Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Mixed Martial Arts Discussion
Thread Navigation

Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 124 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,657,798,174,879.11
Total Points: 19,657,798,398,140.82
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest 
Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 
damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted "las mañanitas" on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 happy bday - -Mustang- 
Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth May you never stop spreading your knowledge. - BattlingNelson 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Default Wrestled with a blue belt ju-jitsu pro

I am a trainer at a pro gym in South Florida and we have an MMA section where some pro fighters from brazil have come to work out preparing for some fight in Virginia on the Belator card.

One of the guys, a 160lb pro from Brazil, challenged me to wrestle. I don't know anything about ju-jitsu or wrestling or any of that but I do out weigh him by 30lbs. I am a strong guy, always have been but was a boxer all my life.

Anyway, we wrestled or grappled for 2 rounds and I got on top of him and he couldn't get me off of him. In the final 15 seconds of the 2nd round he snaked around the side of me and got me in some sideways choke when the bell rang.

It was fun, and I did a lot better than I thought I would. I know he was 30lbs lighter but I have no training whatsoever in any wrestling or ju-jitsu. Got tired as fuk too, that sh.it is no joke.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Japanese Boxing
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 5 Japanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 945,029,450.43
deliciousness - tongue me Thanks!!! - DempseyRollin well deserved - HaglerSteelChin 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tongue me 

It's a different kind of cardio for sure. There's a lot of control techniques you can use to stall against people who are better than you and be relatively safe.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM
hayZ
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 hayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,000,035,529,658.99
links - Sir TomJones for posting the truth about Zionism - Freedom. 

Pass guard, try to get side control even and let those hammer fists, elbows flow lololol. Off your back learn some bjj. The great thing about MMA grappling is that you have so many skills/tools to choose from, learn some judo throws/tosses, learn how to control someone on the ground whilst on top with wrestling, learn submissions from BJJ and so on. Really interesting and its sad that only recently it has got the attention that it deserves.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 PM
*Boss*
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 *Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 38,204,677.75
Enjoy the fight, you're an excellent poster! - dancovboxer 

One of those of 3 things happened :
1-The guy probably sucked
2-He was going easy with you
3-You're a prodigy

A legit blue belt would have probably wrecked you. Im close to getting blue myself , i dont see myself struggling with a new guy with no grappling experience unless he's freaking enormous and strong.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 AM
elfag
Hawaiian F@g

Rep Power: 0 elfag is infamous around these partselfag is infamous around these partselfag is infamous around these partselfag is infamous around these partselfag is infamous around these partselfag is infamous around these partselfag is infamous around these partselfag is infamous around these partselfag is infamous around these partselfag is infamous around these partselfag is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 1,100,111,734.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Boss* View Post
One of those of 3 things happened :
1-The guy probably sucked
2-He was going easy with you
3-You're a prodigy

A legit blue belt would have probably wrecked you. Im close to getting blue myself , i dont see myself struggling with a new guy with no grapplin sandg experience unless he's freaking enormous and strong.

nah blue belts are just garbage a nd you are getting overly excited about being promoted to garbage from worse that garbage level. I would destroy you in a street fight under street fight rules
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 AM
shadeyfizzle
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 shadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond reputeshadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond reputeshadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond reputeshadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond reputeshadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond reputeshadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond reputeshadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond reputeshadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond reputeshadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond reputeshadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond reputeshadeyfizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 55,526,649.03
good sportsmanship - jreckoning 

Wrestling and jiu jitsu are slightly different worlds with different emphasis.

Its 1 thing to get on top of a guy even with no previous experience which would be excellent if it were wrestling but in jiu jitsu there are some who would prefer it that way.

Also you didnt exactly do anything with your dominant position other than stay there. Its possible the guy was either waiting on you to make a move which would create openings to counter. Or he could have been aware of the fact that since you have no previous experience he was never really in any danger and may have just been resting down there.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 124 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest 
Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 
damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted &quot;las mañanitas&quot; on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 happy bday - -Mustang- 
Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth May you never stop spreading your knowledge. - BattlingNelson 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

The guy definitely doesn't suck, he's from Brazil and is undefeated in his pro career. I think he's like 8-0 or something like that.

I don't mean any disrespect by this but I think natural strength matters a lot in MMA, more so than boxing. He told me afterwards I was one of the strongest guys he's wrestled with and I would have made an excellent ju-jitsu guy.

I'm not bragging believe me, he was 30lbs lighter and I know that the guy who is headlining the card who is also there, who weighs 190lbs like me would have killed me on the ground.

