Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 12-07-2012, 03:57 PM
shs101
Up and Comer

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 46,575.70
Default adding slips/rolls into combos

Was wondering if the more advanced guys / pros actually intentionally throw a 1-2-roll even if their opponent didn't throw a punch back? They automatically before or after do a defensive movement even without actually seeing a punch coming? Interested to know this
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 PM
NearHypnos
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 NearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 370,604,238,684.07
Total Points: 394,104,746,571.40
thanks for the vid man - mellow_mood Great poster! - UTEP 

I'm not going to call myself advanced or pro but I would do it naturally. But also sometimes I would see a sign of an incoming punch, so maybe I'd see the shoulder pull back a bit, etc. i'd also do it to get into a more favorable angle. Just trying to stay a step ahead. If I can have a better idea of where a punch will come from, I might he able to react faster. So if I'm sliding or rolling left, but he cuts me off I can quickly try to roll right and try to avoid him... Guess it depends on each individual. You dont want to be predictable in this sport lol.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Jamesv3
Contender

Rep Power: 3 Jamesv3 has a spectacular aura aboutJamesv3 has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 10,034,549.96

I've only had 9 bouts so am far from pro but I always try roll or slip after I throw my punches it's just a habit now but it can set up the next shot As well as missing the counter .another thing I do is jab little slip to the right the throw the straight this opens the opponents guard as after the jab they think it's safe to throw and then you catch them with the right . You defantly need to do something after throwing your punches otherwise they will wait for you to throw take the punches on the gloves and then if your just there Infront of them there nail you . You got to mix it up faints, rolls and slips and as said above don't be predictable
Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,074,044.31
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 

JamesV3 has good advice for you! You roll after your combos almost ALL the time it should be ingrained in your mind to offer defense that sets up offense all the time. Boxing is often a progression of moves that incorperate offense & defense! Thats one of the bautifull moves in boxing along with balance! As Pep would say "hit and NOT get hit" thats boxing!
..and who knew that better than Willie?? Ray.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 PM
ShoulderRoll
Ph.D in the Sweet Science

Rep Power: 45 ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,942,872,185,101,818.00
Total Points: 13,942,872,185,104,356.00
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland 

Cus D'Amato would always make his fighters move their heads after a combo. Always. Even if no punches are coming back.

It's a good habit.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM
-Huey-
The Money Team

Rep Power: 28 -Huey- has a reputation beyond repute-Huey- has a reputation beyond repute-Huey- has a reputation beyond repute-Huey- has a reputation beyond repute-Huey- has a reputation beyond repute-Huey- has a reputation beyond repute-Huey- has a reputation beyond repute-Huey- has a reputation beyond repute-Huey- has a reputation beyond repute-Huey- has a reputation beyond repute-Huey- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 649,292,524,256,695.12
Total Points: 649,292,524,815,019.12
thread-would jesus forgive margarito? Post #6 - jazluvr449 No Message - -Huey- and you'll take care of the second one.... alriiiiight - Rockin' most underated poster - BostonGuy b-day boy - project xxx1 
congratulations fam - Larryx2011 for being good sport in the, &quot;start rumors&quot; thread - jose830 happy birthday - hhs661 Happy Birthday :kiss: - Bossy No Message - dan_cov 
Happy birthday. - dan_cov Happy Birthday bro! - jose830 Happy holidays bro! - led* Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you. - jose830 :D - happyman 
WINNER!! Correctly guessing Rees' height, 5'4&quot;!! - thuggery 10 days in the slammer is not easy,  have some real food - jose830 beer on bday boy. - led Happy Belated birthday - -jose- courtesy of Arum's Protection Plan, IDIOT!  :lol1:  :lol1: - Kuyukut 
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

That's a terrible idea. Why slip or roll for no reason? You're just putting your habits out there for your opponent to capitalize on.

Think about it, you throw a one-two then roll, I guarantee that he'll catch you with a huge counter and lay your ass out.

Some guy in my gym had this thing of moving his head side to side after every jab. It was jab, and tilt his body and head to the left, jab, tilt head left and right, jab, tilt head left, right, left. Rinse and repeat.

Long story short he got brutally KO'd at the golden gloves in front of his whole family, friends and girlfriend. Once your opponent catches on to what you're doing you're fucked! I don't know who's giving you this terrible advice!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 PM
DIB42
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 DIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 25,026,100,924.28
Total Points: 25,076,189,443.24

You can't just stand there after a combo.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 PM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,109,294.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Huey- View Post
That's a terrible idea. Why slip or roll for no reason? You're just putting your habits out there for your opponent to capitalize on.

Think about it, you throw a one-two then roll, I guarantee that he'll catch you with a huge counter and lay your ass out.

Some guy in my gym had this thing of moving his head side to side after every jab. It was jab, and tilt his body and head to the left, jab, tilt head left and right, jab, tilt head left, right, left. Rinse and repeat.

Long story short he got brutally KO'd at the golden gloves in front of his whole family, friends and girlfriend. Once your opponent catches on to what you're doing you're fucked! I don't know who's giving you this terrible advice!
I think the OP used the roll after the right hand as an example of a defensive movement after a combo?

Of course, if you use the same movement after every attack you become predictable.

In most cases, it's a good idea to assume the opponent will return fire, so it makes sense to preemptively move your head (or defend in some other way) after a combo to make your opponents task that bit harder.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:09 AM
BennyST
Shhhh...

Rep Power: 62 BennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,481,814,813,718.44
Total Points: 56,512,047,932,041.38
drink up buddy - mgkirkpatrick You're a great poster - Clegg cheers....great poster. - MELLY-MEL... To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led 
top poster - IronMike* Best Post award,,, and Geen K - McGoorty one of boxingscene's sh1ttiest posters - Freedom. Easily one of boxingscene's best!! - JAB5239 7,000 posts! - Scott9945 
Happy holidays bro! - led* you deserve a kick for your hatred of the Klitschkos - Freedom. Superb post. - dan_cov 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Huey- View Post

I don't think he meant that you do the same thing time after time. I think he was asking more whether something should be based on pure reaction, in the moment, or instinct through repetitive training i.e. when you throw a 1-2, you finish wit roll.

The answer is really both, though it's better to have the instinct through repetition. You should always do something after throwing a combo as Ray and Jv3 said. If you don't habitually slip or roll after a combo, so as not to give away your 'habits' then that will be your habit and in the moment, you'll not do it and get tagged. Not doing anything, or only doing it if you see that something is coming back is a bad, bad habit. Someone will always feint you into it or be quicker than your reaction and you are going to get tagged.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 AM
FightFit
Contender

Rep Power: 6 FightFit has a reputation beyond reputeFightFit has a reputation beyond reputeFightFit has a reputation beyond reputeFightFit has a reputation beyond reputeFightFit has a reputation beyond reputeFightFit has a reputation beyond reputeFightFit has a reputation beyond reputeFightFit has a reputation beyond reputeFightFit has a reputation beyond reputeFightFit has a reputation beyond reputeFightFit has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,321.85

Am not a pro boxer but i would like to comment,i would presume all slips slides blocks pivots and rolls would become natural when after years of practicing and perfecting each individual punch,what i mean is for example if you can throw a 123 to perfection you should also know how to avoid been caught with the 123 perfectly, you should also naturally be able to counter on any individual punch thats in the 123,i presume its the same for all other punches every punch has a specific way of avoiding that punch either by roll slip slide block, also every punch has a specific counter,if you get all this down naturally over the years then it seems you will have a very successful career and having all this knowledge down in your muscle and brain memory and executing it would put you at a seriously high level.hope i make sense of what im tryna say.