Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 PM
ZeeBrah
Banned

Rep Power: 0 ZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the rough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,282.69
Default How are my uppercuts and how can I improve them?

Title pretty much says all. I threw a couple uppercuts, and I was wondering how they are and how I could improve them. There are no gyms near me, so I am forced to train on my own. I'm just looking for constructive criticism. If you're just going to come in here and make a post saying "LOL, U SUCK!!@#@!" or "get in a boxing gym", don't even bother posting, because I've said numerous times that there is not a single gym within hours of me.

Anyways, here is the short video. Looking for any and all constructive criticism.

Can't post links yet. Here is the code after the "v=" on YT: VV1_Y-tHIow

Also, I know someone is going to ask, as someone always does whenever I post a video...yes, I am a natural southpaw.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-08-2012, 03:15 PM
dan_cov
Graceful God Golovkin

Rep Power: 64 dan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,533,185,150,678,332,928.00
Total Points: 2,553,506,281,207,386,624.00
Thanks man - Jloro dan_cov makes Boxingscene a better place - valero Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed 
thanks - DannYankee09 p4p poster.  Thank you for keeping it 100% - damit305 you have great predictions - here's an apple to sustain that brain power - jas you deserve a medal for being a truly truly atg poster - jas I see you hit the lotto...congratulations :fing02: - -jose- 
Congrats good call. - Scott.Weiland. Enjoy - kennylimon solid - SlySlickSmooth ATG poster - Croyd a cookie for ur kitchen post lol - sugarsmosley 
Thx 4 points,made WC more fun - Scott.Weiland knows s**t about boxin' - SlySlickSmooth No Message - Scott Weiland Ran out of greenies - Beercules Hope you like cold beer bro! :-) - Tyler_Durden 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ƒallenloki Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - ƒallenloki Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - ƒallenloki Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Daniel Alpha 
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Daniel Alpha Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - codey 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Old 09-08-2012, 03:32 PM
ZeeBrah
Banned

Rep Power: 0 ZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the roughZeeBrah is a jewel in the rough

Thanks man. Is there any way I can improve them? I'm primarily an inside fighter, and my lead hook is already pretty good (in fact, it's my best punch), but I want to work on my uppercuts and rear hook so I have a bigger arsenal to work with and can "open up like a son of a *****" on the inside, as Tyson once said.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,066,651.45
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

Yur to low, your out of balance I can see it! Have a friend push you in the side as your doing the workout and see if your to low by the waist bend or the knees you should be able to feel it. Also have him push you in the chest to make sure your weight is forward so you can't be top heavy.
When Mike worked up and under he often squared off so his right and left hands were abit more equal but squareing off to long in front of a good fighter can get your introuble with balance alone. Also get your hands out away from you just abit, the punch is actually aimed at the chest and then brought up, you don't ain for the chin, the chin moves quickly the chest not so fast.
Theres actually two upper cuts to throw theres straight up the shoot and theres one that crosses slightly as you bring it up and thats for hoping to catch the guys chin and turn it!!
Theres a video of Lamotta on here shadowing at 90 yrs old he throws the upper cut that crosses. It statrs up the middle and ends with your right hand in front of your left shoulder. Its a great punch if you happen to slide that way too. Same with the left hand if you coordinated enough to pivot out and get on the opponents side to catch him in profile!! Thats what Tyson was taught because if you see your opponents head in profile theres no way hes hitting you and you have a clean shot of his jaw. All the good in fighters where taught pivots and stepping over to get angles, its part of getting in without getting hit. Demsey was very good at stepping out with his right foot and punching and If your a southpaw stay that way your gonna screw up inside if you don't concentrate on it. I trained a heavyweight southpaw in the late 70s who good punch like a mules kick and he had that problem of stepping over.
good luck Ray.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:44 PM
ZeeBrah
Banned

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:03 PM
ZeeBrah
Banned

And yeah, my balance is off when throwing uppercuts. Doesn't happen when throwing hooks, just uppercuts, and I dunno why. But, maybe like you said, it's because I'm not squared up enough. I've heard that most peek-a-boo fighters square up more than other styles for precisely that reason (balance). Is that correct or false?
Old 09-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Alx.
King of Aesthetics

Rep Power: 16 Alx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond reputeAlx. has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 136,163,724,594,222.69
Total Points: 136,168,924,874,222.02
Gift - eddie_monster Drink up - ??? Blue parallelogram 4 u sir - Russian Crushin Blue parallelogram for you to try out - ??? No Message - chiguy91 
Happy Easter :kiss: - Bossy Write down what youre gonna say to her and rehearse the lines - EngorgedW/Blood Angus burger homey - MANGLER Cheers - BulgariasFinest Thanks. - WarriorSoul 
No Message - Dorian back at ya - Rapid Counter thanks. and like wise bruh. - AntonTheMedium Wow, thanks bro. Right back at ya. - BulgariasFinest Top poster! - Money_May 
merry christmas - the collector Happy holidays bro! - led* Knowledge is power, I need a shower. - Master Cvnt Cheers to that bro - ted*. thanks mask man - Honey Team 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - arraamis Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - chiguy91 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - rorymac Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANGLER 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jose830 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - codey World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_cov View Post
is that you my foreign brother?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 PM
ZeeBrah
Banned

aware.

If you're aware and wondering if I am...

Yes, I am.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,066,651.45
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

False! Its a mistake to square off if you do it you need to step out to the side of the opponent so your not in a bad position. As I said get a friend to give you light pushes on your shoulders, chest, hips etc you need to be balanced!! Check the width of your feet and if your to deep in the knees or to bent forward in the waist!!! Do these tests and then talk further!
I just rechecked your video you have your chin off your chest and in the air you need your punch to be more in front of your body raising up. Your shoulders need to be in your punches too!! This is the most difficult technique to learn when teaching how to gain power by sitting down on your punches. Can't really help you without demonstrating the shoulders involvment but you need to learn it. Most Mexican fighters who have old school trainers learn that technique first because it needs to be part of the punch and its not a natural movement. I'll see if I have some videos that can demo it for you. For now BALANCE! Ray
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,635,199.56

You're pivoting and pushing off with your left foot on BOTH of your uppercuts....use your right foot when firing those right uppercuts.