Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 AM
BIGPOPPAPUMP
Big Bad Booty Daddy

Rep Power: 200000 BIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,502,080,221,599.49
A gift from boxinglibrary.com - vze2hhvj 16k posts. cheers - MELLY-MEL... To our dad. Thanks for looking after us! - S a m u r a i Unban ЯiZO - Hugh Janus Unban ЯiZO - Hugh Janus 
Cheers, to the servers BPP! - mangler unban kev183 - Kevin Jesus Thanks for all u du Pops! - jazluvr For the Sam Tribute thread! Thanks Pops! - jazluvr Our Boxingscene father, who art in heaven.... - Disposable Arts 
A Medal For Boxing Scenes Father...... ;-) nyargles! - BritishBoxing92 Apple for Pump - Poor Lad Enjoy your Parallelogram - Spray_resistant Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
.........no homo - MANIAC310 for the amazing job you do reporting the boxing news! - jose830 happy holidays Popa! - jazluvr To wipe yourself down with after Reeno's sprayed his seed up you - !! Anorak Kudos to responding to the trolling!  Seeing your pic of Mayweather on the throne has become a daily routine for me. - Trudoe 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Butterball Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - S a m u r a i Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - S a m u r a i Childhood Cancer - S a m u r a i 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - -Ash- Head and Neck Cancer - -Ash- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Ash- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - bearman3000 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Grand Champ Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - bigpauly Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Trudoe 
Post Comments Thread For: “Bam Bam’s” Act Long on Thrills, Short on Excellence

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Don’t get me wrong, folks. I’m all for excitement.

When two guys meet in ring center, drop all pretense about a battle of skills and simply stand toe to toe with designs on bashing each other into submission, I get as into it as the next guy.

I appreciated Gatti and Ward. I was in awe of Corrales and Castillo. And I watched with admiration on Saturday night when Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado woke up their predecessors’ brutal echoes.

I humbly concede that the amount of heart, soul and guts that it takes to engage in such a competition – win, lose or draw – goes far beyond the capacity of keyboard-bashing wannabes like me.

In fact, none of us with a shred of integrity would even try to imply otherwise.

But excitement is one thing. Excellence is quite another.

And as titillating as the 1,316 throws and 337 lands might have been to the thousands in attendance and millions tuning in, they weren’t close to proving either the Coloradan or Californian were at all capable of handling a qualified foe whose skills had evolved much past a caveman’s.

Lest anyone forget, the Rios who’s being so breathlessly celebrated today is the same guy whose acumen was in doubt only six months ago, when an opponent with a strategy beyond smash and grab did everything but win on two of the year’s most nose-curdling scorecards.

Heck, that was only Richard Abril – a 29-year-old Cuban with a middling resume – and the springtime odor in Las Vegas was so bad that even the fairness-challenged WBA allowed him to keep hold of an interim title belt in spite of a decision officially split in the direction of his opponent.

But now, after 20 minutes of lumpy mayhem against a 32-year-old with a career’s worth of mid-card victims, Rios has somehow been vaulted past the guy who schooled him and into the high-end element of legit multiple-division entities like Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao. [Click Here To Read More]
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 AM
CubanGuyNYC
Latin From Manhattan

Rep Power: 29 CubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 57,635,367,591,588.88
Total Points: 57,635,367,596,369.55
Good posting - Cuauhtémoc1502 respect you as a poster, keep it up champ! - Atreyu Khalil Cheers! - jsfd26 Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil For being a good poster - Cuauhtémoc1520 
good poster - -MAKAVELLI- victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov Have a beer to celebrate! - dan_cov Le ganamos! - Matty Ice 
We Finally Here, this is our moment!!! - Cubanborn87 how Fredie Mercury would say...We are the champions..we are the champion...of the world.. - *ANGRY CUBAN* Voice of reason - P4P poster. ATG, NSB HoF. - damit305 Happy New Year CubanGuyNYC - TBear Thanks bro, Happy New Years! All the best for 2014. - dan_cov 
Great BoxingScene poster and top guy - a beer for my Cuban brethren! - PainfromUkraine true top notch poster - sugarsmosley intelligent poster, here's a sandwich to munch into - jas 

Nice work, Lyle. That was about the closest thing to Hemingway I've ever read on this or any other site.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:25 AM
ngr22
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 ngr22 is infamous around these partsngr22 is infamous around these partsngr22 is infamous around these partsngr22 is infamous around these partsngr22 is infamous around these partsngr22 is infamous around these partsngr22 is infamous around these partsngr22 is infamous around these partsngr22 is infamous around these partsngr22 is infamous around these partsngr22 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 1,481.42

Absolutely true article. Rios has always been overrated because he's a tough, exciting, and fun fighter to watch. But as Abril proved, if you don't stand right in front of him and let him tee off on you he has nothing else. He really doesn't deserve a big ppv payday yet but he will get it anyway because fans will rally behind him the same way they do with Chavez jr. even though he's a limited fighter.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 AM
kokingbill
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 kokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,245,199.46
Total Points: 1,270,635.81
Send a message via Skype™ to kokingbill

