Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Nagabilly
Contender

Rep Power: 3 Nagabilly has a reputation beyond reputeNagabilly has a reputation beyond reputeNagabilly has a reputation beyond reputeNagabilly has a reputation beyond reputeNagabilly has a reputation beyond reputeNagabilly has a reputation beyond reputeNagabilly has a reputation beyond reputeNagabilly has a reputation beyond reputeNagabilly has a reputation beyond reputeNagabilly has a reputation beyond reputeNagabilly has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 156,604.43
Default Punches landed vs connect percentages

I'm a new fan of boxing and I was watching Barrera-Morales I (Great fight) Something got me thinking. Which is more important, the amount of punches landed or the connect percentages? Because I remember that Lederman and Merchant give rounds to Barrera due to having the higher connect percentage despite Erik landing more. But the judges didn't seem to think that way. Anybody can clear it up for me?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 AM
New England
Strong champion.

Rep Power: 108 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 224,117,456,054,261.19
Total Points: 230,120,137,731,334.53
for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr 
Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack 
i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS 
For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 ugly arms - -Weltschmerz- 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagabilly View Post
I'm a new fan of boxing and I was watching Barrera-Morales I (Great fight) Something got me thinking. Which is more important, the amount of punches landed or the connect percentages? Because I remember that Lederman and Merchant give rounds to Barrera due to having the higher connect percentage despite Erik landing more. But the judges didn't seem to think that way. Anybody can clear it up for me?

it's all about the effectiveness of the blows.
whose blows are more effective?
who does more damage?

that's what you're asking yourself when you fill out a scorecard
if you honestly think that the amount of damage being dealt out is equal you can move to other aspects of scoring (aggression, ring generalship, defense,)

or you can score a round even. if both guys deal out an equal beating on eachother you can score it even. if they land no punches you can score it even.
judges in pro fights probably wont, but you're a grown man and you can do what you please if you know that a round is even
Old 06-09-2012, 02:12 AM
greynotsoold
Contender

Rep Power: 3 greynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,009,566.90

That's a good question...Supposedly, they score a round on clean punches, effective aggression, defense and ring generalship. So one guy lands 21 of 134, and the other guy lands 19 of 45, how do you count it? The quality of the punches being equal, I'd probably go for the 19/45. The numbers are close enough, but one guy missed 113 punches, so he loses effective aggression points, while the other guy gets defense points. Most judges now seem to score punches thrown, however.
I don't put much into punch stat numbers. I don't know what they consider a punch that lands, and I think they are affected by crowd noise and other biases just like anybody else. For example, watch the first Chavez/Taylor fight. They said Taylor landed 33 punches in the first round and I didn't see it. Watch the fight in slo-motion, and they consistently score taylor punches that land on shoulders, elbows, or glance after having been deflected off gloves.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 159,606,008,054,261.16
Total Points: 159,606,008,055,560.91
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England View Post
it's all about the effectiveness of the blows.
whose blows are more effective?
who does more damage?

that's what you're asking yourself when you fill out a scorecard
if you honestly think that the amount of damage being dealt out is equal you can move to other aspects of scoring (aggression, ring generalship, defense,)

or you can score a round even. if both guys deal out an equal beating on eachother you can score it even. if they land no punches you can score it even.
judges in pro fights probably wont, but you're a grown man and you can do what you please if you know that a round is even
^^^^^ That's it in a nutshell: The bottom line for scoring a round is who did more damage, every thing else is BS.

Poet
Old 06-09-2012, 03:44 PM
#1Assassin
Conveyor of Truth

Rep Power: 28 #1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,811,708,580.36
Total Points: 17,895,978,227.59
one of boxingscene's very worst posters - Freedom. one of boxingscene's very best posters - Barnburner What you said about Dempsey was real talk! - Atreyu Khalil you are one of THOSE terrible posters - Earl Hickey Eternal partnership,to MaryJane! - HughJass 
great advice in training forum - jas 

both punches landed and defense score points in pro boxing so it depends.

clean punches landed outweigh any other scoring criteria though so the punches landed is usually more important than the percentage, but the punches would have to be clean though.

if we say fighter A throws 100 punches with little force and lands 25, most of which are not clean or effective.

meanwhile fighter B throws just 50 and lands 20, but his punches are harder and cleaner. fighter B would probably win the round based on clean effective punching and defense even though his oponent landed more shots.

it depends on the scenario.