Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 PM
sugar555
Contender

Rep Power: 0 sugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 30,789.33
Default Block punches or slip them?

Do you guys block punches to the face or try and slip them?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
mehoe
Contender

Rep Power: 5 mehoe has a reputation beyond reputemehoe has a reputation beyond reputemehoe has a reputation beyond reputemehoe has a reputation beyond reputemehoe has a reputation beyond reputemehoe has a reputation beyond reputemehoe has a reputation beyond reputemehoe has a reputation beyond reputemehoe has a reputation beyond reputemehoe has a reputation beyond reputemehoe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 369,519,601.53
Total Points: 558,979,473.05

Combination of both, mostly block if the guy is really fast, and slip when I want to counter or if it's a cross. That's just me though.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 PM
sugar555
Contender

Rep Power: 0 sugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 30,789.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehoe View Post
Combination of both, mostly block if the guy is really fast, and slip when I want to counter or if it's a cross. That's just me though.
so when you block do you punch right after or move a little away and then punch?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Redd Foxx
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Rep Power: 7 Redd Foxx has a brilliant futureRedd Foxx has a brilliant futureRedd Foxx has a brilliant futureRedd Foxx has a brilliant futureRedd Foxx has a brilliant futureRedd Foxx has a brilliant futureRedd Foxx has a brilliant futureRedd Foxx has a brilliant futureRedd Foxx has a brilliant futureRedd Foxx has a brilliant futureRedd Foxx has a brilliant future
Bank: 628,965,259,965.12
Total Points: 628,965,281,197.72
Happy New Year - Freedom. 

Do both or you'll be predictable and also limit yourself.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:28 PM
patshan
Amateur

Total Points: 6,169.38

Right now, my team and I are doing introductions to sparring. We all know how to slip, but all of us resort back to blocking. I am still new and learning how to box, so don't take my word for it, but I think it has to do with your comfort level. In my experience, beginners typically should stick to the cover-up/block, the parry or the catch.

My coach said once said this after sparring "when you are starting out and learning how to slip, you have to accept that you will be caught with the right hand until you gain the timing".

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful. Keep up the good work, buddy!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 AM
4EverAnd 0
Amateur

Total Points: 155.38

Hey guys....(gals probably too). This is my first day posting on the site, I read articles on here every day, but never bothered to register. Neways...

The answer is never (a) or (b) in boxing...so it is both. However, I believe the guy whose predominant style is to slip punches, can block punches more effectively than a predominant blocker can slip.

"Hit and not be hit" is a simple statement, but a complex dynamic. How do you approach that statement?...1) does your defense work off of your offense, or 2) does your offense work off of your defense? It's counter-intuitive...I believe the better defensive fighter is the better offensive fighter...but not the other way around. Keeping your guard up is not good defense, because your arms aren't busy in an offensive position.

Tip: Actually watch Floyd Mayweather's fights...

He is statistically and effectively is the best offensive boxer in the history of boxing, because he is the best defensive fighter ever. If you don't like watching Floyd box, you don't like boxing.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:46 PM
patshan
Amateur

Total Points: 6,169.38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverAnd 0 View Post
Hey guys....(gals probably too). This is my first day posting on the site, I read articles on here every day, but never bothered to register. Neways...

The answer is never (a) or (b) in boxing...so it is both. However, I believe the guy whose predominant style is to slip punches, can block punches more effectively than a predominant blocker can slip.

"Hit and not be hit" is a simple statement, but a complex dynamic. How do you approach that statement?...1) does your defense work off of your offense, or 2) does your offense work off of your defense? It's counter-intuitive...I believe the better defensive fighter is the better offensive fighter...but not the other way around. Keeping your guard up is not good defense, because your arms aren't busy in an offensive position.

Tip: Actually watch Floyd Mayweather's fights...

He is statistically and effectively is the best offensive boxer in the history of boxing, because he is the best defensive fighter ever. If you don't like watching Floyd box, you don't like boxing.
This post is not to disagree, because like I said I've only been boxing for 2months, but isn't keeping your guard up good denfense? The fights where Mayweather Jr. got caught the most or when he got buckled he would switch to a hands up style. Recent examples being the Judah and Mosely fights?

In regards to the original post, the topic was block or slip. The best defense is distance. Unless you are elastic man, you can't hit someone in Africa when you live in Austrailia.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM
greynotsoold
Contender

Rep Power: 3 greynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,008,943.99

Your first defense is to stay out of range, so the punches fall short. To get into punching position- to close the distance and create openings to hit- you slip and /or parry. Blocking punches keeps you in one place and ties up your hands, so you cannot punch back. You should thoroughly learn to block punches, but, once you do, it is the very last line of defense for a skillful boxer. Because the purpose of good defense is not as much to avoid being hit as it is to make it easier to hit the other guy.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 PM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 16 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,272,763.03
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- 

You have to be able to block, parry, slip, and stop (read up on the old-timers).
Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
MRBOOMER
My skin I get it

Rep Power: 9 MRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 45,654,848,397,007.04
Total Points: 45,654,848,403,319.64
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil &quot;Best I've ever faced&quot; thread, awesome read! - jose830 Good thread. - FeFist &quot;The best I've ever faced&quot; = great thread - mathed all around good poster. - I'm so sorry 
Thanks bro - komodo No Message - MRBOOMER 
Head and Neck Cancer - I'm so sorry Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - komodo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MRBOOMER Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - MRBOOMER Hepatitis C - MRBOOMER 

Block slip roll catch parry and control range

What I always found effective is when I see a shot comming I block em for a while see how they throw em them start to slip them do I can counter or Ill catch and counter.

If you ask me tho slipping is the worst thing to rely on because you get caught up in doing it and forget to block so best thing to do is figure out when it's time to slip and when to block