Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: Biggest factor to boxing's decline in the US
Boxing is no longer on free network TV (PPV killing it) 18 50.00%
The HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION is dead 6 16.67%
Lack of superstar personalities and talent overall. Just 2.. in floyd and pac 0 0%
Lack of MEGA FIGHTS. Due to bad promoters like arum 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Navigation

#11
Old 05-12-2012, 05:21 PM
TheHayeMaker
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 429
Rep Power: 0 TheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these parts
Points: 67,652.25
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 67,652.25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELHURACAN58 View Post
Boxing dying in the US is the result of them having no great heavyweight.

If/when they get another good/great heavyweight pounder you will see how it miracliously revived in the US
In terms of media coverage you could be right.

Seth Mitchell at this state is still a ****ing contenter at best. and yet ESPN actauly talked about his fight against Whiterspoon and they even did a little analaysis of Seth.

they wll not pay any attention like that to a lightweight fighter at that stage of his career
Reply With Quote
TheHayeMaker is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#12
Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 PM
ELHURACAN58
Weather Controller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Puerto Rico
Age: 23
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 12 ELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond reputeELHURACAN58 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 22,414,094,615.48
Bank: 43,088,776,466,152.95
Total Points: 43,111,190,560,768.42
cool boricua - Cleto_Reyes happy new year - bigsmoothh Margarito thread video you posted...lmao!!!..love it - jose830 love that Camacho avi :fing02: - jose830 World Baseball Classic updates :beerchug: - jose830 
i almost spilled my coffee :lol1: Puerto Ricans: The world is in big trouble! - jose830 No Message - Tha_Greatest 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHayeMaker View Post
In terms of media coverage you could be right.

Seth Mitchell at this state is still a ****ing contenter at best. and yet ESPN actauly talked about his fight against Whiterspoon and they even did a little analaysis of Seth.

they wll not pay any attention like that to a lightweight fighter at that stage of his career
Yes and as we all know, great media coverage leads to casual bandwagon fans. They wont see fighters cause they love the sport, they will think he's God in human flesh.

Happens in all US sports, be it the Yankees, the Red Sox the Lakers, the Heat, etc.

PS. Its not just the US this happens in, its in AT LEAST all western countries. I wouldnt know if it happens in other continents cause I havent lived there, though I would think they hyped up Ricky Hatton pretty well in the UK for english fans to fill the seats every time he's fought in the US.
Reply With Quote
ELHURACAN58 is offline
#13
Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 PM
EdMon917
8===D~
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA✈LV✈NY
Posts: 3,531
Rep Power: 17 EdMon917 has a reputation beyond reputeEdMon917 has a reputation beyond reputeEdMon917 has a reputation beyond reputeEdMon917 has a reputation beyond reputeEdMon917 has a reputation beyond reputeEdMon917 has a reputation beyond reputeEdMon917 has a reputation beyond reputeEdMon917 has a reputation beyond reputeEdMon917 has a reputation beyond reputeEdMon917 has a reputation beyond reputeEdMon917 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 4,500,020,712.24
Bank: 29,652,151,057.97
Total Points: 34,152,171,770.21
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? - ??? Is it a bird, is it a plane? - ??? No Message - arraamis No Message - arraamis No Message - arraamis 
No Message - arraamis No Message - arraamis No Message - eddie_monster No Message - eddie_monster No Message - eddie_monster 
No Message - eddie_monster No Message - eddie_monster No Message - eddie_monster No Message - eddie_monster No Message - eddie_monster 
No Message - eddie_monster No Message - eddie_monster No Message - eddie_monster No Message - eddie_monster :wave: - Bossy 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - chiguy91 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - ??? World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - ??? World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - eddie_monster 
Default

I think it has to do with promotions. Big fights are on PPV or premium cable networks and the best are not fighting the best.
Reply With Quote
EdMon917 is offline
#14
Old 05-12-2012, 05:42 PM
TheHayeMaker
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 429
Rep Power: 0 TheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these parts
Points: 67,652.25
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 67,652.25
Default

Just a example of how much PPV really is killing boxing


Imagine the Lakers were PPV ONLY

how big does their rating base drop
Reply With Quote
TheHayeMaker is offline
#15
Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 PM
pacmanis1
Interim Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 930
Rep Power: 8 pacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 1,000,051,169.34
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,000,051,169.34
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil No Message - sugarsmosley 
Default

