Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Junior Middleweight Mix: What About Erislandy Lara?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Junior Middleweight Mix: What About Erislandy Lara?

By Cliff Rold - When a division gets hot, the payoff is extraordinary for fans. They get good fights, they get big fights, and sometimes they get both at the same time. When a single promoter dominates the landscape of a hot weight class, the thrills can keep on coming. Right now, Jr. Middleweight is hot.

Golden Boy Promotions has a big piece of the 154 lb. real estate.

The biggest financial draw in the sport, Floyd Mayweather, continues to do business with them and currently holds a belt (WBA) in class. One of the fastest rising financial stars, WBC titlist Saul Alvarez, also resides under their umbrella. All action banger James Kirkland also calls Golden Boy home.

Golden Boy also promotes the man who could be king.

What about him?

29-year old 2005 Amateur World Champion Erislandy Lara (16-1-1, 11 KO) hasn’t always had the same buzz as fellow Cuban expatriates Yuriorkis Gamboa and Guillermo Rigondeaux. Of the three, he should have the single most impressive victory. Given the chance to prove it, he might be the best fighter at Jr. Middleweight right now.

Last July, just months after a tough night in a draw against the cagey Carlos Molina, Lara had what should have been his breakthrough moment. For twelve rounds, he beat the brakes off former two-division titlist Paul Williams, producing a clinic of powerful left hand punching.

At the end, it was Williams who had his hand raised in victory and the howls of those who witnessed the verdict were heard in the halls of the New Jersey State Athletic Commission. Not a single one of the judges that night, not Donald Givens (116-114 Williams), not Hilton Whitaker (115-114 Williams), not Al Bennett (114-114), has judged a professional boxing match since. All were placed on indefinite suspension following the controversial verdict. [Click Here To Read More]

why isn't he getting flack for fighting two bums back to back is what i want to know

Comment

Lara is basically black listed because he beat Paul up

Nobody wants to fight him, hes avoided as F**K

Comment

molina

what about molina, he beat lara, beat the **** outta kirkland. he's the real champ @ 154

Comment

Originally posted by dazzo16 View Post
          what about molina, he beat lara, beat the **** outta kirkland. he's the real champ @ 154
          Lara arguably won the fight. The judging now a days is too arbitrary

Comment

Originally posted by Ring Leader View Post
            This is a fallacy. Lara arguably won the fight. The judging now a days is too arbitrary
            molina was coming off a 2 year lay off and lara still couldn't beat him

Comment

Lara isn't being mentioned because Alvarez probably can't beat him.
              The truth right here.

Comment

Originally posted by dazzo16 View Post
                Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ring Leader View Post
                  Lara arguably won the fight. The judging now a days is too arbitrary
                  Lara didn't win that fight. But Molina certainly didn't whoop him, if not a draw, i'd most likely give it to Molina by a single rd. Neither fighter proved anything decisive in that fight, except that both are equally difficult to look good against. It was a style clash if I've ever seen one, and really not that exciting.

The Lara that showed up to fight Paul Williams was vastly different and less stubborn than the Lara that showed up to fight Molina. The Williams Lara is the only guy in the Jr Middleweight division that i see pulling a decisive decision over Canelo.

You can argue that both are equally matched in power (with Lara having a slight size advantage), Lara being the far superior & faster boxer/ counterpuncher. Canelo likes to fight in spurts, and i think that may hurt him against Lara.

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
                    Lara didn't win that fight. But Molina certainly didn't whoop him, if not a draw, i'd most likely give it to Molina by a single rd. Neither fighter proved anything decisive in that fight, except that both are equally difficult to look good against. It was a style clash if I've ever seen one, and really not that exciting.
                    I pretty much agree with every word. I've watched Lara-Molina twice. I would never argue with someone that thinks Carlos won. But anyone who thinks Molina "whooped" Erislandy is easily impressed. That was a close fight. I'd like to know what those same people thought of Lara's performance versus Paul Williams.

Anyway, Carlos Molina is (or used to be) an underrated fighter. He can make a long night for anyone. My hat's off to Carlos for being an overachiever, but he's not of the same quality as Erislandy Lara. I would love to see a rematch, just to see the end of these ridiculous claims that Molina "whooped" Lara.

Comment

Working...
                    X