. It's easy to beat a time if you are stronger. It's not easy to beat someone up if you can't hit them or if they have a monstrous chin and you don't. Everything we know about boxing straight away should end this argument before it begins. Better athletes don't win fights. Better fighters win fights and being a better athlete has never, and never will, equal a better fighter.
QUOTE : ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- - { It's easy to beat a time if you can run faster. It's easy to beat a time if you are stronger. It's not easy to beat someone up if you can't hit them or if they have a monstrous chin and you don't. Everything we know about boxing straight away should end this argument before it begins. Better athletes don't win fights. Better fighters win fights and being a better athlete has never, and never will, equal a better fighter.} ------------ ---- <<<< THAT !!!!!!!!!!! this maybe the best and most brilliantly put paragraph I have seen here for a very long time
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,078,120.73
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyST View Post
This is, and always will be, the single biggest factor in determining overall talent in an era. The more athletes across the board worldwide, the higher the talent will be. It's a very, very simple process of the strongest survive; the more there are to survive, the more each person needs to develop to get to the top.

From amateur to pro, the numbers are minuscule compared to what it once was and the overall talent has dropped off. There are always great fighters and there are always bums, but it's the overall level that eventually pushes the best to the fore. If there are many more numbers it goes without saying that if you need to be better than 1000 guys instead of only 100 it's going to take more work. If you then have to fight each month instead of twice a year, you're going to develop true fighting skills rather than great sparring skills. No matter how much sparring and crosstraining you do, it will never replace the adrenaline and intensity of a real fight.

You can't get the true skill you show in all that sparring in a real fight unless the intensity is there and the more reals fights you have the more you can relax in the ring and use all of it. That's the biggest reason why you see guys who have lots of fights in modern times (Chavez, Duran, Brazier etc) look so relaxed in comparison to the great athletes of modern times but struggle with so many simple things in a fight.

A very obvious example is someone like Lacy against Calzaghe. Lacy was clearly the superior athlete in every way, but he certainly lost the fight brutally because he wasn't as relaxed and didn't have the full range of boxing skills under fight conditions. It's one example but it's an important one because it shows very clearly that a better athlete does not ever equal a better fighter. Nonetheless, Lacy would certainly beat Calzaghe in all timed events and science tests to prove a better athlete such as muscle explosiveness and all that business.

If you took those two and never had them fight, but had them tested under modern science conditions as to who would win, I can guarantee that Lacy would get just about 100% success across the board. His 'times' would be better, his strength would be greater, his stamina under non fight conditions would probably be just as good, his explosive capabilities would be higher on a machine, and yet when they get in the ring, one thing that never gets tested, and can't be really, wins one guy the fight easily. Determination, relaxation, skill and chin under fire.

It's easy to beat a time if you can run faster. It's easy to beat a time if you are stronger. It's not easy to beat someone up if you can't hit them or if they have a monstrous chin and you don't. Everything we know about boxing straight away should end this argument before it begins. Better athletes don't win fights. Better fighters win fights and being a better athlete has never, and never will, equal a better fighter.

Great post and I agree with just about all of it.

Only dissent comes down to Lacy vs Calzaghe. I'm not convinced that Lacy would have been the 'superior athlete in every way' at all and probably not in 'timed events' too.

Lacy had a superior muscular physique and was clearly stronger than Calzaghe, he certainly hit harder too. But hand and footspeed? Its Calzaghe......and by a country mile too.

Many on this forum know that I'm a keen runner and barring 100/200m sprints, guys with Jeff Lacy's physique get literally murdered over even lower distance timed events by less impressive looking athletes with 'Calzaghe like' physiques. Its well known that Joe's training focused hard on longer runs as well as explosive hill work. He'd have likely left Lacy for dead on the road and track as clearly as in their fight.

A better example of a superior athlete losing to a better prepared fighter with more nouse and experience is when Sugar Ray Leonard lost to Roberto Duran. Ray Leonard would have probably decimated Duran over any 'timed' event, he was faster of hand and foot, his physique was more ripped, he'd have probably been able to outlift Duran in a weights gymnasium too (being the naturally bigger guy).
Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Anthony342
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,348,172.09
Total Points: 120,119,462,881.43
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Threads like this is why I come here. Thanks for the good reading, guys.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Earl Hickey
Boooooomb Squad

Rep Power: 106 Earl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 331,779,835,227,580.19
Total Points: 332,279,835,788,340.62
have fun with this - Sir TomJones Apple - iBreakbeat You'll need these - Rip Chudd Congrats man! - Rip Chudd Stay safe - rorymac 
Making us BS members proud - Versastyle Happy early Bday and congrats on 10k love :kiss: - Bossy blue parallelogram for your birthday - Jack Napier Happy Birthday darling! I hope you have a wonderful day xxx - Bossy I swear you make my day with every single post. - Alx. 
LOL, that cracked me up. Here's a cold one on me. - BulgariasFinest Excellent poster. I chuckle every time you post that gif of RJJ getting KTFO. - I'm so sorry Here's one on me - led* 14k posts - ShaunRoberts Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 
happy 15,000 - JonoYoungP4P Boxing scenes number one idiot - ROSS CALIFORNIA #FREE EARL HICKEY #JusticeForEarl - thuggery with a bit of luck it's not severe! - HUGH JASS Wilder's right hand leaves them too drunk to stand! - valero 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Gift Giver AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Ether 
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - MANGLER Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - iBreakbeat 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Shiranui Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - thuggery 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
Great post and I agree with just about all of it.

Only dissent comes down to Lacy vs Calzaghe. I'm not convinced that Lacy would have been the 'superior athlete in every way' at all and probably not in 'timed events' too.

