Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 04-07-2012, 05:31 PM
edgarg
Honest BoxingScene posts

Rep Power: 33 edgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 25,739,186.50
Top Poster - WLAD OWNS one of boxingscene's best - Carnivore you're great poster - keep on setting them straight! - Freedom. your an excellent poster - happyman You're a tremendous poster. - Weltschmerz 
Again, great post man - Cuauhtémoc1520 So you can kiss up to Bob Arum better - ShoulderRoll For being a very knowledgeable poster! - PainfromUkraine for helping - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by street bully View Post
People put too much into lewis beating bowe in the olympic finals or semi finals. Riddick Bowe was one of those guys that improved real fast after turning pro, and at that point Lewis was still very good, but would get cracked, and I do not think he would have been able to take those patented Bowe uppercuts.

I think it would could have went either way.
I agree with you. The whole WBC thing was a viscereal hatred by Bowes manager towards Suleiman, who were in the middle of a long-ongoing battle, and the belt dumping was a publicity stunt to show his contempt for Suleiman. He called a press meeting with plenty of photographers for the event. Bowe held nearly all the belts.

It's hard to believe that Bowe was afraid of Lewis as the ignorant,who never knew Bowe, claim. The guy who fought 3 life-or-death wars with a really top class Holyfield, and those two torrid battles with Golota......never. That Holyfield was grades above the best Lewis at any time, and a much bigger draw. Which is why Holyfield retains so much respect even to this day.

And, by the way, didn't Lewis refuse to face both John Ruiz and Chris Byrd. Byrd at that time was fighting everybody including bruisers, and generally making them look silly.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 PM
edgarg
Honest BoxingScene posts

Rep Power: 33 edgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 25,739,186.50
Top Poster - WLAD OWNS one of boxingscene's best - Carnivore you're great poster - keep on setting them straight! - Freedom. your an excellent poster - happyman You're a tremendous poster. - Weltschmerz 
Again, great post man - Cuauhtémoc1520 So you can kiss up to Bob Arum better - ShoulderRoll For being a very knowledgeable poster! - PainfromUkraine for helping - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarg View Post
I agree with you. The whole WBC thing was a viscereal hatred by Bowes manager towards Suleiman, who were in the middle of a long-ongoing battle, and the belt dumping was a publicity stunt to show his contempt for Suleiman. He called a press meeting with plenty of photographers for the event. Bowe held nearly all the belts.

It's hard to believe that Bowe was afraid of Lewis as the ignorant,who never knew Bowe, claim. The guy who fought 3 life-or-death wars with a really top class Holyfield, and those two torrid battles with Golota......never. That Holyfield was grades above the best Lewis at any time, and a much bigger draw. Which is why Holyfield retains so much respect even to this day.

And, by the way, didn't Lewis refuse to face both John Ruiz and Chris Byrd. Byrd at that time was fighting everybody including bruisers, and generally making them look silly.
Just found an old excerpt from thr Los Angeles Times that may be of interest;

"Bowe is not the undisputed heavyweight champion. He refused to fight Lewis, who beat Razor Ruddock, in his first defense. Bowe and Newman knew that Jose Sulaiman, World Boxing Council president, and his ally, promoter Don King, would strip him of the WBC belt.

So Bowe beat them to it, at a televised news conference, dropping his WBC belt into a trash can. Hours later, Sulaiman announced he had given Lewis the WBC's portion of the title".
Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 PM
lazy
workaholic

Rep Power: 171 lazy has a reputation beyond reputelazy has a reputation beyond reputelazy has a reputation beyond reputelazy has a reputation beyond reputelazy has a reputation beyond reputelazy has a reputation beyond reputelazy has a reputation beyond reputelazy has a reputation beyond reputelazy has a reputation beyond reputelazy has a reputation beyond reputelazy has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,917,492,984,073,026.00
Total Points: 3,917,492,984,083,731.00
For a super poster/member! - jazluvr A gift for ya.. - !! AI-Holmes!! have a beer lazy boy - led one aint enough - led Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Easter egg.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Thirsty? - danny711 20K posts.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Merry Christmas - TBear Happy New Year. - Round 1 
long live the drunk lang - Sweet Pea 50 Thanks for the good word - jazluvr you are most welcome :) - Bossy cheers! - -jose- Beterbiev - wladavit 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - !! AI-Holmes!! Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr 

I watched the amateur bout and was not really impressed with the stoppage personally. That was the amateurs anyways and both developed alot since then. I think it would have been a great bout if the fought as pros.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Chino Madonna
Disrespectful Savage

Rep Power: 25 Chino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,601,636,143,120.69
Total Points: 1,633,943,528,693.92
Have a virtual beer on me. - S a m u r a i Hopefully this will help now that you have given up streams - danc1984 i felt bad for you cos i have more gifts than you. what can i say? im more likable :) heres a banana - vanilamilkshake for being a hating lil faag - Sir TomJones for destroying larry, that was entertaining - Alx. 
there there kid, there there - Earl Hickey absolute destruction of the forums biggest shit poster larryx - I'm so sorry underrated poster - -MAKAVELLI- Top bloke - Aztec Wanker for slapping around the fanboys - I'm so sorry 
top poster - -MAKAVELLI- No Message - jose830 14084702 never forget - RlCKY 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jas 

Bowe absolutely ducked Lennox.

Nice interview, though. Think it's time for a Bowe vs Holyfield trilogy all-nighter again.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Axl Rose
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 9 Axl Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAxl Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAxl Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAxl Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAxl Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAxl Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAxl Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAxl Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAxl Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAxl Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAxl Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,063,190.08
Tyson! - ekul_ 

check the facts before posting: this is the same story over and over again.

the fact is, Bowe signed to fight Lewis in March 1995. But, Lewis lost the McCall fight and since it would have been without the title, it never materialised.

so if Bowe ducked and was afraid of Lewis, why accept to fight him?

Go get your brains checked!