Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 AM
BennyST
Shhhh...

Rep Power: 62 BennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,010,653,672,550.07
Total Points: 55,040,886,788,791.80
drink up buddy - mgkirkpatrick You're a great poster - Clegg cheers....great poster. - MELLY-MEL... To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led 
top poster - IronMike* Best Post award,,, and Geen K - McGoorty one of boxingscene's sh1ttiest posters - Freedom. Easily one of boxingscene's best!! - JAB5239 7,000 posts! - Scott9945 
Happy holidays bro! - led* you deserve a kick for your hatred of the Klitschkos - Freedom. Superb post. - dan_cov 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 
Default I need to ask some unbiased, smart people...

I have seen so many people in since the fight between Marquez and Barrera saying they think Barrera not only did really well, but actually won. I saw it again from someone saying that while Marquez's resume is great, he thought Barrera won.

While he fought what I think was his last great effort and fight, I don't think there is any possible way, no matter what you are looking for, that Barrera could have won that. In fact, I think the scores were probably closer than they should have been and that it was a definite 116-112 type fight.

Forget the knock down. He had his extra point taken away for the very late punch, and is lucky he wasn't DQ'd. That's not a factor. If it is to you, just look at it like this, even were the KD counted, it only becomes an even round for the point taken off and the fact that Marquez had utterly dominated it to that point.

Anyway, I just don't get it. I've watched that fight many times, and both have been favourites for a long time, so is it just rose tinted glasses or what? Barrera didn't get close to winning the fight, no matter what style of fight you prefer. He lost the boxing match and he lost the fight.

What's the deal guys?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Mastrangelo
Paul Williams beat Lara

Rep Power: 10 Mastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,521,404,633,661.38
Total Points: 958,131,402,982,728.00
thanks for the fight...cheers! - joe strong 

If you watch Barrera fights, HBO team, especially Lampley, is always extremly biased towards Marco.
You can see it in his Morales meetings, when they made big deal out of first fight robbery and were like "oh, it's ok" about second fight where scoring was actually much worse. In the third very close fight they also made it look like Barrera was schooling or something.
You could see that also in Rocky Juarez fights. Those scorecards from first fights were just weird and to me there's no way Barrera won that fight, but again, for HBO it was just close fight that could've gone either way. Then we had a rematch, extremaly close fight that I thought Juarez won as well, but Lampley were just praising Barreras jab that was hitting air and guard of Juarez all night long and said some bull**** that Barrera is one of the greatest that ever lived and that he fought like Muhammad Ali in that fight.
Marquez fight was final moment of that hype, Barrera had his moments but Marquez was answering with combination for single punches from Barrera and with longer combinations for every combination of Marco. He won that clearly and although it was competitive it wasn't really close score-weise. It just HBO team fooled people if you ask me.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Spartacus Sully
The Great John L.

Rep Power: 30 Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 58,072,373,003.48
Total Points: 58,072,483,300.82
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyST View Post
I have seen so many people in since the fight between Marquez and Barrera saying they think Barrera not only did really well, but actually won. I saw it again from someone saying that while Marquez's resume is great, he thought Barrera won.

While he fought what I think was his last great effort and fight, I don't think there is any possible way, no matter what you are looking for, that Barrera could have won that. In fact, I think the scores were probably closer than they should have been and that it was a definite 116-112 type fight.

Forget the knock down. He had his extra point taken away for the very late punch, and is lucky he wasn't DQ'd. That's not a factor. If it is to you, just look at it like this, even were the KD counted, it only becomes an even round for the point taken off and the fact that Marquez had utterly dominated it to that point.

Anyway, I just don't get it. I've watched that fight many times, and both have been favourites for a long time, so is it just rose tinted glasses or what? Barrera didn't get close to winning the fight, no matter what style of fight you prefer. He lost the boxing match and he lost the fight.

What's the deal guys?
m
b
b
b
m
b

ima have a cig and watch the rest.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 144,560,078,921,372.62
Total Points: 144,560,078,928,759.03
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ziggy Stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyST View Post

What's the deal guys?
It probably boils down to a case where too many people were watching the fight with their "fan glasses" on. I think historically Barrera has been the more popular of the two fighters amongst fans and that shades their perception of the fight.

Poet
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 AM
BennyST
Shhhh...

Rep Power: 62 BennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond reputeBennyST has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,010,653,672,550.07
Total Points: 55,040,886,788,791.80
drink up buddy - mgkirkpatrick You're a great poster - Clegg cheers....great poster. - MELLY-MEL... To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led 
top poster - IronMike* Best Post award,,, and Geen K - McGoorty one of boxingscene's sh1ttiest posters - Freedom. Easily one of boxingscene's best!! - JAB5239 7,000 posts! - Scott9945 
Happy holidays bro! - led* you deserve a kick for your hatred of the Klitschkos - Freedom. Superb post. - dan_cov 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
It probably boils down to a case where too many people were watching the fight with their "fan glasses" on. I think historically Barrera has been the more popular of the two fighters amongst fans and that shades their perception of the fight.