Lacy had a superior muscular physique and was clearly stronger than Calzaghe, he certainly hit harder too. But hand and footspeed? Its Calzaghe......and by a country mile too.

Many on this forum know that I'm a keen runner and barring 100/200m sprints, guys with Jeff Lacy's physique get literally murdered over even lower distance timed events by less impressive looking athletes with 'Calzaghe like' physiques. Its well known that Joe's training focused hard on longer runs as well as explosive hill work. He'd have likely left Lacy for dead on the road and track as clearly as in their fight.

A better example of a superior athlete losing to a better prepared fighter with more nouse and experience is when Sugar Ray Leonard lost to Roberto Duran. Ray Leonard would have probably decimated Duran over any 'timed' event, he was faster of hand and foot, his physique was more ripped, he'd have probably been able to outlift Duran in a weights gymnasium too (being the naturally bigger guy).
Not even sure lacy was stronger, calzaghe manhandled him.

It reminds me of when gym junkies work their first day on a building site and can't work out why these skinny guys are so much stronger
Old 10-26-2012, 08:18 PM
SCtrojansbaby
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 16 SCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,295,570.31
No Message - Toney616 Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Christmas amigo - chav 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoorty View Post
Every time you comment on threads like these you show that you are indeed ignorant of the art of boxing, Jesse freaking Owens was a sprinter, NOT A BOXER, does running fast have anything to do with boxing unless your name is Anthony Mundine ???... how does that help your useless and silly argument, I have been absent for months but you haven't changed a bit, maybe the guys here have just given up on you, but as i go through this thread from start to finish I will find out.
Boxers are athletes and as can be seen in sports which have objective #s to compare they have evolved.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:36 PM
STREET CLEANER
The Watcher

Rep Power: 13 STREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 20,635,463.72
Total Points: 31,030,675,851.83
so you can stop being paranoid about me, we will always be true blue homies forever even though you hate me - Tha_Greatest Salud! - STREET CLEANER i see, my thread annoyed you, lol, that means im doing good, lol, stay angry but keep writing, lol, peace pal - Tha_Greatest 

They are great athletes in every era. Scientifically things are broken down better but it will always come down to the individual.

A lot of the stuff that was used in training and supplement back it the day are still effective today.

Fighters of yesterday had to fight more frequently than today will ever fight. I just don't see how anybody can justify that todays athlete are so much better than those in the past
Old 10-27-2012, 06:49 AM
B-Bomber
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 3 B-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 25,700.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoorty View Post
Joe Louis is a bit small to deal with a very good giant... but put him in with ANYONE his own weight in the world for the last 20 years and Joe Louis would blast them into eternity. Lets get real, Joe Louis was freaking awesome, there is only one guy like him,, and thats himself
I might be biased on this, so correct me if I am wrong, but Joe Louis was
6***8242; 2***8243; / 188cm , thus rather tall , with a rather good 76***8243; / 193cm reach.

In my opinion he would blast most, if not all the current HW division, Klit Bros included.

Even though he only weighted around 202lbs/92kg on fight night, I can see him dominating most opponents at a weight around 215lbs/98kg .
Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 AM
dde91
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 dde91 has a reputation beyond reputedde91 has a reputation beyond reputedde91 has a reputation beyond reputedde91 has a reputation beyond reputedde91 has a reputation beyond reputedde91 has a reputation beyond reputedde91 has a reputation beyond reputedde91 has a reputation beyond reputedde91 has a reputation beyond reputedde91 has a reputation beyond reputedde91 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 158,776.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamike View Post
there is a reason barry bonds has more home runs than babe ruth and it is not because todays athletes are better. We live in the modern age.
take away steriods, and bonds doesn't touch his record. Probably gets around 500 hrs for his career. Ant thats a big maybe. But he wouldn't get the 714 mark. And mcguire, take away his steriods and sosa and him dont get passed 61 hrs. So besides guys who did steriods, who was clean and beat the records? Nobody. Just roger maris and he barely beat it. But he was clean. So im saying babe ruth was a pretty good athlete back then. And would be great in this error to because he is where the mouth is higher up. So babe ruth would be great in the modern era.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:16 AM
New England
Heavy Duty

Rep Power: 100 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 107,713,299,368,482.72
Total Points: 113,715,981,012,240.81
Congrats on 3000 First Class Posts buddy! - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 
thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe 
for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 
top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley 

if you guys are really saying that athletic qualities you're born with have no bearing on the fighter that years of work int he gym is able to produce you are wrong

a kid with zero talent might not make the same steps in years that a premium athlete makes will make in months.

they "get it"
when you're talking about physical endeavors they are "fast learners," and their bodies will adapt and change much more quickly, especially when they are young.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:17 AM
New England
Heavy Duty

Rep Power: 100 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 107,713,299,368,482.72
Total Points: 113,715,981,012,240.81
Congrats on 3000 First Class Posts buddy! - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 
thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe 
for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 
top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dde91 View Post
take away steriods, and bonds doesn't touch his record. Probably gets around 500 hrs for his career. Ant thats a big maybe. But he wouldn't get the 714 mark. And mcguire, take away his steriods and sosa and him dont get passed 61 hrs. So besides guys who did steriods, who was clean and beat the records? Nobody. Just roger maris and he barely beat it. But he was clean. So im saying babe ruth was a pretty good athlete back then. And would be great in this error to because he is where the mouth is higher up. So babe ruth would be great in the modern era.

bonds would be an ATG without steroids. that guy was a complete baseball player

sosa would be a lot less memorable. mcguire is hardly a HOF anyway. junk average, etc.