I believe PPV has a lot to do with it, but it's also just the lack of availability. If you want to check out boxing you have to seek it out. It's not just PPV, but the premium cable. Boxing is the most expensive sport to be a fan of. When I moved out on my own I got a cable with HBO and Showtime so I could finally actually follow the sport, but that cost 90$ a month. Also promoters and fighters not fighting the best obviously. Also crappy undercards doesn't help. There are a lot of factors but by trying to maximize revenue with stuff like HBO and PPVs I believe they really alienated a large segment of the market. I enjoy watching football but I don't know if I'd pay extra just for the channel to watch it if I had to. It would really be interesting to see what the numbers would be for Floyd/Cotto if it was on NBC or something. Sports to men are something of a pass time. Even guys who don't care about boxing would be tuning in just because it's sports. Just my $.02.
Reply With Quote
pacmanis1 is offline
#16
Old 05-12-2012, 05:56 PM
TheHayeMaker
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 429
Rep Power: 0 TheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these parts
Points: 67,652.25
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 67,652.25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanis1 View Post
I believe PPV has a lot to do with it, but it's also just the lack of availability. If you want to check out boxing you have to seek it out. It's not just PPV, but the premium cable. Boxing is the most expensive sport to be a fan of. When I moved out on my own I got a cable with HBO and Showtime so I could finally actually follow the sport, but that cost 90$ a month. Also promoters and fighters not fighting the best obviously. Also crappy undercards doesn't help. There are a lot of factors but by trying to maximize revenue with stuff like HBO and PPVs I believe they really alienated a large segment of the market. I enjoy watching football but I don't know if I'd pay extra just for the channel to watch it if I had to. It would really be interesting to see what the numbers would be for Floyd/Cotto if it was on NBC or something. Sports to men are something of a pass time. Even guys who don't care about boxing would be tuning in just because it's sports. Just my $.02.
That's a very very good post.

Talking to my friends about football (or as Americans call it soccer)

'soccer' is the most watched sport in the world, BUT the vast majority of my friends at uni said that 'if we have to pay for a Manchester United Game on a prem PPV deal or something, we will stop watching most of their games. Only the very big ones.

And this is the most watched sport in the world we talking about. Even a super sport like soccer (world wide) or NFL (America) will decline big time in popurality if you have to pay like 70 bucks per big event
Reply With Quote
TheHayeMaker is offline
#17
Old 05-12-2012, 07:24 PM
pacmanis1
Interim Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 930
Rep Power: 8 pacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 1,000,051,169.34
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,000,051,169.34
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil No Message - sugarsmosley 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHayeMaker View Post
That's a very very good post.

Talking to my friends about football (or as Americans call it soccer)

'soccer' is the most watched sport in the world, BUT the vast majority of my friends at uni said that 'if we have to pay for a Manchester United Game on a prem PPV deal or something, we will stop watching most of their games. Only the very big ones.

And this is the most watched sport in the world we talking about. Even a super sport like soccer (world wide) or NFL (America) will decline big time in popurality if you have to pay like 70 bucks per big event
See football(soccer for us yanks) is a great example. I enjoy watching it, but I don't go out of my way much to check it out, but its a sport and I enjoy watching it when it's on. If I had to pay to watch the World Cup, I probably wouldn't cause I'm not a die hard fan, but as long as it's on free tv of course I'm going to watch it. The World Cup's probably a bad example because it's such a global event but it shows my point.

On a side note even though I'm not a huge football fan it is on my bucket list to go see a game in the UK at some point. At the very least I'd like to sit in a pub and watch Manchester United or someone play. I bet the atmosphere would be something incredible. I did grow up in Minnesota so I can fake a good Canadian accent.
Reply With Quote
pacmanis1 is offline
#18
Old 05-13-2012, 04:11 AM
TBear
Lords of Boxingscene
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the shadows of your dreams
Age: 91
Posts: 69,657
Rep Power: 441 TBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,385.69
Bank: 1,017,910,410,730,836,352.00
Total Points: 1,017,910,410,730,838,784.00
i couldn't green you , so here's a beer TBear!! - HUGH JASS GIF Thread: Distinguished Service Medal - Barnburner I be loving them gifs you post :fing02: - jose830 One of BScenes best - jazluvr happy holidays bro - jazluvr 
thanks T...Merry Christmas to you too. - -jose- lol sorry about the rose, I meant to send you some bubbly lol - -jose- Happy Holidays, bud! - Talisayen Happy Holidays, TBear! - peyk-peyk Good looking out, TBear! - Fistic 
everything good T thanks for asking - -jose- blue parallelogram to you :D - lebrick legendary - lazy Classic Boxing Pictures - - Ram Raid - Hope you had a good long weekend. - -jose- 
Thanks for honoring your bet in a timely manner bro, cheers! - Tyler_Durden honestly T I believe you would make the perfect Mod you got my vote... is it cool with you if I post that on the thread? - -jose- tried to green ya but ive given too much in the last 24 hours, i still got your bakk - Tha_Greatest Here's beer while listening to good music - led thanks bud :fing02: - -jose- 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S A M U R A I Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - S A M U R A I Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - S A M U R A I Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - MANGLER Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - MANGLER 
Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - MANGLER World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cooper5 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Izrock AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Raider Monkz 
Head and Neck Cancer - Izrock Childhood Cancer - ??? Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ??? Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hard Dick Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Unknown Champ 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - BABYBOXER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Trudoe 
Default

