Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Ardell91
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 265.48

[IMG]***************************/avatar4.jpg[/IMG]I loved watching Tyson close the distance almost more than the knockouts. Just his movement, his style it was great.

Last edited by Ardell91; 04-23-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,635,298.56

His upper body movement was tremendous and was just as important as his speed and two-fisted power.

One thing I always thought was overstated was the effectiveness of his left jab when he was younger. Yeah, he was a better fighter when he threw behind his jab, but it's not like it was a punch he could control a guy or keep him off balance with.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
CarlosG815
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 CarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,252,362,816,766.53
Total Points: 2,252,860,875,439.85
Have a beer. - Barnburner Have some. - Hara No Message - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
My favorite boxer outside of the ring, whom I rarely talk about. What do you think of Kid Dynamite's skillset?
Very skilled. One of the most skilled boxers of all time.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Mastrangelo
Paul Williams beat Lara

Rep Power: 10 Mastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,687,166,674,587.51
Total Points: 954,297,165,016,664.00
thanks for the fight...cheers! - joe strong 

Tyson was really masterpiece of D'Amato. He perfected the style. He didn't know how to fight on back foot, because he wasn't suppose to fight like that. He threw those vicious combinations so natural and instinctively and was so damn quick to counter straight shots of taller guys with hooks. Also as good defence as you'll ever see in aggressive kind of fighter.
People compare Frazier to Tyson, but Mike was just so much better, more complete fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsRstiff View Post
One thing I always thought was overstated was the effectiveness of his left jab when he was younger. Yeah, he was a better fighter when he threw behind his jab, but it's not like it was a punch he could control a guy or keep him off balance with.
You know, you ain't gonna be a jab astist with his size and physique in heavyweight division. His jab was really good considering that.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Yaman
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 27 Yaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,188,905.23

Outstanding defense that was drilled to the extreme(bobbing and weaving, general head movement, hands up etc), great footwork that made him balanced, able to cut off the ring and always be in the right positions for his offense as well as defense. Many combinations that he memorised(Rooney would yell out numbers that him and Mike know were combo's and Tyson would fire them) and delivered in perfect punching form. He even had a great left jab which he used to set everything up, and also bodywork was also stressed by his trainers.

Cus was like an architect. Like it was stated above me, Tyson being a "masterpiece" is a great way of putting it. I don't know if it's a fact that Cus made Tyson stunt his growth in certain ways for the lower center of gravity that suited the style more, but it shows he truly thought of everything.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute

"You know, you ain't gonna be a jab astist with his size and physique in heavyweight division. His jab was really good considering that."

Mastrangelo...

Yes, I know that. But, some of his fans act like he had a great jab when what he had was a decent tool that helped him get inside. For a while he did the best he could with it for his size....but that still doesn't make it all that great a jab.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Yaman
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 27 Yaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,188,905.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsRstiff View Post
"You know, you ain't gonna be a jab astist with his size and physique in heavyweight division. His jab was really good considering that."

Mastrangelo...

Yes, I know that. But, some of his fans act like he had a great jab when what he had was a decent tool that helped him get inside. For a while he did the best he could with it for his size....but that still doesn't make it all that great a jab.
Maybe you haven't watched his fights early in his title reign for a while but he'd outjab bigger fighters with a longer reach. He definitely had a 'great jab' and I haven't seen someone claim he had an ATG jab so I disagree that it's overrated.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaman View Post
Maybe you haven't watched his fights early in his title reign for a while but he'd outjab bigger fighters with a longer reach. He definitely had a 'great jab' and I haven't seen someone claim he had an ATG jab so I disagree that it's overrated.

I have seen every Mike Tyson fight, just about....and have certainly seen every fight since he beat Marvis Frazier.

Yeah, I saw him occasionally outjab a bigger guy. But, he diidn't use it consistently enough or control anybody enough with it for it to be labeled great.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Mintcar923
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 9 Mintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 183,665.42
No Message - zab191 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott9945 View Post
Mitch Green really wasn't a very good heavyweight. So I'm less impressed. As for his skills being second to only Ali, that's ridiculous. Unless you think his "pure skills" compare with Tunney, Johnson, Louis, Charles, etc. It sure makes your skills look better when you can hit like a motherf-cker.
I just used the Green fight as an example. When he was in his prime he was totally capable of bobbing and weaving for 10 or 12 rounds. Yes, I stand by my statement that he's in the top two heavyweight champs of all time as far as skills. If you don't believe me, watch some old videos of him training on the heavy bag. Look at the combos he put together. Watch all of his fights from 86-90 except for the Douglas fight. He was far more skilled than a Frazier, Louis or Marciano..
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
zab191
Contender

Rep Power: 0 zab191 is infamous around these partszab191 is infamous around these partszab191 is infamous around these partszab191 is infamous around these partszab191 is infamous around these partszab191 is infamous around these partszab191 is infamous around these partszab191 is infamous around these partszab191 is infamous around these partszab191 is infamous around these partszab191 is infamous around these parts
Bank: 656,069,275.09
Total Points: 657,061,541.65
zab191 is a sh1tty poster - Freedom. 

Early Tyson using Peek-a-boo technique was a beast he had everything combinations, defense, head movement, power, speed and discipline. This Tyson would have beaten Ali, Foreman, Liston, Marciano and anyone else you want throw into the mix.

If Cus did not drop dead and Don King got involved Tyson would have retired undefeated.