Rios>mattyhse, rios>Judah, rios>Peterson, rios>khan, rios> Garcia. Who else is there at 140 who you think would school him so bad? He'd KO all those guys quicker and uglier than Alvarado. Everyone knows it. That's why they are skipping the BS and puting him in with the winner of Pacquiao- Marquez. Hating is a waste of time. Go be a purist boxing snob elsewhere. You can watch Abril's Olympic fencing boxing style all you want in the dark in your moms basement. Stop lecturing people and looking down at those of us who also like to be entertained. There's no money or interest in the sport without rios and guys like him. You'd be out of a job and not writing about boxing cause no one would watch and no one would care.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 AM
PRBOXINGCOTTO
Matthysse is my god

Rep Power: 20 PRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond reputePRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond reputePRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond reputePRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond reputePRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond reputePRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond reputePRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond reputePRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond reputePRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond reputePRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond reputePRBOXINGCOTTO has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 17,465,633.31
Thanks for the green K ! - codey 

Ure an idiot if you think rios can beat all of those guys Garcia Lucas madaina maybe even khan would beat rios they are bigger then him rios is small and mike got hit way too much Abril beat rios imagine what top guys would do
Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 AM
ElMeroChingon
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 ElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,001,020,080,454.44
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier una chela bien helada........... - bigsmoothh heres a medal for dominating at life - sugarsmosley 

What's wrong with this guy, he sht!ts on both Rios and Alverado after an Amazing performance by both.

Last edited by ElMeroChingon; 10-16-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Grimgash
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 17 Grimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 305,854,978,956.68
Total Points: 327,855,016,149.65
Send a message via AIM to Grimgash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
What's wrong with this guy, he sht!ts on both Rios and Alverado after an Amazing performance by both.
He didn't **** on their excitement to give us an entertaining fight. He just said that Rios isn't a very skilled fighter. He isn't there isn't much in the way you can say to back up saying he is. Exciting yes...but that's about all.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 AM
Body Movin'
60/40 I KICK YO ASS

Rep Power: 24 Body Movin' has a reputation beyond reputeBody Movin' has a reputation beyond reputeBody Movin' has a reputation beyond reputeBody Movin' has a reputation beyond reputeBody Movin' has a reputation beyond reputeBody Movin' has a reputation beyond reputeBody Movin' has a reputation beyond reputeBody Movin' has a reputation beyond reputeBody Movin' has a reputation beyond reputeBody Movin' has a reputation beyond reputeBody Movin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 68,193,586,248,771.28
Total Points: 68,193,587,391,132.84
good work - BostonGuy No Message - BostonGuy floyd - BostonGuy money mayweather - BostonGuy I like that beer-money thing you got going there, here add this beer to it...Jersey up in here! - jose830 
No Message - BostonGuy cheers - handwraps what a legend - sugarsmosley 

i think there's only two groups hyping rios up right now: a. hardcore rios fans and b. pacquiao fanatics cause they know arum is lining him up for april 20.

so i ask, should we really give a crap about what these people think?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 AM
ElMeroChingon
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 ElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond reputeElMeroChingon has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,001,020,080,454.44
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier una chela bien helada........... - bigsmoothh heres a medal for dominating at life - sugarsmosley 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimgash View Post
He didn't **** on their excitement to give us an entertaining fight. He just said(aka. ****s) that Rios isn't a very skilled fighter. He isn't there isn't much in the way you can say to back up saying he is. Exciting yes...but that's about all.
Exactly, he *****s on them after a great performance, glad you understood.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Apple Mac Stud
Love a dick in my ASS

Rep Power: 0 Apple Mac Stud is infamous around these partsApple Mac Stud is infamous around these partsApple Mac Stud is infamous around these partsApple Mac Stud is infamous around these partsApple Mac Stud is infamous around these partsApple Mac Stud is infamous around these partsApple Mac Stud is infamous around these partsApple Mac Stud is infamous around these partsApple Mac Stud is infamous around these partsApple Mac Stud is infamous around these partsApple Mac Stud is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 4,115.29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokingbill View Post
Rios>mattyhse, rios>Judah, rios>Peterson, rios>khan, rios> Garcia. Who else is there at 140 who you think would school him so bad? He'd KO all those guys quicker and uglier than Alvarado. Everyone knows it. That's why they are skipping the BS and puting him in with the winner of Pacquiao- Marquez. Hating is a waste of time. Go be a purist boxing snob elsewhere. You can watch Abril's Olympic fencing boxing style all you want in the dark in your moms basement. Stop lecturing people and looking down at those of us who also like to be entertained. There's no money or interest in the sport without rios and guys like him. You'd be out of a job and not writing about boxing cause no one would watch and no one would care.
I do agree with some of what you are saying but I think there is a reason why you left Adrian Bronner's name out because your post would have had to read like this: Bronner>Rios and not the other way around!

You seem to be an honest guy who likes to keep it real so lets be real; Rios is exciting and great for the sport of boxing, no one, not even the haters can argue that BUT as with any fighter Rios has flaws; He is one dimensional, no angles, flat footed, sub-par defense, limited athleticism and questionable speed. This is why the Richard Abril's of the world WILL ALWAYS be a bad match up for Brandon Rios even if you don't like a style like Richards (and I don't) but fighters like this will give Brandon fits.

Unfortunately for Rios he cannot avoid the slick boxers of his division forever. Not every fighter is going to stand there flat footed and stand in front of him like Mike Alvarado. And seriously I can't believe you picked Brandon Rios over Lucas Matthysse... Really? How do you figure? Lucas hits just as hard but is a better boxer who you could argue is really undefeated where it not for robbery losses.

Anyway, not hating but the author of this article raises some seriously valid points.