One posibility is the fact that network tv dropped boxing years ago. Saturday and Sunday afternoons used to be filled with fights. American families would sit around the tv and see top athletes compete in boxing every week. Now that it is only televised late night on primarily on pay channels young people have no access to it especially in the inner citys. Kids in the states once would dream of growning up to be Sugar Ray Leonard or Muhammad Ali. The amateur programs and gyms were overflowed with wishful kids. Now they all want to be a NBA star like Kobie or Lebron. If not that they are now playing highschool and college football or basketball trying to get a scholarship.
Think about it,
You cannot get a scholarship to college with boxing really, yet thousands know they can with other sports and add the fact that kids today don't see boxing on national television so there is no one they can identify with or use as a role model like there was 10-20 years ago.
Reply With Quote
TBear is online now
#19
Old 05-13-2012, 04:17 AM
TheHayeMaker
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 429
Rep Power: 0 TheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these partsTheHayeMaker is infamous around these parts
Points: 67,652.25
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 67,652.25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBear View Post
One posibility is the fact that network tv dropped boxing years ago. Saturday and Sunday afternoons used to be filled with fights. American families would sit around the tv and see top athletes compete in boxing every week. Now that it is only televised late night on primarily on pay channels young people have no access to it especially in the inner citys. Kids in the states once would dream of growning up to be Sugar Ray Leonard or Muhammad Ali. The amateur programs and gyms were overflowed with wishful kids. Now they all want to be a NBA star like Kobie or Lebron. If not that they are now playing highschool and college football or basketball trying to get a scholarship.
Think about it,
You cannot get a scholarship to college with boxing really, yet thousands know they can with other sports and add the fact that kids today don't see boxing on national television so there is no one they can identify with or use as a role model like there was 10-20 years ago.
Just some random examples of how boxing is nowadays amongst the general population of high school-college age kids

Our Econ professor is a big boxing fan and I as a joke wanted hi mto ask the lecture of 400 students 'who did Floyd Mayweather beat'

at least a dozen people shouted 'mike tyson'
and another shouted 'ali'

the last 'general mainstream' event boxing ever had was probably
the lennox lewis knock out of Mike Tyson

PPV REALLY DON'T MEAN anything because its so exclusive.

Reading articles from the 70's they said streets were empty for the Ali Frazier fight.. you know that era where there was no PPV?
and boxing was on free tv?

Streets were just silent... during their first fight, Ali vs Foreman , Ali had the entire country following him and chanting his name.

In the 80's even the Leonard Hearns fight and Hagler Hearns made the front pages of every newspaper, entire sections.

Last edited by TheHayeMaker; 05-13-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
TheHayeMaker is offline
#20
Old 05-13-2012, 04:54 AM
Cloud
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 22
Posts: 1,994
Rep Power: 9 Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCloud has a reputation beyond reputeCloud has a reputation beyond reputeCloud has a reputation beyond reputeCloud has a reputation beyond reputeCloud has a reputation beyond reputeCloud has a reputation beyond reputeCloud has a reputation beyond reputeCloud has a reputation beyond reputeCloud has a reputation beyond reputeCloud has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 5,049,528.90
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,049,528.90
I like ur avatar - zab191 For finishing 2nd in Season 3 of The Predictorship Challenge - D4thincarnation 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHayeMaker View Post
Just some random examples of how boxing is nowadays amongst the general population of high school-college age kids

Our Econ professor is a big boxing fan and I as a joke wanted hi mto ask the lecture of 400 students 'who did Floyd Mayweather beat'

at least a dozen people shouted 'mike tyson'
and another shouted 'ali'

the last 'general mainstream' event boxing ever had was probably
the lennox lewis knock out of Mike Tyson

PPV REALLY DON'T MEAN anything because its so exclusive.

Reading articles from the 70's they said streets were empty for the Ali Frazier fight.. you know that era where there was no PPV?
and boxing was on free tv?

Streets were just silent... during their first fight, Ali vs Foreman , Ali had the entire country following him and chanting his name.

In the 80's even the Leonard Hearns fight and Hagler Hearns made the front pages of every newspaper, entire sections.
My dad's 50 years old and he said everybody in Bradford (where he lived at the time) shot inside for the fight.

Same with Mike Tyson.

He's used to be pretty hardcore but now he's pretty casual.

I'm glad Mick Hennessey is putting boxing on Channel 5. His guys will become household names.

I hate Sky Sports. I hate PPV. I'd love to see it die TBH.

Only mainstream news I've heard with boxing mentioned is the ''controversy'' of Chisora-Haye.....never anything else.

BBC and ITV are ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
Cloud is offline
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
biggest, blame, boxing's, decline, factor, most?, poll:

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.