Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Dave1318
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,832.80

There's still fighters that have runs of impressive opponents (Froch for example) but I agree even in those cases they only normally fight 2/3 times a year. But like the chap above said, the preperation for fights is totally different nowadays. Fighters will embark on a 12 week camp and have all kinds of nutritionists, conditioners etc to get them to the pinaccle of what their body can achieve. Mind you, if you fought every 6-8 weeks then you wouldnt need a 12 week training camp as you'd always be in good condition and cutting weight wouldnt have been such a big issue (partly because of the constant activity and partly because there werent so many weight divisions back then).

We moan about fighters but really its all about the TV dates. Think how many top fighters there are, there's no way they could all get TV coverage for 6+ fights a year unless pay expectations were drastically changed.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-24-2012, 03:32 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 351,524,337,241.89
Total Points: 352,524,590,007.75
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

You didn't have to train 3 months to lose weight. Most fighters were always in fighting condition and learned the necessary skills to pace themselves for 15 rounds of action. Those who continually had to train to lose weight had shorter careers and were usually less skilled than those who used their training camps to hone their boxing skill.

On the other hand you still had guys like Archie Moore who could compete at 200 pounds and then 175 pounds the next month. It was his incredible level of skill and experience that allowed him to do so.

I just don't think it's possible for a fighter today to learn as many skills as Archie Moore did in a mere 30-40 pro fights compared to his 220, spent fighting against the very best year after year. The likes of Hopkins and Mayweather come the closest.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 05-24-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:39 PM
DLT
DMV

Rep Power: 49 DLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 411,685,353,215.57
Total Points: 621,685,614,827.43
Most underated poster - El Dominicano Good poster... - Spacey1991 good poster - DuttyAlacrity Good poster - -Ash- heres to you homie - markbnlv 
one of my favs posters - Dambala Here's a beer for the hell of it, bro. - Libido Sanchez you're a cool dude - Mucus you're a good dude, thanks for the NBA stream site!! - Disposable Arts have some cake - MARKBNLV 
Medal for telling those dudes off for insulting the boy trying to meet his pop - hectari 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - S a m u r a i Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - S a m u r a i Childhood Cancer - S a m u r a i 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedWraps View Post
If boxing continues to decline, that is what will be recognized. Because the sport has been in decline for over 50 years, and that is a fact, not an opinion. Go do research then come back with a more educated opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by res View Post
It is the trend of history. Societies tend toward decline, particularly after they peak.

The myth embracing person is actually the one that assumes that "things will always be as they have been".

If you want to avoid the cycle you have to work at it, but the only thing that is automatic is decline.
This is not what the TS was talkin about? What does what the TS asked have to do with the decline of the sport? Its 2 totally seperate things. Also, the sport in decline doesnt tell the full story. Its not just about fighters. When boxing came along, there were no other pro sports at all besides Baseball. Football & Basketball werent around. Now Football is by far the #1 sport in the US.

There are also things about PPV as opposed to basic TV but none of that has to do with what the TS asked. A decline in the sport has nothing to do with weather a guy could fight a ton of fights like they did in the old days or not. That is about a era and an individual boxer. Guys cold do it today if thats what they had to do.

You say its a decline in the sport but its a huge incline in the athelete. In all of pro sports guys are way bigger, stronger, & faster than in the past. There is no disputing that. It might not show as much in boxing because they have weight classes but dont tell me that todays atheletes who are naturally much more bigger, stronger, & faster cant do anything that guys in the past could do. It makes no sense
Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 351,524,337,241.89
Total Points: 352,524,590,007.75
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLT View Post
What are both of you talkin about? What does what the TS asked have to do with the decline of the sport? Its 2 totally seperate things. Also, the sport in decline doesnt tell the full story. Its not just about fighters. When boxing came along, there were no other pro sports at all besides Baseball. Football & Basketball werent around. Now Football is by far the #1 sport in the US.

There are also things about PPV as opposed to basic TV but none of that has to do with what the TS asked. A decline in the sport has nothing to do with weather a guy could fight a ton of fights like they did in the old days or not. That is about a era and an individual boxer. Guys cold do it today if thats what they had to do.

You say its a decline in the sport but its a huge incline in the athelete. In all of pro sports guys are way bigger, stronger, & faster than in the past. There is no disputing that. It might not show as much in boxing because they have weight classes but dont tell me that todays atheletes who are naturally much more bigger, stronger, & faster cant do anything that guys in the past could do. It makes no sense
They can't if they aren't taught to do so.

I bet Andre Berto could do whatever Mayweather does but he does not.

I think Mayweather and Pacquiao have shown that being bigger and stronger is not all there is to it. They are far from as big as even the welterweights from the 1980's, whose average height was 6 feet. The likes of Thomas Hearns, Milton McCrory, Mark Breland and Maurice Blocker would tower over today's bunch of welterweights.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 05-24-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Salardo
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 Salardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 400,536,996,869.22
When you use it think of me - BMWM3P This color matches your eyes - BMWM3P one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - BMWM3P 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBOOMER View Post
I mean they fought damn near every weak in vicious fights sometimes theyd fight ATg fighters a couple times in a year. How is this possible? By today's standards most guys would lose there prime and be shot to hell.

Is it just a testament to how good they are?
Was it ped's
Or was them fighting so much a benefit that there body's could just take that punishment?

