Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reply
Thread Navigation

#31
Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Grimgash
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Age: 28
Posts: 2,348
Rep Power: 18 Grimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond reputeGrimgash has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 22,000,039,866.75
Bank: 891,096,688,688.64
Total Points: 913,096,728,555.39
Send a message via AIM to Grimgash
Default

I believe Floyd Mayweather once said... paraphrased... "People say look at how jacked he is, he's going to kick your ass. I reply this isn't a weight lifting competition, it's a fight."
Reply With Quote
Grimgash is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#32
Old 10-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Japanese Boxing
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,215
Rep Power: 5 Japanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 945,029,024.43
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 945,029,024.43
deliciousness - tongue me Thanks!!! - DempseyRollin well deserved - HaglerSteelChin 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tongue me 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeBrah View Post
If you can't provide evidence, you're just talking out of your ass.

Also, how do you obtain "explosive strength"?

Oh yeah, lifting and doing plyometrics. There's a reason Olympic sprinters and professional sports players (football, baseball, basketball, etc.) do squats and deadlifts.

And before you say those are different sports that require different training methods, just remember that hitting a baseball is EXACTLY the same as throwing a punch.
Pro football/baseball/basketball players couldn't make it in the ring with the lack of training they do. Just being honest.

Weightlifting is good for muscles endurance, but I wouldn't try to build off of lifting weights as a fighter.
Reply With Quote
Japanese Boxing is offline
#33
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 PM
ZeeBrah
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
Rep Power: 0 ZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the rough
Points: 13,112.69
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,112.69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
Pro football/baseball/basketball players couldn't make it in the ring with the lack of training they do. Just being honest.

Weightlifting is good for muscles endurance, but I wouldn't try to build off of lifting weights as a fighter.
Yeah, because they aren't boxers. Obviously they don't do boxing drills. But my point is, if you want a more powerful, quicker punch, you'd be an idiot to not hit shoulders, legs, back and core with heavy weights.

There's a reason Tyson was so quick and powerful. He lifted heavy and was strong as hell.
Reply With Quote
ZeeBrah is offline
#34
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Danny Gunz
Smokin'
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: iladelphia
Posts: 13,029
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 61 Danny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,284,815,334,534.73
Bank: 9,638,599,217,888.27
Total Points: 11,923,414,552,423.00
Cool Poster. - Barnburner 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Danny Gunz Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - WANGLER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Dorian.. 
Default

It's just amazing that people actually think making your body stronger and faster can somehow hurt them in boxing

Reply With Quote
Danny Gunz is online now
#35
Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Layzie Kidd
Contender
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 121
Rep Power: 7 Layzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant future
Points: 15,673.68
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,673.68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Gunz View Post
Do you actually believe this bullsh*t?

Who is your trainer? Seriously, he needs to be put down.
I'd imagine my trainer and the people that visit my gym must know what theyre talking about especially having been home to the winner of the welterweight Olympic gold medalist for the US a few years back.

Please, tell me which part is bs.
Reply With Quote
Layzie Kidd is offline
#36
Old 10-11-2012, 07:08 PM
ZeeBrah
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
Rep Power: 0 ZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the rough
Points: 13,112.69
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,112.69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
I'd imagine my trainer and the people that visit my gym must know what theyre talking about especially having been home to the winner of the welterweight Olympic gold medalist for the US a few years back.

Please, tell me which part is bs.
Just because a BOXING trainer is a good BOXING trainer doesn't mean he knows jack **** about strength, conditioning, medicine, or nutrition, which all help tremendously in all sports.
Reply With Quote
ZeeBrah is offline
#37
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Danny Gunz
Smokin'
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: iladelphia
Posts: 13,029
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 61 Danny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,284,815,334,534.73
Bank: 9,638,599,217,888.27
Total Points: 11,923,414,552,423.00
Cool Poster. - Barnburner 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Danny Gunz Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - WANGLER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Dorian.. 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
I'd imagine my trainer and the people that visit my gym must know what theyre talking about especially having been home to the winner of the welterweight Olympic gold medalist for the US a few years back.

Please, tell me which part is bs.
Lets see....

Quote:
Punching strength doesn't come from lift heavy weights. When you heavy weights youre working out different muscle fibers that allow you to lift heavy things, not throw a punch. Its called maximal strength. A punch comes from explosive strength/twitch fibers. Thats called explosive strength. The only time lifting weights aids in punching strength is if youre putting on massive weight with it. I said that all on the first page.
I assume you are talking about fast twitch and slow twitch fibers. Fast twitch fibers are the fibers that supply explosive movements. Ironically enough heavy weightlifting completely trains fast twitch fibers! So you have essentially been dismissing you're own point. Slow twitch fibers are aerobic they are used for endurance type training because they, as the name suggests, twitch slowly.

