Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 AM
antk
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 9 antk has a reputation beyond reputeantk has a reputation beyond reputeantk has a reputation beyond reputeantk has a reputation beyond reputeantk has a reputation beyond reputeantk has a reputation beyond reputeantk has a reputation beyond reputeantk has a reputation beyond reputeantk has a reputation beyond reputeantk has a reputation beyond reputeantk has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 123,494.34
thanks for the fights - joe strong thanks for the fights. icloud or rapidshare is good. one them works.,..lol - joe strong Thanks - Toney616 thanks again - Toney616 thanks for the sanders fights - joe strong 
thanks for akinwande\zolkin fight... - joe strong 

A punch landed ok but would not have knocked out a fly!
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,069,832.38
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

Punch was very real, he got dropped over his feet! Could he get up? I think so but I don't know why he didn't and no one else does either. Ray.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 210,063,662,049.93
Total Points: 211,063,910,658.79
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Ali caught Liston with a quick counter-punch, Liston went down whether from being off balance or slightly dazed. A fighter like Juan Manuel Marquez or Muhammad Ali himself would've gotten up immediately, but Liston was not used to hitting the canvas. Fighters like him, when they go down, they usually stay down as well. He is the fighter who is supposed to have the other on the canvas.

Liston did eventually gather himself up despite the embarrassment, only to find Ali hovering over him with the referee Walcott completely unable to handle the unexpected situation. Liston refused to get up until Ali is finally directed to a neutral corner after which Liston does get up. He was never actually given an official count by Walcott.

At this point Walcott goes over to Nat Fleischer, who tells him that Liston had been down for more than 10 seconds (even though it's the referee's count that matters, not anybody else's) and Walcott proclaims an end to the bout while Ali and Liston have resumed fighting.

A terrible officiating job by Walcott mixed with an unwillingness to get up from the canvas on Liston's part along with Ali's wild antics made up the situation, but I do not think it was a contemplated dive by Liston. Liston was very vocal about his criticism of Walcott after the bout and never considered it a true loss.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 10-12-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 AM
House of Stone
BigDaddy

Rep Power: 15 House of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 46,499,467,882.77
Total Points: 260,549,560,753.51
Prospect of the Year! - Barnburner One of Boxingscene's best!! - JAB5239 atg poster! - jas knows his boxing - jas 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - jas Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - jas 

walcott made a complete mess of it.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,309,959.03
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

1. Legit punch that Sonny never saw coming. For everyone claiming that the punch "wouldn't have knocked out a fly", let's see you get hit with a shot from a 215 pound world class heavyweight with your eyes closed. Anyone who has ever boxed knows that the medium-powered shot you don't see coming can do more damage than the high-powered punch you are ready for.

2. Liston was legitimately dazed and knocked down from it.

3. Liston got up and continued fighting without ever being counted out, since Ali didn't get into a neutral corner in time for a count to be started.

4. The fight should have continued.

5. Jersey Joe Walcott decided that Nat Fleischer deserved honorary referee status and stopped the bout on Fleischer's suggestion.

If Sonny was in the tank, why would he have gotten up until he was sure the fight was over?

Last edited by SBleeder; 10-12-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
rightsideup
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 rightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,200,381,402.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
First of all, that was no phantom punch!

My only question is the awkward way Sonny rolled over on his back.

I believe he was going to stay down but changed his mind, got up and was defending himself when the fight was stopped.
this is my view as well. Ali was hovering over sonny so he did not get up right away and a writer called out to walcott that he had been down for 10. when the ref stopped it he was throwing punches at ali. It is a stoppage only surpassed by the dempsey tunney 2nd fight as far the debate it has created over the years.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Cardinal Buck
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 Cardinal Buck has a reputation beyond reputeCardinal Buck has a reputation beyond reputeCardinal Buck has a reputation beyond reputeCardinal Buck has a reputation beyond reputeCardinal Buck has a reputation beyond reputeCardinal Buck has a reputation beyond reputeCardinal Buck has a reputation beyond reputeCardinal Buck has a reputation beyond reputeCardinal Buck has a reputation beyond reputeCardinal Buck has a reputation beyond reputeCardinal Buck has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,046,766.50
Cheers to that! - E.P.T. 

The knockdown was real and Liston was stunned. The punch was very good, but didn't cleanly knock Liston out. After that, the fight was butchered by Walcott. Liston was most likely going to get up. I don't think there was a dive or a fix.