I just think my natural strength really helped me in this situation. He arm barred me like 5 times and I just picked him completely off the ground. He had me in a hold with his legs (sorry don't know the name of the moves) and I just over powered out of them most of the time.

It was towards the end that I got really tired and I'm in pretty good shape from boxing. Finally he got me in some sideways choke and I was about to tap but the bell rang. He wanted to go another round but I was spent....

Like I said, it was really fun and I have massive respect for what these guys do. They are teaching me basic moves here and there for street fighting purposes because I literally have zero experience in wrestling or any type of grappling. He also had a karate suit on, a Gi I think you call it and that actually helped me because I would grab it and pick him up by it. I think if he didn't have that on, he would have had an easier time with me.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Equilibrium
Knuckles Up

Rep Power: 19 Equilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 580,288,203,850.45
Total Points: 580,288,205,379.33
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo On Me! - Izrock I'm sick of the fangirls. You a real boxing fan bro - mangler 2k posts man - you are one of the very best on here - you need to post more - Dan... the point giver thanks thee for the incredible generosity - the point giver 
parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier early xmas present - jazluvr thread contribution and for after your wake and bake! - HUGH JASS 

I've been training at an mma gym for a few months but i only started bjj this wednesday.

I definitely didn't expect it to be this demanding like you said.

I got matched with a short fat guy that was like 260 pounds, while i am like 235. He's a white belt but he has been training bjj for 6 months, while i had only learned a few submissions in the past.

We grappled for like 25 minutes, he wasnt that strong but he was heavy. He managed to tap me only once near the end with an armbar.

I'm still pretty happy, he could never stay on top of me for long cause i would just flip him over. Looking forward to next wednesday.

I'm still sore from this week.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM
TensionKiller
Banned

Rep Power: 0 TensionKiller has a reputation beyond reputeTensionKiller has a reputation beyond reputeTensionKiller has a reputation beyond reputeTensionKiller has a reputation beyond reputeTensionKiller has a reputation beyond reputeTensionKiller has a reputation beyond reputeTensionKiller has a reputation beyond reputeTensionKiller has a reputation beyond reputeTensionKiller has a reputation beyond reputeTensionKiller has a reputation beyond reputeTensionKiller has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 895,564,145,877.99
Total Points: 895,564,207,330.88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
I am a trainer at a pro gym in South Florida and we have an MMA section where some pro fighters from brazil have come to work out preparing for some fight in Virginia on the Belator card.

One of the guys, a 160lb pro from Brazil, challenged me to wrestle. I don't know anything about ju-jitsu or wrestling or any of that but I do out weigh him by 30lbs. I am a strong guy, always have been but was a boxer all my life.

Anyway, we wrestled or grappled for 2 rounds and I got on top of him and he couldn't get me off of him. In the final 15 seconds of the 2nd round he snaked around the side of me and got me in some sideways choke when the bell rang.

It was fun, and I did a lot better than I thought I would. I know he was 30lbs lighter but I have no training whatsoever in any wrestling or ju-jitsu. Got tired as fuk too, that sh.it is no joke.
Weight plays a much bigger factor in wrestling than say boxing. Boxing relies on more speed and skills, while weight does make a difference. In wrestling, size counts a huge amount because not only is it power, skills, but weight is a huge thing because the other man is going to constantly be at a disadvantage every second you grapple.

Also he could very well be playing with you, and thus waited right til the end. I have seen it in a lot of martial arts class, most just play around and that's just the MA ethics. Not always the case in boxing, but sometimes.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted &quot;las mañanitas&quot; on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 happy bday - -Mustang- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
Weight plays a much bigger factor in wrestling than say boxing. Boxing relies on more speed and skills, while weight does make a difference. In wrestling, size counts a huge amount because not only is it power, skills, but weight is a huge thing because the other man is going to constantly be at a disadvantage every second you grapple.

Also he could very well be playing with you, and thus waited right til the end. I have seen it in a lot of martial arts class, most just play around and that's just the MA ethics. Not always the case in boxing, but sometimes.
No he wasn't playing with me, it got serious after a few seconds. Like I said, I have always been a naturally strong guy and I'm 190 not of flab, I'm pretty solid and he had his hands full. He had me in like 10 submissions but I broke from each one by picking him up or just using strength to over power his grip.

Once I got tired though, it was harder and harder to fight off the submissions and I got caught right at the very end of the second round. The other guy who was there who is a 190lb guy and a pro, would have killed me. There's no way I would have had a chance against him.

His name is Marcelo, he's fighting in some Belatore card in Virginia but they are training here in S. Florida for the fight.

Like I said it was fun, I have the utmost respect for those guys and it is really tiring. My legs were weak after we wrestled.