I'm not sure what mystery fibers you are talking about that only let you lift heavy things.

Quote:
Skill comes into play when you know how to be in balance, shift your weight, time your body for the most powerful punch you can throw. Which, if youre contracted from lifting heavy weights, you cant do to the fullest extent.
Skill and technique will always be beneficial getting your weight behind the punch is essential to making it powerful but to suggests that lifting weights would hinder this just isn't true.

Quote:
I dont feel like googling anything for you so I'm sure you can just google what I said and find it on your own. Its been said countless times, even in Jack Dempseys 1950's book, Bruce Lee's, the excellent Ross Enamait books, and countless other places.

So when youre complaining about people here discouraging about weights or not giving two cares, then thats your problem and nobody really is going to care because fighters dont necessarily need to lift weights.

This is fighting and skill, not looking cute. You come here to primarily talk about looking cute then youre going to bump heads.
Last thing I will say is a punch is a complex movement. The energy is transferred from the ground through the body and to the fist. In order to take full advantage of the potential energy you want all muscles of the body in which the energy is travelling through to be strong. Which means strong legs, strong core, and strong upper body. Compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, and clean and jerks strengthen all parts of the body and is absolutely beneficial to boxing.

If people dont like to weightlift and box, thats fine they can do whatever they want. But people in boxing are way to naive and ignorant to continue this myth that somehow lifting heavy makes you a worse boxer.
Reply With Quote
Danny Gunz is online now
#38
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Layzie Kidd
Contender
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 121
Rep Power: 7 Layzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant future
Points: 15,673.68
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,673.68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeBrah View Post
Just because a BOXING trainer is a good BOXING trainer doesn't mean he knows jack **** about strength, conditioning, medicine, or nutrition, which all help tremendously in all sports.


Especially not one who trained a fighter to be an Olympics gold medalist.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Gunz View Post
Lets see....



I assume you are talking about fast twitch and slow twitch fibers. Fast twitch fibers are the fibers that supply explosive movements. Ironically enough heavy weightlifting completely trains fast twitch fibers! So you have essentially been dismissing you're own point. Slow twitch fibers are aerobic they are used for endurance type training because they, as the name suggests, twitch slowly.

I'm not sure what mystery fibers you are talking about that only let you lift heavy things.



Skill and technique will always be beneficial getting your weight behind the punch is essential to making it powerful but to suggests that lifting weights would hinder this just isn't true.



Last thing I will say is a punch is a complex movement. The energy is transferred from the ground through the body and to the fist. In order to take full advantage of the potential energy you want all muscles of the body in which the energy is travelling through to be strong. Which means strong legs, strong core, and strong upper body. Compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, and clean and jerks strengthen all parts of the body and is absolutely beneficial to boxing.

If people dont like to weightlift and box, thats fine they can do whatever they want. But people in boxing are way to naive and ignorant to continue this myth that somehow lifting heavy makes you a worse boxer.
Seems like you just barge in to call people stupid and regurgitate the same thing without really debating anything. That was barely much new from what I said besides the slow fiber.

I said weight lifting is absolutely not necessary and most boxers arent seriously into it. And that because you tend to get contracted, it loses your range of motion needed to make the punch while also making you slower. And that you have to rework your body to undo what you did lifting weights thus creating more work and less time to focus on fighting. And I also said the best benefits if youre putting on massive weight gains with it, as it would increase your punching power. You didnt even debate what I said and just babbled on about the same things.

Jesus Christ, guy.

Last edited by Layzie Kidd; 10-11-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Layzie Kidd is offline
#39
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 PM
ZeeBrah
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
Rep Power: 0 ZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the rough
Points: 13,112.69
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,112.69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
And that because you tend to get contracted, it loses your range of motion needed to make the punch while also making you slower.
False. Show me evidence.

NOTE: I know for a fact that it is false, but I want to see where you're getting your bull**** info from.
Reply With Quote
ZeeBrah is offline
#40
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Layzie Kidd
Contender
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 121
Rep Power: 7 Layzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant futureLayzie Kidd has a brilliant future
Points: 15,673.68
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,673.68
Default



You dont know what contractions are and why you seem cramped up in your picture? Dont see how that effects range of motion? Well alright, thought that was common sense.

Lost cause.
Reply With Quote
Layzie Kidd is offline
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
boxing, lifting, quitting, weight

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.