Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
View Poll Results: If He Wasn't A Proven Cheater, Would Shane Mosley Deserve A Place In The HOF?
Yes - His resume and legacy in the sport of boxing is worth of such recognition 17 89.47%
No - His resume isn't good enough and his legacy is overrated 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 PM
JK1700
Boxing Virtuoso

Rep Power: 13 JK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,702,166,385.21
Total Points: 6,706,233,896.80
keep up the good work champ - Atreyu Khalil Cheers! - dan_cov 
Default If He Wasn't A Proven Cheater Would Shane Mosley Deserve A Place In The Hall Of Fame?

As we all know, Shane has announced his retirement this week so now we can take a look back at his career and reflect. I have to give him credit for what he has done in the sport and I think we all agree that he has been one of the best boxers of the last 20 years. However, in my opinion, cheating to gain an illegal advantage in such a brutal sport like boxing where you can easily kill another person is completely and utterly despicable and therefore those who are caught should suffer in terms of their legacy because like Floyd said, we don't know how many titles people like James Toney and Shane Mosley really won. It's entirely feasible that both of them took enhancement drugs for their entire careers (except for Mosley in the Mayweather fight of course). I think most people would agree with me that people who are proven cheaters should be denied entry into the Hall of Fame and unfortunatelely considering what he's accomplished, Shane is one of them. It's nothing against him personally. I just don't like cheaters.

Of course there is the possibility that he will get in despite that, though and if that is the case then everything will fall on whether he has done enough to earn it in terms of his career accomplishments. So let's put the whole cheating aspect to one side and pretend that he isn't a cheater. I want to know what you guys think. Has Shane earned a place amongst boxing legends? Is his resume and general legacy good enough for the HOF? I personally don't think so. He can say that he beat Oscar De La Hoya twice but I think most of us would agree that only one of those victories was truly legit. When you look beyond that his resume is really quite bare. He beat Ricardo Mayorga who was a very solid fighter and Phillip Holiday who seems to have been a pretty good fighter and his wins over Fernando Vargas were also pretty good but we can't ignore the fact that Vargas had already been knocked out by Felix Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya and been exposed by Winky Wright also. Outside of that, what do you have? All you really have is Luis Collazo and some bum with no skills who was only ever winning fights because he had bricks in his gloves in Antonio Margarito. He also lost his biggest fights outside of De La Hoya with Forrest, Mayweather and Pacquiao. It looked to me like he didn't even try to win the Manny Pacquiao fight which has to be held against him regardless of whether he was injured or not. I don't think that he has a Hall of Fame resume and even if he did I still don't think Mosley should get in the HOF because he's a proven cheater, but i'm sure there are people with different opinions so I am curious to know what the general consensus is.

Please give me your take. Poll coming.

Last edited by JK1700; 06-06-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-06-2012, 04:09 PM
montakristo
Up and Comer

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,801.74

I like how you pretty much ignore Shane's best weight class in your whole analysis. Shane was an absolute beast at lightweight and the only reason he moved up was to chase huge fights. You can dock him for his losses but the fact is dude was a huge risk taker and was always challenging himself against the best, even if they were at weight classes he wasn't best at. That's why he has a lot of those losses
Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM
JK1700
Boxing Virtuoso

Rep Power: 13 JK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by montakristo View Post
I like how you pretty much ignore Shane's best weight class in your whole analysis. Shane was an absolute beast at lightweight and the only reason he moved up was to chase huge fights. You can dock him for his losses but the fact is dude was a huge risk taker and was always challenging himself against the best, even if they were at weight classes he wasn't best at. That's why he has a lot of those losses
I didn't ignore it. I mentioned his win over Phillip Holiday and I guess his wins over Molina and Leija were pretty good too, but other than that his Lightweight resume really isn't anything to get excited about at all. Floyd's resume at 130 is much better in my opinion. Unlike Mosley, he fought and beat the other outstanding fighter in his division at the time which was Diego Corrales. Mosley should have unified but didn't. He wasted valuable time fighting some patsies. And you can't use the cop-out that Mosley was too small to excuse his losses. Mosley was a huge Lightweight and Floyd was even smaller than him but still managed to beat and nearly always dominate naturally much bigger opponents.

Last edited by JK1700; 06-06-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:48 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 67 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,694,990,569,811,127.25
Total Points: 1,724,210,685,940,261.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1700 View Post
I didn't ignore it. I mentioned his win over Phillip Holiday and I guess his wins over Molina and Leija were pretty good too, but other than that his Lightweight resume really isn't anything to get excited about at all. Floyd's resume at 130 is much better in my opinion. Unlike Mosley, he fought and beat the other outstanding fighter in his division at the time which was Diego Corrales. Mosley should have unified but didn't. He wasted valuable time fighting some patsies. And you can't use the cop-out that Mosley was too small to excuse his losses. Mosley was a huge Lightweight and Floyd was even smaller than him but still managed to beat and nearly always dominate naturally much bigger opponents.
Not really.

