How good was Ken Norton? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 12-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Kid Canada
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11 Kid Canada has a reputation beyond reputeKid Canada has a reputation beyond reputeKid Canada has a reputation beyond reputeKid Canada has a reputation beyond reputeKid Canada has a reputation beyond reputeKid Canada has a reputation beyond reputeKid Canada has a reputation beyond reputeKid Canada has a reputation beyond reputeKid Canada has a reputation beyond reputeKid Canada has a reputation beyond reputeKid Canada has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 32,566.00
Default How good was Ken Norton?

Ken Norton fought during what was arguably the greatest era ever for heavyweights. He`s one of only 2 guys to be Ali during his prime. But he also lost to Ali as well as Frazier, Foreman, Holmes and Ernie Shavers. I believe in a different era, like now, he would be a dominant heavyweight.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-19-2005, 01:40 PM
butterfly1964
The HW Sugar Ray!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 983 butterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,088,823.14
Total Points: 1,346,016.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canada
Ken Norton fought during what was arguably the greatest era ever for heavyweights. He`s one of only 2 guys to be Ali during his prime. But he also lost to Ali as well as Frazier, Foreman, Holmes and Ernie Shavers. I believe in a different era, like now, he would be a dominant heavyweight.
first of all, nobody beat ali in his prime ok? ali was friggin' 31 when they fought! you call that a prime? some people say frazier wasn't in his prime when he fought ali the first time when he was 27! so imagine how ali was at 31.

and to answer your question, norton was pretty good. he was good enough to beat ali. but he had an awkward style that would be suicide against a big puncher.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:25 PM
M26
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 13 M26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,967.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canada
Ken Norton was a very good fighter. He was not great how ever, and him defeating Muhammad Ali is a typical example of the "styles makes fights" principle.

He would probably dominate the division of today.

By the way, Norton didn't lose to Joe Frazier. They never fought. He would probably lose if they had fought though..
Old 12-19-2005, 05:03 PM
MickyHatton
PaThFiNdEr

Rep Power: 35 MickyHatton has a reputation beyond reputeMickyHatton has a reputation beyond reputeMickyHatton has a reputation beyond reputeMickyHatton has a reputation beyond reputeMickyHatton has a reputation beyond reputeMickyHatton has a reputation beyond reputeMickyHatton has a reputation beyond reputeMickyHatton has a reputation beyond reputeMickyHatton has a reputation beyond reputeMickyHatton has a reputation beyond reputeMickyHatton has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,229,632.67

I think he was a decent fighter but no more, he could box a bit and punch but he was knocked out four times although two of those times were against two of the hardest hitters ever in Foreman and Shavers.

Ali did have trouble with him and lost once against him but beat him twice in returns and we are talking about an Ali then past his best so I dont think it means that much after all Ali lost to a couple of fighters that wouldn't have been fit to tie his boot laces in his prime during that time.

Last edited by MickyHatton; 12-20-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:13 PM
marvdave
hagler ud over Leonard

Rep Power: 9906 marvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 28,577.54

To say Norton would be dominant might be a stretch, but he was a damn good fighter. He was above average, but not great. His awkward style gave fits to Holmes and Ali. Some say he had a weak chin, but I disagree. The Shavers and Cooney kos were way past his best. He basically had nothing left after the Holmes fight.

Being ko'd by Big George is nothing to be ashamed of...ask Frazier about that. He would definitely be a champ today.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:34 PM
dangerousity
Contender

Rep Power: 12 dangerousity has a reputation beyond reputedangerousity has a reputation beyond reputedangerousity has a reputation beyond reputedangerousity has a reputation beyond reputedangerousity has a reputation beyond reputedangerousity has a reputation beyond reputedangerousity has a reputation beyond reputedangerousity has a reputation beyond reputedangerousity has a reputation beyond reputedangerousity has a reputation beyond reputedangerousity has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 17,230.13

If ken norton and david Tua fought today, Norton would have his back on the canvas in the first round.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Da Iceman
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Da Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,244,861.00

norton was one of the greatest of all time, very underrated boxer, only man to beat ali 3 times
Old 12-21-2005, 02:29 AM
THE REAL NINJA
Undisputed Champ

Rep Power: 18665 THE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,188,596.71
Total Points: 1,385,480.44
Thumbs up

he was good i don't know if he is great. if it was up to me he would not be in the hall of fame even if i am a fan of his .yes he could beat a Byrd a Ruiz and some of the others but never a Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis,maybe not even a Buster Douglas well ok maybe a buster . but for the most part his claim to fame was that he beat and had some good fights with Ali and the Holmes fight. dont forget he was given his title and never won it in the ring ..you can't even say that about Buster. where do i rate him around the same as the bone crusher smith's the ruiz's of boxing not the best but not the worst .. it would be hard to find a era he would ever dominate other then the time after holmes and before tyson and that was not long but even michael spinks may have beat him at that time or like i said a bone crusher smith or buster ...so he was good i like him but to say he is top 20 i feel is a little to much
Old 12-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Southpaw Stinger
Trousersnake Fondler

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Rep Power: 225 Southpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 98,811,726,303,500,720.00
Total Points: 98,811,726,303,517,024.00
No Message - -veteran420- No Message - -veteran420- good for the liver lad - -veteran420- 5 years, pity I missed the 1st 4 - Clyde Barrow merry xmas - Subtraction 
No Message - - v e t - Merry Christmas - Flab Care to join me? :) x - *Boss Lady* Happy new year! - Toney Loc :) - *Boss Lady* 
:kiss: - *Boss Lady* :flirt: - *Boss Lady* :kiss: - *Boss Lady* Yes, your majesty. Your wish is my command. - *Boss Lady* Did you know that I walked around saying ... 'Breakdown, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit ... ALL DAY LONG?! That would be your fault! - *Boss Lady* 
I need a drink, fancy it? - Bossy You're sex on legs. I'll get the pints. :luvbed: - Bossy Easter pint for my e-lover :love: - Bossy Who could stay miserable after that? :love: - Bossy Good Sir, I hope you are well. - Uns 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - _PlaT_NuM_ Hepatitis C - _PlaT_NuM_ Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - PensionKiller World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Mr Jones AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Clyde Barrow 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - -veteran420- Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - LeeVanCleef Autism - -veteran420- Autism - -veteran420- Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - -veteran420- 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - INSECT Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Nani Loc Head and Neck Cancer - Southpaw Stinger Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Southpaw Stinger Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - - v e t - 

Quote:
norton was one of the greatest of all time, very underrated boxer, only man to beat ali 3 times
He beat Ali once man. And Ali was past his prime.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:16 AM
everlast99
Contender

Rep Power: 12 everlast99 has a reputation beyond reputeeverlast99 has a reputation beyond reputeeverlast99 has a reputation beyond reputeeverlast99 has a reputation beyond reputeeverlast99 has a reputation beyond reputeeverlast99 has a reputation beyond reputeeverlast99 has a reputation beyond reputeeverlast99 has a reputation beyond reputeeverlast99 has a reputation beyond reputeeverlast99 has a reputation beyond reputeeverlast99 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,976.00

imagine if he was around today, he would be the champ for a long while

Share This With Friends

User Tag List