Boxing Forum
  Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Boxing Scene Lounge
Register Blogs Chat Arcade Groups Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:33 PM
fifth tea sent
peep

Rep Power: 15 fifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 79,553,985.78
Total Points: 11,082,051,693.47
you alright by me bruv - Alx. Thanks - Bughuul. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talip bin osman View Post
anybody here have seen "tree of life?" what can you say about it? it was easily one of the most profound terrence malick films out there IMHO...

kurosawa's rashomon and mamoru oshii's ghost in the shell are excellent movies with too much philosophy in them...

but my favorites are these 2 comedies... the truman show and the groundhog day... deep philosophical films in guise of comedies
the truman show, i havent seen that in a long time. i enjoyed groundhog day too. the tree of life, i need to watch it again. the cinematography is good though.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Biolink
Donaire is #1

Rep Power: 23 Biolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 4,442,028,063.06

About a heroin addict and his drug addicted friends and their day to day activities. Being about heroin you would think you would get some melodramatic depressing Hollywood woe is me story with people OD'ing all over the place and some kind of unrealistic morality lesson at the end, but it shows them having a good time for the most part which to me is about as real as it gets. You could easily extrapolate the concept to include other drugs or habits and why people get into whatever escapism they are into. Plus the dialogue is just awesome.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:39 PM
talip bin osman
angst and revenge

Rep Power: 26 talip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,071,151,205,874.17
great poster - MaD vEiN prolific poster - Jerub_Baal thank you talip merry christmas - the collector Happy holidays bro! - led* Season's Greetings - Freedom. 
Welcome to the ranks - Terrel 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Richards View Post
the truman show, i havent seen that in a long time. i enjoyed groundhog day too. the tree of life, i need to watch it again. the cinematography is good though.
tree of life is a kind of movie that gets more powerful with repeated viewings...

maybe i'll watch crimes and misdemeanors too... (if i could find it...)
Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 PM
talip bin osman
angst and revenge

Rep Power: 26 talip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond repute
great poster - MaD vEiN prolific poster - Jerub_Baal thank you talip merry christmas - the collector Happy holidays bro! - led* Season's Greetings - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biolink View Post

About a heroin addict and his drug addicted friends and their day to day activities. Being about heroin you would think you would get some melodramatic depressing Hollywood woe is me story with people OD'ing all over the place and some kind of unrealistic morality lesson at the end, but it shows them having a good time for the most part which to me is about as real as it gets. You could easily extrapolate the concept to include other drugs or habits and why people get into whatever escapism they are into. Plus the dialogue is just awesome.
damn... green K for coming up with this... this is one of the few instances where the movie was better than the book IMHO... young kelly mcdonald was hot eh?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 PM
NEETzsche
dizzee raskolnikov

Rep Power: 7 NEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,545,901.15
Happy New Year - Freedom. 

probably something by kobayashi, resnais, or tarkovskiy.

tarr and kiarostami are pretty deep, too.

Last edited by NEETzsche; 10-06-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Biolink
Donaire is #1

Rep Power: 23 Biolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond reputeBiolink has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 4,442,028,063.06

Quote:
damn... green K for coming up with this... this is one of the few instances where the movie was better than the book IMHO... young kelly mcdonald was hot eh?

Young Kelly indeed.

Honestly had no idea that she went on to become something though before you told me. Ewan McGregor, Johnny Lee Miller, and McDonald beast actors at super young ages.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM
talip bin osman
angst and revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEETzsche View Post
probably something by kobayashi, resnais, or tarkovskiy.

tarr and kiarostami are pretty deep, too.
im not well schooled about russian cinema... where do you get your dose of russian films?

film festivals here in singapore show these, but DVDs are very difficult to find... my usual go to place is the criterion collection...
Old 10-06-2012, 07:12 PM
fifth tea sent
peep

Rep Power: 15 fifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond reputefifth tea sent has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 79,553,985.78
Total Points: 11,082,051,693.47
you alright by me bruv - Alx. Thanks - Bughuul. 

Quote:
tree of life is a kind of movie that gets more powerful with repeated viewings...

maybe i'll watch crimes and misdemeanors too... (if i could find it...)
and the director terrance mallick, all of his films are like that eh?
woody allen is a great director. i hope you find a copy of it.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 PM
talip bin osman
angst and revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Richards View Post
and the director terrance mallick, all of his films are like that eh?
woody allen is a great director. i hope you find a copy of it.
yeah that dude terrence... ive watched his other 3 films (badlands, thin red line and new world...)

he is slow and methodical... his visuals are as cinematic as anyone... actually, when i watched the thin red line, i was expecting it to mimic private ryan in terms of action but man, i was wrong... (these two were shown almost at the same time like over a decade ago...)

repeated viewings though and the thin red line becomes like a phoenix so to speak...
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM
NEETzsche
dizzee raskolnikov

Rep Power: 7 NEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond reputeNEETzsche has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,545,901.15
Happy New Year - Freedom. 

Quote:
im not well schooled about russian cinema... where do you get your dose of russian films?

film festivals here in singapore show these, but DVDs are very difficult to find... my usual go to place is the criterion collection...
i hardly ever buy anything these days, i just use torrents and downloads. i'm not sure that there are any dvd companies with a more exhaustive catalogue than criterion. in britain we have a few smaller ones who occasionally stock something criterion overlooked, but whether they would export to singapore i don't know. we also have a great little store in leicester square called (imaginatively) the cinema store, which stocks a lot of great stuff, and the curzon in soho shows a good selection of foreign films too.

for some great russian cinema check out elem klimov's come and see, bondarchuk's war & peace, and kozintsev's shakespeare adaptations. more recently, aleksandr sokurov and andrey zvyagintsev are two russkies who have impressed me.

Last edited by NEETzsche; 10-06-2012 at 07:31 PM..