Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 09-29-2012, 09:44 AM
JK1700
Boxing Virtuoso

Rep Power: 13 JK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,972,933,907.18
Total Points: 6,977,008,501.77
keep up the good work champ - Atreyu Khalil Cheers! - dan_cov 
Default What Is The Truth Behind Why We Didn't See A Hagler-Leonard Rematch?

Hagler claims that after the first fight he stayed around for a year or so hoping for a rematch proposal that never came. Leonard claims that he would have done the rematch "in a heartbeat" but Hagler didn't want it and moved to Italy never wanting to fight again. I believe I also read or heard somewhere that Leonard offered Hagler a rematch 3 years later in 1990 but he didn't accept. I tend to think the truth is somewhere in the middle, but if I had to side with someone, i'd side with Hagler based on Ray's drug and alcohol problems. But I want to know the truth. Both of them would have made a huge payday for a rematch and it would have been another huge notch on the legacy of the winner.

Does anybody know why it didn't happen?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 AM
DarkTerror88
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 DarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 135,621,981.80
Good Poster! You need a medal. - "Marvelous" thanks - Toney616 ;) - rorymac In Remembrance..... Smokin' Joe - McGoorty Merry Christmas - The Surgeon 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - "Marvelous" Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - "Marvelous" 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1700 View Post
Hagler claims that after the first fight he stayed around for a year or so hoping for a rematch proposal that never came. Leonard claims that he would have done the rematch "in a heartbeat" but Hagler didn't want it and moved to Italy never wanting to fight again. I believe I also read or heard somewhere that Leonard offered Hagler a rematch 3 years later in 1990 but he didn't accept. I tend to think the truth is somewhere in the middle, but if I had to side with someone, i'd side with Hagler based on Ray's drug and alcohol problems. But I want to know the truth. Both of them would have made a huge payday for a rematch and it would have been another huge notch on the legacy of the winner.

My best guess is that Leonard knew he couldn't repeat the same great feat. Hagler gave Leonard the perfect fight and he still only won by a small margin
Hagler would come out wih purpose to seek and destroy and Leonard wouldn't have been able to handle it.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:00 PM
wmute
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 32 wmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 28,502,923,485.14
Total Points: 28,503,128,161.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1700 View Post

This is what happened.

Leonard announces retirement in May 1987 after the Hagler fight.
Hagler announces retirement in June 1988.
In August 1988 Leonard signs to fight Donnie Lalonde in his comeback fight.

You do the math.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:13 PM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,315,002.03
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Another issue was the allegations from the Petronelli's that Leonard's camp had paid off officials.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:55 PM
BennyST
Shhhh...

Rep Power: 62 BennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,354,720,405,606.31
Total Points: 56,384,953,523,716.28
drink up buddy - mgkirkpatrick You're a great poster - Clegg cheers....great poster. - MELLY-MEL... To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led 
top poster - IronMike* Best Post award,,, and Geen K - McGoorty one of boxingscene's sh1ttiest posters - Freedom. Easily one of boxingscene's best!! - JAB5239 7,000 posts! - Scott9945 
Happy holidays bro! - led* you deserve a kick for your hatred of the Klitschkos - Freedom. Superb post. - dan_cov 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 

Leonard retired straight after the Hagler fight. Hagler did hang around for a year before announcing his retirement, then not too long after Hagler disappeared Leonard came back again. I'm sure there were some other minor politics involved, but it really came down to Leonard not wanting to do the rematch straight away. Hagler wanted it immediately, he didn't want to wait around for years chasing it.

Leonard was very smart and I think he knew he'd struggle to repeat that feat again with Hagler not fighting so idiotically for the first 3 rounds.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Emon723
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 Emon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,150,077.09

Hagler has stated around 1989 he is still giving it a shot to fight for a world title one last time, so the only opponent in his mind is Sugar Ray Leonard, but after Leonard's draw with Hearns, that was it for Marvelous.

