Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 PM
joseph5620
undisputed

Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,942,347,701,526.14
Total Points: 13,985,352,821,768.90
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott9945 View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but when you mangle facts that's another matter. This guy Marquez is actually named Martinez. He lost to Margarito 12 years ago before either were contenders. That was the only decisive loss in Martinez's career because he lost to Williams by a controversial decision, not a KO loss. So who are these guys who you say always beat him? And idea of the middleweight champion dropping to 147 to fight RICKY HATTON is too embarrasing to even comment on.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-27-2012, 02:20 PM
New England
Heavy Duty

Rep Power: 101 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 107,713,299,368,482.72
Total Points: 113,715,981,013,180.19
Congrats on 3000 First Class Posts buddy! - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 
thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe 
for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 
top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley 

hagler might take a round or two to adjust to the speed (who doesn't?)

eventually he'd stop martinez, though. he'd catch up to him by cutting the ring off and jabbing, and then he'd start to put the leather on him.

tko in 8-10
Old 10-27-2012, 02:26 PM
New England
Heavy Duty

Rep Power: 101 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 107,713,299,368,482.72
Total Points: 113,715,981,013,180.19
Congrats on 3000 First Class Posts buddy! - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 
thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe 
for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 
top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Corso View Post
This clown doesn't hold Haglers laces!! Simple as that, he has NO style!! Its only recently that fighters who jump around the ring with their hands down who are fighting "nobodies" are considered great!! He fought a decent WW and got stopped, he fought Williams another decent boxer and got stopped, he won against Williams with a wild outside shot. The only thing this guy does with style is throw a one/two combo other than that his style is exactly what a good trainer doesn't teach because if you some how accend into the ring against high caliber talents like Hagler or Leonard you will be exposed!!!
This guy Marquez is NOT a great fighter he's part of the weak competitors that are in our vision today.
Why is talking about Mayweather a WW? Cotto, a guy whose best is behind him!! Why not go down to 147 for Hatton????
Why not fight Ward?? Or the GGG guy?? Fight someone in your division, champ!!
Why didn't he stop this green kid he just fought? He hit at will yet never stayed in ON HIM and back him up for 2 solid rounds. If he did that he would have stopped, he didn't!! The reason he didn't you saw in the last round!! He's only good at dictating as soon as some heats applied back to him he gets spooked and crashes!!! Great fighters can fight under fire, they learn to weather the storms and cause their own storms to end a bout when they know they can. This guy Marquez doesn't have that mind set thats why he gets beat the way he does and when you face real top ten competitors who know how to fight he'll be in deep!! Maybe he can learn how to deal with the heat but for now he has no interest in either side!! Not a great fighter, especially when you look at his record, not one high caliber fighter! Ray

that green kid he fought is the biggest middleweight ever. his last name is "chavez."
he can take a great punch. it's likely that he takes drugs to make the 160 limit. when he gets in the ring he weighs 180 +, which is a cruiserweight.

martinez also broke his orbital bone (he chipped the skull around his eye.)

if you actually watched him fight you would
A: know his name
B: have an opinion worth listening to.

at least you didn't talk about yourself for a paragraph or two this time around.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:58 PM
B-Bomber
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 3 B-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond reputeB-Bomber has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 25,745.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England View Post
that green kid he fought is the biggest middleweight ever. his last name is "chavez."
he can take a great punch. it's likely that he takes drugs to make the 160 limit. when he gets in the ring he weighs 180 +, which is a cruiserweight.

martinez also broke his orbital bone (he chipped the skull around his eye.)

if you actually watched him fight you would
A: know his name
B: have an opinion worth listening to.

at least you didn't talk about yourself for a paragraph or two this time around.
Besides, even though the level of the opposition is surely debatable, Chavez Jr has fought 49 times.