Neither are good wins, really.

Mosley's Lightweight run is awful. Truly awful.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:04 PM
JK1700
Boxing Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
Not really.

Neither are good wins, really.

Mosley's Lightweight run is awful. Truly awful.
So why did you vote yes? (Assuming that it was you and not someone else).

Are his wins over De La Hoya, Vargas, Mayorga and Margarito really enough?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 PM
LoadedWraps
ĄDe Pinga!

Rep Power: 23 LoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 46,226,395,345,095.44
Total Points: 46,226,395,391,114.62
_4 - mathed _5 - mathed Back at ya - lparm thx, always appreciate a good toe to toe post - thuggery wouldn't let me give you greens - mathed 
pleasure to meet a NINERS fan :beerchug: - jose830 BANE - Mike Tyson77 Good karma to you for honoring our bet :) - Tyler_Durden STORMTROOPERS!!! - DonMega War Tribe - Hougigo 
To another great poster! - DosRounds To a valiant warrior. - DonMega Purple Heart for war! STORTROOPERS!! - DonMega war b-suth - Mike D For May 3rd to celebrate Mayweather's FIRST LOSS!! - Golovkin 
The LOADED medal!!! A special medal given to LoadedWraps for catching bodies on a daily basis. 1/1 SPECIAL EDITION. - Golovkin Red and Gold is my blood - -jose- A beer for my Comrad! - DonMega Toy my friend!One week  from history! - fundicao Guerra Cotto...PRPP..Tu Sabe.. - PRPOWERPUNCHES 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - LoadedWraps 

Absolutely. Why do people always want to treat cheating as the x-factor to take away all the achievements of a professional fighter, or any athlete for that matter? The drug doesn't win for you, it just enhances you. The talent and skill was all there, and Mosley worked his butt off. He deserves it.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Mastrangelo
Paul Williams beat Lara

Rep Power: 10 Mastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,543,989,498,834.59
Total Points: 954,153,987,840,753.12
thanks for the fight...cheers! - joe strong 

Both wins over Oscar are legit, he had couple decent wins to add and he never lost to a fighter below A- level, never ducked anyone and stayed on top of the game for more than 10 years. His Hall of Fame status is not questionable.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 67 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,694,990,569,811,127.25
Total Points: 1,724,210,685,940,261.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1700 View Post
So why did you vote yes? (Assuming that it was you and not someone else).

Are his wins over De La Hoya, Vargas, Mayorga and Margarito really enough?
I didn't vote yes.

But his resume is HOF worthy IMO.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:25 PM
LoadedWraps
ĄDe Pinga!

Rep Power: 23 LoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 46,226,395,345,095.44
Total Points: 46,226,395,391,114.62
_4 - mathed _5 - mathed Back at ya - lparm thx, always appreciate a good toe to toe post - thuggery wouldn't let me give you greens - mathed 
pleasure to meet a NINERS fan :beerchug: - jose830 BANE - Mike Tyson77 Good karma to you for honoring our bet :) - Tyler_Durden STORMTROOPERS!!! - DonMega War Tribe - Hougigo 
To another great poster! - DosRounds To a valiant warrior. - DonMega Purple Heart for war! STORTROOPERS!! - DonMega war b-suth - Mike D For May 3rd to celebrate Mayweather's FIRST LOSS!! - Golovkin 
The LOADED medal!!! A special medal given to LoadedWraps for catching bodies on a daily basis. 1/1 SPECIAL EDITION. - Golovkin Red and Gold is my blood - -jose- A beer for my Comrad! - DonMega Toy my friend!One week  from history! - fundicao Guerra Cotto...PRPP..Tu Sabe.. - PRPOWERPUNCHES 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - LoadedWraps 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastrangelo View Post
Both wins over Oscar are legit, he had couple decent wins to add and he never lost to a fighter below A- level, never ducked anyone and stayed on top of the game for more than 10 years. His Hall of Fame status is not questionable.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Mastrangelo
Paul Williams beat Lara

Rep Power: 10 Mastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,543,989,498,834.59
Total Points: 954,153,987,840,753.12
thanks for the fight...cheers! - joe strong 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedWraps View Post
If that's the best reply that you can produce then I guess I shouldn't even bother discussing with you. That's NSB spam level.