I shoulda put this in the history section.
I think those old school fighters had sometimes an agreement to not hurt each other too much. I read that in interviews, but that doesnt apply for all fights of course. the other thing is that they were not fighting the best competition in every fight. they were fighting a good fighter, and then 5 bums, then another good fighter, and another 5 bums. know what I mean? thats why they lasted so long. they were not super human or anything like that
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 PM
DLT
DMV

Rep Power: 49 DLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond reputeDLT has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 411,685,353,215.57
Total Points: 621,685,614,827.43
Most underated poster - El Dominicano Good poster... - Spacey1991 good poster - DuttyAlacrity Good poster - -Ash- heres to you homie - markbnlv 
one of my favs posters - Dambala Here's a beer for the hell of it, bro. - Libido Sanchez you're a cool dude - Mucus you're a good dude, thanks for the NBA stream site!! - Disposable Arts have some cake - MARKBNLV 
Medal for telling those dudes off for insulting the boy trying to meet his pop - hectari 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - S a m u r a i Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - S a m u r a i Childhood Cancer - S a m u r a i 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
They can't if they aren't taught to do so.

I bet Andre Berto could do whatever Mayweather does but he does not.

I think Mayweather and Pacquiao have shown that being bigger and stronger is not all there is to it. They are far from as big as even the welterweights from the 1980's, whose average height was 6 feet.
nobody can do anything if they arent taught to do so but they question is are the phyically capable and the answer is hell yes. Sure it wouldnt be wise to just take an already older establised guy and now tell him to go fight 6-10 times per year but it also wouldnt have been wised to tell one of those past guys to only fight once per year.

If they did then I bet anything there performances in the ring wouldnt be nearly as good as a fighter today. However if they had to do it and got use to it then they could adjust just as a fighter today could easily adjust if he had to do so. Its just not what they were doing at the time. Nothing special about it. You definitely have to give those guys credit for being able to do that but I never have and never be with the crowd who calls todays atheltes weak sissies.

I think thats what fans tend to do nowdays and its bs. Dont tell me that someone who trains as hard as Floyd couldnt do that. These guys spar hundreds of rounds anyways. Its not a real fight but again, the past guys arent fighting all top guys. People only remember the big names but if those guys had 100 fights then you will see about 80 average guys or bums on the list. No one remembers that though. Its all the same. It averages out
Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Salardo
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 Salardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 400,536,996,869.22
When you use it think of me - BMWM3P This color matches your eyes - BMWM3P one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - BMWM3P 

btw the super six tournament at super middleweight that we just had, says it all: suddenly the best fight the best in every fight, and tons of injuries occur and pple pull out of fights left and right: Dirrell, Kessler and so on.
here I got a screenshots of a part of Willie Pep's boxing record: Pep fought over 200 fights as a pro and in the 7 consecutive fights in the screenshot you see a prime Willie Pep fighting Ray Famechon (good fighter), then 5 "bums" (or average fighters), then another good fighter in Sandy Saddler:

Last edited by Salardo; 05-24-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:00 PM
champ_kw
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 0 champ_kw is infamous around these partschamp_kw is infamous around these partschamp_kw is infamous around these partschamp_kw is infamous around these partschamp_kw is infamous around these partschamp_kw is infamous around these partschamp_kw is infamous around these partschamp_kw is infamous around these partschamp_kw is infamous around these partschamp_kw is infamous around these partschamp_kw is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 43,142.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedWraps View Post
If boxing continues to decline, that is what will be recognized. Because the sport has been in decline for over 50 years, and that is a fact, not an opinion. Go do research then come back with a more educated opinion.
50 years? So the sport was on the incline when race halted Jack Johnson's initial attempts to fight for a title or when the mob openly influenced the outcome of fights? Within these 50 years you speak of, we've witnessed the most popular figures the sport has ever seen. We've put together some of the most notable Olympics teams the USA has ever seen. What about these 50 years that has made the sport decline? The only difference now is that the downtrodden of society who usually thrive in boxing have options now. That's why track and field has seen a shift in popularity. Because most of the greats that dominated these low resourced sports find bigger pots of gold at the end of the basketball or football rainbow.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 PM
cixthree
Banned

Rep Power: 0 cixthree is infamous around these partscixthree is infamous around these partscixthree is infamous around these partscixthree is infamous around these partscixthree is infamous around these partscixthree is infamous around these partscixthree is infamous around these partscixthree is infamous around these partscixthree is infamous around these partscixthree is infamous around these partscixthree is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 386,407.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBOOMER View Post
I mean they fought damn near every weak in vicious fights sometimes theyd fight ATg fighters a couple times in a year. How is this possible? By today's standards most guys would lose there prime and be shot to hell.

Is it just a testament to how good they are?
Was it ped's
Or was them fighting so much a benefit that there body's could just take that punishment?

I shoulda put this in the history section.
If they had the same medical guidlines that they have today, I'm sure those guys would not have been able to fight soo much.
Back then a guy could go in with half his vision and nobody would know, but today you have to pass physicals
Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 AM
MRBOOMER
My skin I get it

Rep Power: 9 MRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond reputeMRBOOMER has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 365,178,281,040,132.62
Total Points: 365,178,281,077,215.25
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil &quot;Best I've ever faced&quot; thread, awesome read! - jose830 Good thread. - FeFist &quot;The best I've ever faced&quot; = great thread - mathed all around good poster. - I'm so sorry 
Thanks bro - komodo No Message - MRBOOMER 
Head and Neck Cancer - I'm so sorry Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - komodo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MRBOOMER Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - MRBOOMER Hepatitis C - MRBOOMER 

Bump......