Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 PM
shade darkar
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 20 shade darkar has a reputation beyond reputeshade darkar has a reputation beyond reputeshade darkar has a reputation beyond reputeshade darkar has a reputation beyond reputeshade darkar has a reputation beyond reputeshade darkar has a reputation beyond reputeshade darkar has a reputation beyond reputeshade darkar has a reputation beyond reputeshade darkar has a reputation beyond reputeshade darkar has a reputation beyond reputeshade darkar has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 955,366,733,693.97
Total Points: 956,366,747,015.64
Big ups G - The_Demon shade darkar deserves a kick - Freedom. 

just another trainer to me.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 912.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokingbill View Post
hahaha dont even get me started on Angel Garcia. That guy has no business within 1000 ft. of a boxing ring, even with his son.
Father and son teams come down to emotional bond more than anything. Will Garcia improve as a fighter if he stays with his dad the rest of his career? Yes, through general experience of more fights and if hes receptive enough, he'll learn from his mistakes. Can the father bring anything to the table? Motivation I would say, but probably nothing from a technical standpoint.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:20 PM
tredh
Undisputed Champion

Location: a place where white women were scared when they saw me a black man wearing OJ style leather gloves!!
Rep Power: 20 tredh has a reputation beyond reputetredh has a reputation beyond reputetredh has a reputation beyond reputetredh has a reputation beyond reputetredh has a reputation beyond reputetredh has a reputation beyond reputetredh has a reputation beyond reputetredh has a reputation beyond reputetredh has a reputation beyond reputetredh has a reputation beyond reputetredh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 16,746,394,714.73
Total Points: 16,746,404,590.02
respect you as a poster, keep it up champ! - Atreyu Khalil TO THE U!! - the mesiah 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1270 View Post
Father and son teams come down to emotional bond more than anything. Will Garcia improve as a fighter if he stays with his dad the rest of his career? Yes, through general experience of more fights and if hes receptive enough, he'll learn from his mistakes. Can the father bring anything to the table? Motivation I would say, but probably nothing from a technical standpoint.
Sometimes the bold is what is really need by a person on the team. Ali and Ray Leonard both said Dundee was really just a motivator and not trainer/teacher that people thought he was.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Merciless1
Play for blood. Remember?

Rep Power: 3 Merciless1 is just really niceMerciless1 is just really niceMerciless1 is just really niceMerciless1 is just really niceMerciless1 is just really nice
Bank: 46,602,513,165.39
Total Points: 47,103,430,896.24
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 

Quote:
hahaha dont even get me started on Angel Garcia. That guy has no business within 1000 ft. of a boxing ring, even with his son.
The guy is a clown, but he got his son to the big show.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 122 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,606,033,603,076.60
Total Points: 14,606,033,794,876.15
Good tutorial - MANIAC310 Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes 
please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis 
One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted &quot;las mañanitas&quot; on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 
happy bday - -Mustang- Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
On the other side of the spectrum, im not saying only muhammad ali, mayweather, leonard, pacquiao, tyson, or chavez are qualified to train fighters. There is definitely something to be said for some credibility. I dont care if you were the worst professional fighter or veteran amateur in the history of the sport. I understand that a lot of guys know what is supposed to be done, but dont have the skill/athleticism to make their own bodies do it. I wouldnt follow a leader into combat whos only experience was they are a big fan of war movies, nor would I hire a doctor to take care of me who didnt go to med school. Its just that simple.
Those have to be the dumbest comparisons ever in this place. How about a doctor who went through med school, knows everything about medicine but just never practiced or a soldier who went through boot camp, knows military tactics but has never seen combat.

