Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Redd Foxx
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Rep Power: 7 Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,453,356,625,872.99
Total Points: 3,453,356,654,092.02
Happy New Year - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
When you throw a left hook, or left uppercut, the weight ends up on your right leg. Then you can throw a right hand. When you throw a right hand, the weight ends up on your left foot, so you can throw a left hook.
That's an excellent way to look at it. The are exceptions of course, but in terms of momentum and power, it's important to pay attention to those shifts.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-06-2012, 01:09 AM
chris5
Up and Comer

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,206.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
so its like this, you throw a right straight, and your back foot heel comes off the ground.

as you return to normal stance from throwing the right straight, you bring your back foot heel down flat, and pivot with your lead foot as you throw the hook.

your weight is over your lead foot a little but the foot your actually planting flat is your back foot.

planting this stiffens the punch and makes your whole body more ridged/sturdy, making the punch harder.
this is exactly how he was showing me and how i feel it is more effective when i do it.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Spartacus Sully
The Great John L.

Rep Power: 30 Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 58,072,373,003.48
Total Points: 58,072,483,225.82
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5 View Post
this is exactly how he was showing me and how i feel it is more effective when i do it.
this is just the basic hook and how it should be throw in the 1-2-3 combo.

there are diffrent ways to throw the hook, but they are mainly based on a feeling. Like the basic hook is a sound punch that works very well, but with the other hooks your really need alot of experience and knowledge to know how and when to throw them.

for now work to master the left hook your coach teaches, if you find it hard to throw on the heavy bag, i find the speed bag works alot better for praticing hooks.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Vitez
Contender

Total Points: 27,711.30

yeah I agree here - pushing with front foot and planting the back foot. its more like squeezing the back leg's hamstrings and butock..
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 PM
..El Chacal..
.::Orgullo Mexicano::.

Rep Power: 21 ..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 68,858,782,154.10
Total Points: 78,858,841,182.27
I bought you a box of tissues so when Cotto loses, you can wipe your eyes!!!! Hahahahaha K - HTownTexan Here is a TV to watch all the big fights!!!!! - HTownTexan And here is some junk food... We all know the big fights arent the same without some food.... - HTownTexan And come fight night.... You cant forget the beer....   So you got a TV, some food, some beer.... Have a good time watching the fight .....  Dont leave your tissue behind.... You'll need them...J/K - HTownTexan Congrats on 1000 posts - ??? 
1k...Congrats - Izrock excellant posts! - jazbo Cheers. You got good taste in pussy homey - mangler For being a great member and poster - jazluvr449 Pa Disfrutar la Victoria en Noviembre 14!Vamos Cotto Pa Guerra! Papa! - Sox8055 
Back atcha bro'!  War Cotto! - jazluvr449 Have a drink my nigguh!!! - D-Omonist Congrats on 3K, my nizzle! - mangler jr merry christmas! - shobox Merry Xmas - mangler 
happy new year - Libido Sanchez long time .... brew on me - El Mustang Feliz Navidad - El Mustang 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - The Scientist Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - street bully Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr449 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr449 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - street bully 

The left hook is generally the follow up of a straight right..

A straight right has your front foot planted and the back foot pivoting and driving off the ground...as you snap it, the weight begins to transfer to the back foot and the front foot pivots and drives to the right along with the torque, it's a much more powerful shot when the back foot is planted.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 AM
TriGaFinGa
racist and proud

Rep Power: 5 TriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,030,113.04

lean foward, towards your left(chin should go some ways past the left/lead foot) and bend knee's

then come up and across with your left, weight is on front foot as you lean foward and push off it and torque you're ankle on the come up

keep practicing the left hook and it is your lead/left leg that will start to fail first, your back leg does not come into play until the end of the hook as you fall back onto it if at all as a powerful left hook artist will jump foward with the punch

Last edited by TriGaFinGa; 06-11-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 127 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,163,949,256,547,643.25
Total Points: 1,163,949,256,555,733.75
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest 
Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 
damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted &quot;las mañanitas&quot; on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 happy bday - -Mustang- 
Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth May you never stop spreading your knowledge. - BattlingNelson 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

To whoever says that your weight should be on your lead foot when throwing the hook, has no business teaching anything boxing.

I have one question to ask, if you have all your weight on your front foot when throwing a hook, how are you supposed to turn your back heel and pivot your hips to throw the right hand after the left hook?

Weight should go from both legs to the rear leg so you can turn your lead foot and turn your hips over to gain power and technique on the lead hook. Not all the weight but I would say about 70%.

Throwing proper punches is about doing a little choreographed dance almost, switching weight from foot to foot to maximize technique and power.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:22 PM
TriGaFinGa
racist and proud

Rep Power: 5 TriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond reputeTriGaFinGa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
To whoever says that your weight should be on your lead foot when throwing the hook, has no business teaching anything boxing.

I have one question to ask, if you have all your weight on your front foot when throwing a hook, how are you supposed to turn your back heel and pivot your hips to throw the right hand after the left hook?

Weight should go from both legs to the rear leg so you can turn your lead foot and turn your hips over to gain power and technique on the lead hook. Not all the weight but I would say about 70%.

Throwing proper punches is about doing a little choreographed dance almost, switching weight from foot to foot to maximize technique and power.
come on man, dont come at me like that and then say stuff like "turn your back heel"
you dont turn your back foot when you throw a left hook, you pivot and turn the front foot, and if you didn't have the majority of the weight(whether 70% or w/e else) on the front foot to start then what is the point of turning off the lead foot? the point of pivoting, pushing off, is to transfer weight/force from the foot

to start, lead foot has the weigh on it, you pivot off the lead foot and yes, it can travel to the back foot to end, but that's usually if you are puncing in place and will not happen often(considering you're throwing a proper hook) unless you miss and need the back foot as you fall back on it

tell me what you see here

Old 06-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 127 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,163,949,256,547,643.25
Total Points: 1,163,949,256,555,733.75
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest 
Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 
damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted &quot;las mañanitas&quot; on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 happy bday - -Mustang- 
Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth May you never stop spreading your knowledge. - BattlingNelson 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGaFinGa View Post
come on man, dont come at me like that and then say stuff like "turn your back heel"
you dont turn your back foot when you throw a left hook, you pivot and turn the front foot, and if you didn't have the majority of the weight(whether 70% or w/e else) on the front foot to start then what is the point of turning off the lead foot? the point of pivoting, pushing off, is to transfer weight/force from the foot

to start, lead foot has the weigh on it, you pivot off the lead foot and yes, it can travel to the back foot to end, but that's usually if you are puncing in place and will not happen often(considering you're throwing a proper hook) unless you miss and need the back foot as you fall back on it
Good lord..................

TURN YOUR BACK HEEL ON THE RIGHT HAND.... AS IN FOLLOWING THE LEFT HOOK WITH THE RIGHT HAND.

Come on man, you have to READ my posts completely. If you have all your weight on your front foot, how the hell are you supposed to turn your back heal when throwing the right hand follow?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 PM
TriGaFinGa
racist and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
Good lord..................

TURN YOUR BACK HEEL ON THE RIGHT HAND.... AS IN FOLLOWING THE LEFT HOOK WITH THE RIGHT HAND.

Come on man, you have to READ my posts completely. If you have all your weight on your front foot, how the hell are you supposed to turn your back heal when throwing the right hand follow?
my bad then, your opening sentence was misleading