Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas A&M University campus shooting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a surprise, more people getting shot in a country where guns are legal!

It's just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2608 View Post
      What a surprise, more people getting shot in a country where guns are legal!

It's just ridiculous.
      "guns don't kill people. People kill people"

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
        Agree with Squealpiggy on everything here. The idea of letting people protect themselves with guns is laughable. Many countries do a better job than the US of protecting their citizens WITHOUT letting everyone take the law into their own hands.

you dont understand the american perspective on guns. guns were an integral aspect of american independence and expansion. we wouldn't be here without them

in addition, if you live in a state like alaska, or certain parts of texas, the dakotas, idaho, etc, you all but need a gun. you have to protect yourself from animals (snakes, moose, bears, hogs,) and people where there is no arm of the state to protect you

i dont want to get into great and boring detail on alaska, but the place is not like anywhere in your country.

a few hundred cops are in charge of patrolling a state larger than your entire nation. you need your own gun out there. you're responsible for yourself and your family.

state protection (what you're talking about in your post,) is hours and hours away. in certain situations, if you want to live, you're the state, and you're in charge of your own protection.

in the immortal words of herman edwards "im the chain of command."

now, all of that being said, i'd love to see handguns and assault rifles further regulated. especially assault rifles. those guns exist to kill people. what do they think they'll be used for?

in other nations, where guns are not as common, you see bombings. we generally dont have those. the issue is compounded by the availability of guns, but they are not the whole problem.

crazy people are intricately planning to kill people. that's the problem, and it's not tied inherently to the availability of guns, only more easily facilitated through them.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          you dont understand the american perspective on guns. guns were an integral aspect of american independence and expansion. we wouldn't be here without them

in addition, if you live in a state like alaska, or certain parts of texas, the dakotas, idaho, etc, you all but need a gun. you have to protect yourself from animals (snakes, moose, bears, hogs,) and people where there is no arm of the state to protect you

i dont want to get into great and boring detail on alaska, but the place is not like anywhere in your country.

a few hundred cops are in charge of patrolling a state larger than your entire nation. you need your own gun out there. you're responsible for yourself and your family.

state protection (what you're talking about in your post,) is hours and hours away. in certain situations, if you want to live, you're the state, and you're in charge of your own protection.

now, all of that being said, i'd love to see handguns and assault rifles further regulated. especially assault rifles. those guns exist to kill people. what do they think they'll be used for?

in other nations, where guns are not as common, you see bombings. we generally dont have those. the issue is compounded by the availability of guns, but they are not the whole problem.

crazy people are intricately planning to kill people. that's the problem, and it's not tied inherently to the availability of guns, only more easily facilitated through them.
          one question: Canadians live in even a larger country than you. Why don't we have the same perspective.

Comment

population is obviously part of it in canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
              one question: Canadians live in even a larger country than you. Why don't we have the same perspective.

i'd guess that a good deal of that comes from the history. like i've said before, law was brought to the territories through the colt revolver, and we won our independence from the british through the availability of guns. guns are american.

canadians in the straight up sticks don't carry guns?

i'm not talking about outside of calgary, i mean the sticks. the northwest territory and sh#t, hundreds of miles from help. i'd be strapped. a rifle and a revolver.

they dont carry guns? what do you do when the bears show up?

in alaska it's part of the uniform, and they've got very little violent crime.
              Last edited by New England; 08-14-2012, 07:48 AM.

Comment

i'd guess that a good deal of that comes from the history. like i've said before, law was brought to the territories through the colt revolver, and we won our independence from the british through the availability of guns.

canadians in the straight up sticks don't carry guns?

i'm not talking about outside of calgary, i mean the sticks. the northwest territory and sh#t, hundreds of miles from help. i'd be strapped. a rifle and a revolver.

they dont carry guns? what do you do when the bears show up?

in alaska it's part of the uniform, and they've got very little violent crime.
                the only guns i have come across here are hunting rifles and illegal handguns. in answer to your question: we definitely have them for hunting out there. and the odd time somebody messes up and snaps and kills their family. but as a whole we don't have the same problems.

our population in the wilderness is pretty sparse though, in such a huge country.

Comment

Fair enough I guess, but they should be regulated far more tightly. Also, the people begging for cowboy-style self protection are genuinely insane.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                    Fair enough I guess, but they should be regulated far more tightly. Also, the people begging for cowboy-style self protection are genuinely insane.

it might sound that way to you, man, but what else are you going to do if you're literally 500 miles from any police?

if you live in the alaskan boonies there are only a few cops patrolling an area the size of italy. cowboy up. you'd honestly feel differently if you lived there for a period of years. that goes without question.

it's not a good thing that people have to carry guns and govern themselves, but it's the only way. much of alaska is only accessibly by biplane. it's a different world out there. if you're not willing to govern yourself then it's not for you.

Comment

it might sound that way to you, man, but what else are you going to do if you're literally 500 miles from any police?

if you live in the alaskan boonies there are only a few cops patrolling an area the size of italy. cowboy up. you'd honestly feel differently if you lived there for a period of years. that goes without question.

it's not a good thing that people have to carry guns and govern themselves, but it's the only way. much of alaska is only accessibly by biplane. it's a different world out there. if you're not willing to govern yourself then it's not for you.
                      What you're saying is definitely sensible. I know that by no means is it a simple issue, it's probably one of the most complicated issues out there.

I've never lived in these places so I can't make a complete judgement, but one thing definitely needs to be addressed: these psychopaths can access guns too easily.

Comment

Working...
                      X