Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
View Poll Results: Is boxing in a ring 90% mental and 10% physical?
Yes, boxing is mostly mental 17 68.00%
No, boxing is more physical 5 20.00%
I think that Lamon Brewster made these statements immediately following his bout with Klitschko 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Japanese Boxing
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 5 Japanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 945,030,530.18
deliciousness - tongue me Thanks!!! - DempseyRollin well deserved - HaglerSteelChin 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tongue me 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' View Post
Everything that your mind conjurs up to do in a ring will require an able body to pull off any of the precise actions.

The body becomes fatigued and the mind begins to cloud and becomes disorientated, but your body carries on.

Know there was time spent in the ring that I don't remember, I drove myself home and went to bed. The only way that I knew that I drove myself home was when I got out of my bed to find the morning sun shining off of my car in the parking lot. I had no memory of the drive home nor did I have memories of the sparring the night before, it's all a black out.

As I put my running shoes on for my morning run I still couldn't find the lost time. I do recall Johnny being pleased with the work some how, even though I couldn't recall 1 second of the sparring. I stretch myself as I think, I must have been running on auto pilot during the sparring. Generally when that happened it was always told to me that I was extremely aggressive in the warring. I found that when hurt I fought back, hard, trying to inflict double the damage that my opponent may have put on me.

I don't know what happened through that time. I would find it hard to imagine that I was "thinking" during that lost time in the ring. There are plenty of times when thinking just isn't an option in the ring, you just gotta fight/react............Rockin'
You probably suffered a severe concussion....
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Rockin'
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 31,588,368,032,279.08
Total Points: 31,588,368,078,538.83
have a drink bud - peyk-peyk another one bud - peyk-peyk tnx 4 the green champ - BoZz Have a beer on me... - BulgariasFinest I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac 
Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 
10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery 
for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
You probably suffered a severe concussion....
yup, part of the game, and that's not even mentioning the cases of whiplash among other things. noway is boxing only 10% physical.......Rockin'
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Journeyman
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 12 Journeyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 104,658.77

i think teddy atlas said something like 70% of boxing is HALF mental and the remaining 30% all physical...

yes, a big aspect of boxing is mental, but i feel like the sport is definitely a bit more physical than mental.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 PM
ZeeBrah
Banned

Rep Power: 0 ZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the rough
Total Points: 13,487.69

I am an extremely smart/tactical boxer. I am a student of the game and I have superior mental power.

I also have had 3 major knee surgeries the past 3 years and have osteoarthritis.

I can safely say that boxing is much more physical than mental...
Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Scipio
Contender

Total Points: 4,723.40

think it's a very bland statement in general. hopefully he was referring to something in particular.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 AM
rorymac
corymar

Rep Power: 38 rorymac has a reputation beyond reputerorymac has a reputation beyond reputerorymac has a reputation beyond reputerorymac has a reputation beyond reputerorymac has a reputation beyond reputerorymac has a reputation beyond reputerorymac has a reputation beyond reputerorymac has a reputation beyond reputerorymac has a reputation beyond reputerorymac has a reputation beyond reputerorymac has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 10,018,759,102,111.48
Total Points: 62,929,050,745,175.86
Stay dry my friend - Kenny MF Powers No Message - hogwash Banana Split - iBreakbeat thanks for the ribbons..cheers - kbpoetree Respect back at ya, thanks man - Rockin' 
REACH thread leader, so far. - McGoorty Kick his ass... - BulgariasFinest to a good poster - BoZz to keep you motivated :) - Alx. you're a good guy here's some green get yourself something nice...Lol! - jose830 
Thanks for the kind words rory - !! AI-Holmes!! One more.. - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* 
Merry Christmas ! - BulgariasFinest Happy new years !!! - BulgariasFinest Mon The Hoops - Rocky... funny poster in the lounge - jas Thanks man, I appreciate it. Sony A77 it is. - BulgariasFinest 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - allenloki Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rorymac 

You have to have both in abundance, it's as simple as that. No point in talking about percentages.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Alx.
King of Aesthetics

Rep Power: 16 Alx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 165,982,820,486,060.31
Total Points: 165,988,020,769,283.66
Gift - eddie_monster Drink up - ??? Blue parallelogram 4 u sir - Russian Crushin Blue parallelogram for you to try out - ??? No Message - chiguy91 
Happy Easter :kiss: - Bossy Write down what youre gonna say to her and rehearse the lines - EngorgedW/Blood Angus burger homey - MANGLER Cheers - BulgariasFinest Thanks. - WarriorSoul 
No Message - Dorian back at ya - Rapid Counter thanks. and like wise bruh. - AntonTheMedium Wow, thanks bro. Right back at ya. - BulgariasFinest Top poster! - Money_May 
merry christmas - the collector Happy holidays bro! - led* Knowledge is power, I need a shower. - Master Cvnt Cheers to that bro - ted*. thanks mask man - Honey Team 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - arraamis Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - chiguy91 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - rorymac Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANGLER 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jose830 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - codey World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymac View Post
You have to have both in abundance, it's as simple as that. No point in talking about percentages.
exactly as i said in the beginning it's 50/50
Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Journeyman
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 12 Journeyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond reputeJourneyman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 104,658.77

if you take a fight, and your mind and body are both there, adrenaline pumping...if you have that physical training/muscle memory, your body will almost go in auto-pilot

your mind has to be strong as well, but at this point its more about heart than anything mental
Old 11-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Samboxrec
Contender

Rep Power: 3 Samboxrec will become famous soon enoughSamboxrec will become famous soon enough
Bank: 1,730.78
Total Points: 35,376.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeBrah View Post
Well, it sounds good, but realistically that's BS.

90% physical.
Gatti prime example willed himself through fights and punches with heart he wasn't the best physically gifted fighter
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM
NVSemin
Contender

Rep Power: 5 NVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond reputeNVSemin has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 16,163.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samboxrec View Post
Gatti prime example willed himself through fights and punches with heart he wasn't the best physically gifted fighter
Same for Joe Fraizer. He said something like : "I won over the bigger guys because of heart"