I do not consider Martinez a GREAT, but he is a very good/excellent fighter IMO

Last edited by B-Bomber; 10-27-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Thread Stealer
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 30 Thread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 41,043,448.92
Most knowledgeable poster on NSB - BatTheMan Boxing Guru - DWiens421 4k posts. Keep up the great work! - danc1984 To an excellent poster - JAB5239 No Message - Old Coward 
you're the man - Dambala For being a great poster - -IronMike- 

Sergio is a good fighter in a poor era, while Hagler is one of the greatest middles of all-time.

Also, the notion of Hagler being this ultra-aggressive pressure fighter needs to go. Most of the time, he was a methodical, patient boxer.

Hagler would take advantage of Sergio's defensive flaws, especially with that piston jab. Hagler by a clear decision or mid to late rounds stoppage.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:11 PM
julian45
Contender

Total Points: 3,506.73
No Message - chiguy91 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
Sergio is a good fighter in a poor era, while Hagler is one of the greatest middles of all-time.

Also, the notion of Hagler being this ultra-aggressive pressure fighter needs to go. Most of the time, he was a methodical, patient boxer.

Hagler would take advantage of Sergio's defensive flaws, especially with that piston jab. Hagler by a clear decision or mid to late rounds stoppage.
I am a serious Martinez nutthugger, but Monzon and Hagler are the best middles of my 45 years. Martinez is close to or at 3rd, matters how you feel about B-hop at middle
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 PM
TysonBomb
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 4 TysonBomb has a reputation beyond reputeTysonBomb has a reputation beyond reputeTysonBomb has a reputation beyond reputeTysonBomb has a reputation beyond reputeTysonBomb has a reputation beyond reputeTysonBomb has a reputation beyond reputeTysonBomb has a reputation beyond reputeTysonBomb has a reputation beyond reputeTysonBomb has a reputation beyond reputeTysonBomb has a reputation beyond reputeTysonBomb has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 39,203.08
one of boxingscene's worst posters - Freedom. No Message - Fire and Fear No Message - Fire and Fear No Message - Fire and Fear 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fire and Fear Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Fire and Fear 

Hagler by late KO

Hagler had a freak jaw ... he was literally anatomically different I hear ...
Old 11-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Thread Stealer
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 30 Thread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 41,043,448.92
Most knowledgeable poster on NSB - BatTheMan Boxing Guru - DWiens421 4k posts. Keep up the great work! - danc1984 To an excellent poster - JAB5239 No Message - Old Coward 
you're the man - Dambala For being a great poster - -IronMike- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian45 View Post
I am a serious Martinez nutthugger, but Monzon and Hagler are the best middles of my 45 years. Martinez is close to or at 3rd, matters how you feel about B-hop at middle
I don't think that highly of Martinez, historically speaking. He's a good fighter in a poor era and nothing special to me, other than his ability to perform well at an advanced age.

Martinez would be just another good fighter around middleweight if he were around in the early to mid 90s when the talent pool was deep.

Fighters like Nunn, Toney, Jackson (even with his vision compromised), McClellan, Hopkins, Benn, Watson, Eubank, McCallum, etc...

I'd pick Sergio to lose to the majority of those guys.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 PM
raf727
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 5 raf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 170,315,766,496.73
Total Points: 170,315,769,338.04
kick this bum - Freedom. Have a beer! - Barnburner Anyone that gets a kick me from Freedom, is ok with me. - RossCA No Message - RossCA 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
I don't think that highly of Martinez, historically speaking. He's a good fighter in a poor era and nothing special to me, other than his ability to perform well at an advanced age.

Martinez would be just another good fighter around middleweight if he were around in the early to mid 90s when the talent pool was deep.

Fighters like Nunn, Toney, Jackson (even with his vision compromised), McClellan, Hopkins, Benn, Watson, Eubank, McCallum, etc...

I'd pick Sergio to lose to the majority of those guys.
Yeah I like Sergio alot, he's one of my favorite guys out right now and a top P4P guy but I think Toney, McCallum, RJJ, Jackson, beat him pretty easily, the rest I think are pretty good fights.

Hagler would decision him.