Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: Is Lennox Lewis the Greatest Heavyweight Boxer of All Time?
LEWIS is The Greatest Heavyweight Of All Time (in his prime and in condition) 14 23.33%
ALI is The Greatest Heavyweight Of All Time (in his prime and in condition) 29 48.33%
TYSON is The Greatest Heavyweight Of All Time (in his prime and in condition) 6 10.00%
Another fighter is The Greatest Heavyweight Of All Time (see post) 11 18.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 08-19-2012, 12:16 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 66 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,210,498,808,690,216.25
Total Points: 1,239,718,924,811,734.75
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnburner View Post
ali was the self proclaimed greatest who actually turned out to be the greatest.
And nothing annoyed me more.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 PM
dmaclv
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 dmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 8,054,874.07
Top notch poster - BostonGuy 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Corners View Post
No. Resume wise, there's more than a few in front of him.

Skill wise and H2H, he's in my Top 5 for sure. But a prime Ali was not only the greatest Heavyweight ever to me, but one of the greatest fighters ever. He had too much of everything.

But I do think H2H and prime for prime, here's my Top 5.

Ali
Holyfield
Holmes
Lewis
Foreman
I really disagree that a prime Holmes beats a prime Lewis. I don't see that happening at all.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Barn
TheTartanSoldier

Rep Power: 45 Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 340,075,820,728,548.38
Total Points: 340,969,732,214,463.81
Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 Merry Crimbo! - The Surgeon To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A Your 4000th post and you quoted me, I'm honoured! Happy 4k :wave: - *Boss Lady* 4 the uploads! - chiguy91 
Congrats on 5K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 well deserved - the collector For the massive amount of points given - MindBat Merry X-mas Lad! Have a good un! - The Surgeon 
Happy New Year - Freedom. You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS 
Happy birthday! Hope you have a good one. - dan_cov Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 what up homie...just incase I want you to know I had nothing to do with that thread title change that's your thread bro - -jose- :love: - -jose- For the help buddy - Badzi87 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
And nothing annoyed me more.
damn straight, i dislike the bastard as well but I find myself defending his #1 HW spot all the time.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Frank Ducketts
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Frank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 110,010,358,736.43
One of the best posters here - Cállate! I noticed that the lady in your avatar has dirty knees, they are very distracting. Here's some wet wipes, please take care of that. - Cállate! No Message - RossCA No Message - RossCA No Message - RossCA 
:lol1: :D - happyman Team Swift!(Honorary Member) - Mr. Philadel Will Hunting, It's not your fault, It's not your fault - Croyd It's not your fault, It truly isn't your fault ... - Croyd 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - RossCA 

Prime Ali is the best heavyweight/fighter who ever lived!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,063,951.86
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

You have the last name correct just spelled wrong its....LOUIS! As in Joe the "Brown Bomber" Louis!! Ray.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Frank Ducketts
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Frank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Ducketts has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 110,010,358,736.43
One of the best posters here - Cállate! I noticed that the lady in your avatar has dirty knees, they are very distracting. Here's some wet wipes, please take care of that. - Cállate! No Message - RossCA No Message - RossCA No Message - RossCA 
:lol1: :D - happyman Team Swift!(Honorary Member) - Mr. Philadel Will Hunting, It's not your fault, It's not your fault - Croyd It's not your fault, It truly isn't your fault ... - Croyd 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - RossCA 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revs1227 View Post
nither ali or lennox are the greatest
ali is the self proclaimed "greatest"

ali top 5
lennox maybe top 15
Who is the best then?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:39 PM
dmaclv
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 dmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond reputedmaclv has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 8,054,874.07
Top notch poster - BostonGuy 

Quote:
Lewis, to me, came along at a really good time.

It was when Tyson and Holyfield were getting older, and before Wlad and Vitali really came along to be great fighters.

Lewis' could have had the huge huge legacy fight against Riddick Bowe, but it's not Lennox's fault that Bowe straight up refused to fight him. Robbed us of what would have been the biggest HW fight since Ali-Frazier III/Ali-Foreman.

But his career in terms of when he came along was similar to Marciano's to me. In the sense that Marciano came along when Walcott, Charles, and Louis were getting older, and before Patterson and Liston came along to become threats at HW. Still a great fighter and his wins over Walcott and Charles were still good wins considering they were top fighters, but they weren't at their best.

Same with Lewis. His win over Holyfield was a great win, but Holyfield wasn't quite at his best I'd say. He was past his prime-still good though. But the one Lewis gets no credit from me is the Tyson fight. Tyson hadn't won a meaningful fight in like 3-4 years or something by that point.
I feel Lewis fought a prime Vitali. Vitali was 31 years old when they had their war, I felt Vitali at that time was in supreme condition and had a wealth amount of fighting experience.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Shameful
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Shameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to behold
Total Points: 5,108,922,115.71
No Message - Lovci Happy holidays bro! - led* 

could ali beat him? size wise probably no, could lennox take a george foreman bomb? probably not. subjective
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Shameful
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Shameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to beholdShameful is a splendid one to behold
Total Points: 5,108,922,115.71
No Message - Lovci Happy holidays bro! - led* 

Quote:
Lewis, to me, came along at a really good time.

It was when Tyson and Holyfield were getting older, and before Wlad and Vitali really came along to be great fighters.

Lewis' could have had the huge huge legacy fight against Riddick Bowe, but it's not Lennox's fault that Bowe straight up refused to fight him. Robbed us of what would have been the biggest HW fight since Ali-Frazier III/Ali-Foreman.

But his career in terms of when he came along was similar to Marciano's to me. In the sense that Marciano came along when Walcott, Charles, and Louis were getting older, and before Patterson and Liston came along to become threats at HW. Still a great fighter and his wins over Walcott and Charles were still good wins considering they were top fighters, but they weren't at their best.

Same with Lewis. His win over Holyfield was a great win, but Holyfield wasn't quite at his best I'd say. He was past his prime-still good though. But the one Lewis gets no credit from me is the Tyson fight. Tyson hadn't won a meaningful fight in like 3-4 years or something by that point.
tyson is a year YOUNGER than lewis.......
Old 08-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Simurgh
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 Simurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 102,048,098,843.28
Happy New Year - Freedom. one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. Merry Christmas &amp; Happy New Year - Freedom2013 

Lewis was well underestimated boxer while he was active. I think he got a full credit only at the very end of his career. However I think that people now tend to do the opposite.
Don't get me wrong Lewis was a phenomenal boxer - Top5 no doubt about that, but when people start to give him an edge over prime Ali it is just not realistic.

Lewis fought some very good fighter - but still I think the best boxer he fought (quality and time wise) was Vitali and that fight didn't tell a lot (it really was 50:50). And I also wouldn't pick that version of Vitali as an absolute best as he didn't really have any fights on that level prior to Lewis fight and to some extend he lost that fight on experience (I think he was too aggressive - even reckless). He was trading with the very bad cut which wasn't very smart tactics in my opinion. In that fight I think Vitali was on 90% of his full potential and Lewis on 80%.

Now Lewis did have some fantastic wins against very good boxers (etc Golota), but he also was KOed twice, at least once while he was in prime, had a draw (with smaller fighter than Ali was - I had the second Holyfield fight a draw), tend to have some poor performances against not the top boxers (Marovic) while he still was in his absolute prime.

Ali did much more in his career, fought a better boxers and while he was in his prime he looked so much better.

H4H I rank Lennox in TOP5.

Last edited by Simurgh; 08-19-2012 at 01:38 PM.