There's are truth Leonard have entertain the thoughts of giving Hagler a rematch in 1990 but no way can this be called a superfight, both were way past it.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,073,983.22
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 

to jk1700; They were both way beyond their best so why do it? The first bout stunk so how does it get better when both are never going to be what they once were!!! Boxing when your old gets more and more dangerous the public wasn't demanding another match it was time for both to go. Ray.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Daddy T
BigDaddy

Rep Power: 16 Daddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 82,575,833,141.28
Total Points: 296,625,915,725.85
Prospect of the Year! - Barnburner One of Boxingscene's best!! - JAB5239 atg poster! - jas knows his boxing - jas 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - jas Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - jas 

srl claimed that he was open to a rematch and even tried to contact hagler and make it happen - not sure if that is true though or if it is maybe he was demanding too much of the purse or something? Either way the impression i have is that hagler was sick of the sport and felt the whole thing was corrupt as ****, but somehow i think if srl offered him a fair deal he would have taken it. but this is just opinion not fact so i'm happy to be corrected if somebody knows the truth of the matter. Anyway after Tommy knocked the **** out of leonard and was robbed blind that put an end to the whole thing. (and no doubt confirmed haglers opinions about corruption)

Last edited by Daddy T; 09-29-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:22 PM
TBear
Lords of Boxingscene

Rep Power: 453 TBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,044,001,658,396,861,440.00
Total Points: 2,044,001,658,396,862,464.00
Classic Boxing Pictures - - Ram Raid - Hope you had a good long weekend. - -jose- Thanks for honoring your bet in a timely manner bro, cheers! - Tyler_Durden honestly T I believe you would make the perfect Mod you got my vote... is it cool with you if I post that on the thread? - -jose- tried to green ya but ive given too much in the last 24 hours, i still got your bakk - Tha_Greatest 
Here's beer while listening to good music - led thanks bud :fing02: - -jose- seasoned with camel toe juice :lol1: - -jose- Happy thanksgiving. - HughJass Happy Thanksgiving homie! - -jose- 
you welcome bud - -jose- Thanks bud - -jose- Merry Xmas to you and your Family TBear. - HughJass same to you TBear - Talisayen happy holidays to you and your loved ones, my friend - jazluvr 
Happy Holidays - guardian Merry Christmas Buddy Roe - Chief2ndzOnly! Merry Christmas back at ya. To one of the coolest people on here. - Sweet Pea 50 Happy Holidays Bro! - peyk-peyk same to you bro - acidity 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S A M U R A I Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - S A M U R A I Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - S A M U R A I Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - MANGLER Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - MANGLER 
Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - MANGLER World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cooper5 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Izrock AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Raider Monkz 
Head and Neck Cancer - Izrock Childhood Cancer - ??? Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ??? Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hard Dick Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Unknown Champ 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - BABYBOXER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Trudoe 

The impression I had was that Hagler was pretty disgusted with how he was treated by the judges and the media after all he had done for boxing and was pretty fed up. So inspite of what reports you hear or read now, at the time I followed every magazine and telecast and whatever both sides said, there was an obvious disapointment and Hagler at the time wanted to wash his hands of the whole boxing world.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Daddy T
BigDaddy

Rep Power: 16 Daddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond reputeDaddy T has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 82,575,833,141.28
Total Points: 296,625,915,725.85
Prospect of the Year! - Barnburner One of Boxingscene's best!! - JAB5239 atg poster! - jas knows his boxing - jas 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - jas Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBear View Post
The impression I had was that Hagler was pretty disgusted with how he was treated by the judges and the media after all he had done for boxing and was pretty fed up. So inspite of what reports you hear or read now, at the time I followed every magazine and telecast and whatever both sides said, there was an obvious disapointment and Hagler at the time wanted to wash his hands of the whole boxing world.
this is basically what srl says in his book and given the complete honesty throughout i'm going with this barring some dramatic new evidence