Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Travelfan
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,081.81
Default When you aren't a natural...

Hey everybody, I'm sure you guys get bombarded with new boxer questions all the time, so feel free to ignore.

I'm 24 with absolutely no athletic background in my past, and I've started boxing recreationally. I'm still a few months away from being able to afford one on one coaching, so I'm taking group classes twice a week. I feel so awkward, like I'm both sloppy and way too tense in my shots, not to mention uncoordinated.

I'm not looking to be the world's best boxer, I just want to comfortable out there.

Until I can afford one on one, what are some things that worked for those of you who weren't "naturals" either? I've committed myself to waking up earlier and throwing 100 punch combinations every morning (20 of one type in a row, then a one minute break) in slower motion to make sure my technique is both correct and more relaxed. Any other ideas?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 AM
GrandpaBernard
motherfuc

Rep Power: 0 GrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 54,147,698.64
For the insight! - Lazerjab Happy new years bro! - Lazerjab 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelfan View Post
Hey everybody, I'm sure you guys get bombarded with new boxer questions all the time, so feel free to ignore.

I'm 24 with absolutely no athletic background in my past, and I've started boxing recreationally. I'm still a few months away from being able to afford one on one coaching, so I'm taking group classes twice a week. I feel so awkward, like I'm both sloppy and way too tense in my shots, not to mention uncoordinated.

I'm not looking to be the world's best boxer, I just want to comfortable out there.

Until I can afford one on one, what are some things that worked for those of you who weren't "naturals" either? I've committed myself to waking up earlier and throwing 100 punch combinations every morning (20 of one type in a row, then a one minute break) in slower motion to make sure my technique is both correct and more relaxed. Any other ideas?
You're willing to put in extra work like that, so your issue is more mental than physical. You'll be fine if you continue that work ethic.

Technique is even more important who aren't athletic. They aren't as naturally coordinated and balanced, so there's a smaller cushion for them to throw wild punches. You're on the right path.

Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 03-06-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,077,606.89
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:

If your not coordinated, awkward and unathletic the best advice I can give you is to hammer the fitness and conditioning side of things. Get yourself into the best shape of your life.

Not every budding boxer will aspire to be as graceful as Ali, Walcott, Robinson, Holmes, Mayweather or Leonard. There have been plenty of world champions with poor coordination/balance/athleticism. But they have succeeded with sheer heart and conditioning.

Try watching Collins vs Eubank 2 to see how an uncoordinated but superbly conditioned man can beat the superior athlete and technician.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Young Money
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 Young Money has a reputation beyond reputeYoung Money has a reputation beyond reputeYoung Money has a reputation beyond reputeYoung Money has a reputation beyond reputeYoung Money has a reputation beyond reputeYoung Money has a reputation beyond reputeYoung Money has a reputation beyond reputeYoung Money has a reputation beyond reputeYoung Money has a reputation beyond reputeYoung Money has a reputation beyond reputeYoung Money has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,147,861.19

Proper technique and feeling comfortable comes in time.

What you can work on now, as mentioned above, is your conditioning.

This involves your roadwork, doing light hand weights, skipping etc.

Having no athletic background, your body will slowly transform itself to be more efficient in boxing and it's movements.

So really you can look at yourself as a blank canvas
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Travelfan
Amateur

Total Points: 1,081.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Money View Post
Having no athletic background, your body will slowly transform itself to be more efficient in boxing and it's movements.

So really you can look at yourself as a blank canvas
Hah, I like the way you think!

Thanks everybody, my main problems right now are tensing up my arm muscles instead of being relaxed with my shots, my double jabs are awkward as all hell, and getting back to a good technical stance after shuffling forward/back. I'll keep practicing my technique and throwing 100 combos a day, and also double up on my cardio/endurance training.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:10 AM
LarryXXX
EACH ONE TEACH ONE

Rep Power: 206 LarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 331,295,797,750,672,719,872.00
Total Points: 331,295,809,750,672,932,864.00
thanx for the donation - E.P.T. you something else man. You generous as hell - MAKING_MONEY positive unbiased posts - thuggery Brandon 'Cash Cow' Rios - Warrios for that kunt between ur legs - Warrios 
take it like it's floyd - Warrios celebrate ur inner fruit - Warrios No Message - WESS A hero of Boxingscene - valero Merry Christmas - Freedom2013 
TMT - JonoYoungP4P No Message - Scott.Weiland. im dropping benjamins like AB - sugarsmosley u stay up breh - BTL WAR Mayweather! - LoadedWraps 
To the Mayweather Mafia Don! - LoadedWraps Have one on me Lad - Rocky... Cheers - Croyd for knowing his sh1t when it comes to boxing - jas Wont let me green you - deanrw 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - project xxx1 Childhood Cancer - project xxx1 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - project xxx1 Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - New England Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jjbj2 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom. Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom. Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey 

keep practicing,take your time.dedication goes along way.see what you have to build now is muscle memory..practice on 1 thing at a time and build your way up.remember always move your head
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM
as646
Contender

Rep Power: 3 as646 has a reputation beyond reputeas646 has a reputation beyond reputeas646 has a reputation beyond reputeas646 has a reputation beyond reputeas646 has a reputation beyond reputeas646 has a reputation beyond reputeas646 has a reputation beyond reputeas646 has a reputation beyond reputeas646 has a reputation beyond reputeas646 has a reputation beyond reputeas646 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,311.12

Quote:
Hah, I like the way you think!

Thanks everybody, my main problems right now are tensing up my arm muscles instead of being relaxed with my shots, my double jabs are awkward as all hell, and getting back to a good technical stance after shuffling forward/back. I'll keep practicing my technique and throwing 100 combos a day, and also double up on my cardio/endurance training.
It will just come with time, I've been boxing 5 days a week for about 5 months now, and I'm still tensing up my shoulders a lot of the time.