Poet
Yeah man, I agree. But what bugs me about it is that I could see it, even though, at the time, I would have been a bigger Barrera fan than Marquez, yet I still the scored the fight right. A semi-close but very clear Marquez win.

Cheers Mastrangelo.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Spartacus Sully
The Great John L.

Rep Power: 30 Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 58,072,373,003.48
Total Points: 58,072,483,300.82
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
m
b
b
b
m
b

ima have a cig and watch the rest.
then from the 7th
m(9-10)
b
9-9
m
m
9-9

so draw at 113-113 with the point taken away Marquez wins, but its my opinion that his knee hadnt touched the ground.

Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-02-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM
greynotsoold
Contender

Rep Power: 3 greynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,009,551.90

I was at Barrera's first US fight, days after his 18th birthday. I've watched him workout, seen him live two other times, and seen every televised fight going all the way back. I remember the first Boxing After Dark fight, Barrera/McKinney, when the HBO team was biased against Barrera. I saw Marquez's 5th pro fight, and have followed him ever since. I have seen him workout several times. I am a fan of both, to equal degrees, though I long thought that barrera and Morales, whom I consider to be a full step behind Marquez and Barrera, ducked Marquez.
Anyway, I thought that Marquez won. I think by two points, though I haven't seen the fight since it happened.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:46 PM
BigStereotype
#1 Knicks Fan

Rep Power: 54 BigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 258,487,030,556.10
Total Points: 460,487,255,979.41
Very Good poster. - Barnburner Keep up the good posts. - Barnburner BURRRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid 100% solid - The Surgeon another useless dothraki clown, here savage - Ether 
Heres a Fish! - The Surgeon :) - MANIAC310 Merry Christmas - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon No problem bro, thanks.. Knicks will be fine. - Fresno 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether 

Those are my two favorites, so obviously, I've watched the fight a million times and every time, I see Marquez winning a very close, tightly contested fight. Don't remember my exact card from last time, but it was a 115-112, I believe.

Now here's how I score the 7th: 10-8. Marquez was on his way to a 10-8 round before the knockdown (and that's definitely a legit knockdown), so at the very best, Barrera was headed towards a 9-9 round. When you factor in the point deduction (which easily could have been a DQ, that was as flagrant a cheap shot as you'll see), it's a 9-8 round, which I sort of would have liked to see because you NEVER see a 9-8. But you have to score what the ref rules, and he ruled it no knockdown, so it's back to a 10-9 round, because the knockdown eliminates the 10-8 for Marquez. THEN with the point deduction, it's back to 10-8. One of the weirdest scoring rounds I've ever seen, but Nady's error really only cost Barrera a point, which wouldn't have made the difference on my card.

That being said, it's an incredible fight. So much tactical, extremely high level boxing going on in that one, and with such action! Definitely one of my favorites.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
BigStereotype
#1 Knicks Fan

Rep Power: 54 BigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 258,487,030,556.10
Total Points: 460,487,255,979.41
Very Good poster. - Barnburner Keep up the good posts. - Barnburner BURRRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid 100% solid - The Surgeon another useless dothraki clown, here savage - Ether 
Heres a Fish! - The Surgeon :) - MANIAC310 Merry Christmas - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon No problem bro, thanks.. Knicks will be fine. - Fresno 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
I was at Barrera's first US fight, days after his 18th birthday. I've watched him workout, seen him live two other times, and seen every televised fight going all the way back. I remember the first Boxing After Dark fight, Barrera/McKinney, when the HBO team was biased against Barrera. I saw Marquez's 5th pro fight, and have followed him ever since. I have seen him workout several times. I am a fan of both, to equal degrees, though I long thought that barrera and Morales, whom I consider to be a full step behind Marquez and Barrera, ducked Marquez.
Anyway, I thought that Marquez won. I think by two points, though I haven't seen the fight since it happened.
Roy was, but you'll have a lot of trouble convincing anyone that Lampley was ever biased against Barrera. And with Roy, it's understandable. McKinney was one of his boys from the Olympic team. I'm glad they got him for the fight anyway, he still did an outstanding job calling the bout.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:20 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 70 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,132,139,888,560,178.50
Total Points: 4,161,360,004,712,657.50
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

I thought Marquez won the fight clearly. Close, but clear.

Barrera showed his greatness by putting up a fight but he lost the fight.