Thickness of boxing gloves - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 06-05-2016, 06:13 AM
TheBoxingXpert
Interim Champion

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3 TheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 67,807.72
Default Thickness of boxing gloves

What is the history of boxing gloves? How thick did they use to be, how much thinner did they get, when did it happen, etc. I think that this is very relevant knowledge.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-05-2016, 08:53 AM
New England
Strong champion.

Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Rep Power: 129 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 10,039,420,903,815,046.00
Total Points: 10,110,045,423,585,599,488.00
Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw 
Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 
#freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas 
A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

gloves were as small as 4 oz, IIRC, and have been primarily horsehair for most of their history. they've used 6 oz and 8 oz in every weight class, and thumbless, for many generations.

today's gloves have leather attaching teh thum to the hand. they're 8 oz for 147 and under, and 10 oz for 147.1 and up. they are mostly layered foam.

the "thickness" of the glove really isn't what's important. it's the density and the material used as padding.

loose padding and loose / soft leather will let your knuckles get tyhrough to the garget. think reyes, everlast mexican pro style. soft leather also "pulls" at the skin, causing cuts.

hard leather will keep shape, and more dense foam will spread the impact out over the surface of your knuckles, instead of letting them get through to the target.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:45 AM
TheBoxingXpert
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 3 TheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoxingXpert has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any official timeline of the changes in gloves, like, at which specific point was which kind of glove used?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:53 AM
juggernaut666
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10 juggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,000,140,423.88
Wlad is going to rip Fury and Fury's ego apart - Krusher P4P #1 For your tears :) - motivational Dunce - denium Dunce - denium Dunce - denium 
Bellend - denium Bellend - denium 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
What is the history of boxing gloves? How thick did they use to be, how much thinner did they get, when did it happen, etc. I think that this is very relevant knowledge.
They werent thick at all, i still have my uncles boxing gloves from the 1960's .Barely any padding and its less top heavy "lighter' than modern gloves and when you get punched in the face with them its you can practically feel the other guys knuckles ,this of course could be that the padding had withered over time!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:58 AM
KingTito
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Rep Power: 31 KingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,288,520,605,394.14
Total Points: 6,402,931,920,607.09
Keep up with the good posts!!!!!! - abosworth Good poster - Joshua Clottey for being a laker fan...salud - Makavelli Great Poster!! - jazluvr for rockin the Boza Edwards avi. - Tha Executioner 
mayorgas favorite food - sugarsmosley You speak the truth on Floyd, he is an insecure HATER - hectari 

It's probably the equivalent to the thickness of that di.ck.

Last edited by KingTito; 06-05-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:16 AM
SouthPawHitman
Tom Brady=GOAT

Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Rep Power: 35 SouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPawHitman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,000,561,839.40
Calzaghe is the man!! - mathed happy birthday - LarryXXX happy birthday! - -jose- Happy Birthday.. - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - -jose- 
No Message - -jose- almost 2000 gift...thanks for the green - -jose- Heres To Connor Mcgregor Bro, Were Taking Over - Rocky... Genuinely one of the funniest posters on this site. - joseph5620 No Message - -jose- 
Happy New Year bro, All the best for 2016 - Rocky... No Message - -jose- it's going to be the FOTY - Santa_ 

If the commission's really care about the fighters health,they'll ban the use of any gloves and wraps. Boxing was at its safest when it bare knuckled.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:19 AM
TheBoxingXpert
Interim Champion

Can it really be true that there is no overview of the historical thickness of boxing gloves? Which era fought with which gloves?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:30 AM
juggernaut666
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10 juggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,000,140,423.88
Wlad is going to rip Fury and Fury's ego apart - Krusher P4P #1 For your tears :) - motivational Dunce - denium Dunce - denium Dunce - denium 
Bellend - denium Bellend - denium 

Quote:
Can it really be true that there is no overview of the historical thickness of boxing gloves? Which era fought with which gloves?
Championship matches they used 8 oz i believe pre 60's . Ali used 6oz gloves when he fought Mildenberger ,so it would vary . Looking at most fights its obvious the gloves were smaller regardless of the oz...they were just made different !
Old 06-05-2016, 10:50 AM
New England
Strong champion.

Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Rep Power: 129 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 10,039,420,903,815,046.00
Total Points: 10,110,045,423,585,599,488.00
Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw 
Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 
#freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas 
A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Is there any official timeline of the changes in gloves, like, at which specific point was which kind of glove used?

been looking for that for a while myself. i don't think any regulations were unilateral early on. boxing was very much a local undertaking. there's still no unifying regulating body, but virtually everybody is using the unified rules of the ABC.

the history section would be the place to go. eventually you'd probably get somebody like henry hascup to give you either a link, or just give you the rough timeline on his own.

the boxing register for the hall of fame may very well have a history. i can't find mine for the life of me.

finding a few articles as i go. these have to be taken for what they are, which are popular press articles, as i don't have any verifying data from the record books.

Oliver Irish
Sunday 6 October 2002
Observer Sport Monthly

The modern boxing glove was invented in 1743, the brainchild of Englishman Jack Broughton. But Broughton's gloves, or mufflers as they were then known, were at the time only used for sparring; Broughton used to instruct men in self-defence, at an arena he erected on the Tottenham Court Road, and he used his mufflers to 'effectively secure pupils from the inconvenience of black eyes, broken noses and bloody jaws'.
It is thought that Broughton based the design for his mufflers on the ancient Greek 'cestus', a type of studded gauntlet sported by gladiators and used in hand-to-hand combat. The main difference, though, lay in the padding - either lamb's wool or horsehair - Broughton incorporated into his gloves to soften blows.

It was not until October 1818 that Broughton's style of gloves were used in a competitive fight, between two unnamed English boxers at Aix-la-Chapelle in France. A French newspaper reported: 'The two champions were built like Hercules...they entered the ring with their hands guarded with huge padded gloves.'

Gloves became mandatory when the Marquis of Queensbury Rules were drafted in 1865, and officially adopted in 1892. Mostly the gloves would be skintight rather than padded, and only weighing two ounces. Skintight gloves remained popular until the turn of the century - the last two-ounce bout took place on 22 May 1903, between Jimmy Briggs and Tony Daly.

The fighter who did the most to popularise gloves was American heavyweight John L Sullivan, who fought the first ever gloved heavyweight championship contest, against James J Corbett on 7 September 1892 (he also fought the last ever bareknuckle heavyweight bout, against Jake Kilrain in 1889). Sullivan and Corbett both wore five-ounce gloves for the contest, which Corbett won by knockout in the 21st round.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:39 AM
DeadLikeMe

Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Rep Power: 74 DeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 215,277,025,154,161,836,032.00
Total Points: 215,379,025,159,169,409,024.00
Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab owning pactards - I'm so sorry No Message - MARKBNLV No Message - MARKBNLV 
No Message - MARKBNLV Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil No Message - WESS Thanks for the green - damit305 :rofl: :rofl: Your post on triggs thread - jose830 
No Message - WESS have a cold one on me - sugarsmosley Good post about Maidana - punchr 

The Everlast president was watching a fight in the 15th round, the horsehair-stuffed leather gloves were packed down from blood and sweat as he was watching the opponent get pummeled. Then, he had a sudden moment of clarity and he thought to himself, "there has to be a better way."

Share This With Friends

Tags
boxing, gloves, thickness

User Tag List