Those would be more accurate comparisons. While they can't tell you about first hand experience, they can teach another soldier or med student everything they need to know to become a doctor or soldier.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute1270 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 912.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredh View Post
Sometimes the bold is what is really need by a person on the team. Ali and Ray Leonard both said Dundee was really just a motivator and not trainer/teacher that people thought he was.
Boxing is mostly a mental thing I suppose. The likes of Ali and Ray Leonard and Floyd today, all so naturally gifted I think with them kind of fighters it comes down to 'feeling good'. I like Garcia and his dad and hope they do well in the game.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 PM
bojangles1987
bo jungle

Rep Power: 108 bojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 656,843,899,570.20
Total Points: 2,933,844,191,058.98
Thought ya could use a drink.. - romebyko For your triangle theory sig - rorymac merry xmas. - Ether Awesome sig... Love me some Breaking Bad. - Burning Phoenix that triangle theories sig haha - Alx. 
it takes courage just to agree to donate an organ to someone :fing02: - jose830 thanks for the update - jose830 Thanks for the video of Bradley-Provodnikov - kennylimon Cotto looked rejuvenated out there - -jose- for an atg poster! - jas 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

We'll find out in due time about Virgil Hunter, but some of the greatest trainers ever didn't box.

I've never bought into the "if you didn't play/fight you don't know," argument for any sport. Some of the greatest trainers in boxing, greatest coaches and personnel people in the NFL or NBA or MLB, never played the sport.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM
kokingbill
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 kokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,245,199.46
Total Points: 1,272,577.81
Send a message via Skype™ to kokingbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles1987 View Post
We'll find out in due time about Virgil Hunter, but some of the greatest trainers ever didn't box.

I've never bought into the "if you didn't play/fight you don't know," argument for any sport. Some of the greatest trainers in boxing, greatest coaches and personnel people in the NFL or NBA or MLB, never played the sport.
I know you are right about how those guys are viewed, but it just comes down to credibility among the athletes they coach. Sure the media/press/fans put those guys up on a pedestal because they probably wish the same for themselves somewhere subconsciously. What do the athletes think? Already in this thread theres been examples of guys like Dundee not actually knowing that much as advertised.
I dont feel like I have any business showing up at a basketball court and showing the kids how to play. Ya, I watch it on TV sometimes and shoot around for fun. I even played on a team as a kid, but never really competitively. Theres way less at stake in a basketabll game than there is in a boxing match. I dont really have a problem personally with Virgil Hunter, but the whole premise of any guy becoming a guru of somekind with out actually having done anything is absurd. Hey, I never picked up a violin in my life---but I'll teach you how to be the next yo yo ma/ world famous virtuoso performer. It is as absurd a claim in boxing.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 AM
kokingbill
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 kokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond reputekokingbill has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,245,199.46
Total Points: 1,272,577.81
Send a message via Skype™ to kokingbill

There would be more a-holes who dont know crap about violins hanging around music conservatories trying to manage young violinists if there was as much money/glamour/exposure/prestige/fame as there is in boxing and thats the bottom line.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM
bojangles1987
bo jungle

Rep Power: 108 bojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 656,843,899,570.20
Total Points: 2,933,844,191,058.98
Thought ya could use a drink.. - romebyko For your triangle theory sig - rorymac merry xmas. - Ether Awesome sig... Love me some Breaking Bad. - Burning Phoenix that triangle theories sig haha - Alx. 
it takes courage just to agree to donate an organ to someone :fing02: - jose830 thanks for the update - jose830 Thanks for the video of Bradley-Provodnikov - kennylimon Cotto looked rejuvenated out there - -jose- for an atg poster! - jas 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
I know you are right about how those guys are viewed, but it just comes down to credibility among the athletes they coach. Sure the media/press/fans put those guys up on a pedestal because they probably wish the same for themselves somewhere subconsciously. What do the athletes think? Already in this thread theres been examples of guys like Dundee not actually knowing that much as advertised.
I dont feel like I have any business showing up at a basketball court and showing the kids how to play. Ya, I watch it on TV sometimes and shoot around for fun. I even played on a team as a kid, but never really competitively. Theres way less at stake in a basketabll game than there is in a boxing match. I dont really have a problem personally with Virgil Hunter, but the whole premise of any guy becoming a guru of somekind with out actually having done anything is absurd. Hey, I never picked up a violin in my life---but I'll teach you how to be the next yo yo ma/ world famous virtuoso performer. It is as absurd a claim in boxing.
If an athlete won't listen to a coach for no reason other than, "You never played," no matter how proven it is that the coach is one of the best in the sport, than that athlete is probably too closed minded to every be a success in the sport.

I can't say you are wrong to wonder, but I think there are enough examples throughout many sports that you don't have to play or fight to be a good trainer/coach.