Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 02-19-2012, 05:32 AM
hailmary5150
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,181.01
Default Advice on form of jabbing

Hey guys been a month since i posted my first video and you guys said alot about my jab . I don't have a boxing gym in my town so i ask for your help.

Here is the second vid, what do you guys think?

youtube.com/watch?v=g9kw488TtBw

The advice i got from forum members before really helped; here was the first video from last month if you want to see what it was before.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fj0gu-3q3qw

i am only practising my jab for now then i will move on to other punches after i feel comfortable with it.

Question:
1. Does the rear foot ever come off the ground when you throw a straight or step in jab?
2. Do you absolutely need hand wraps because now im starting to punch harder? My wrists are already strong from weighlifting, i can feel my hands sore after a hard punching session (in a good way).

I thank you for taking the time to address my questions.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 AM
moneymayforever
Contender

Rep Power: 4 moneymayforever has much to be proud ofmoneymayforever has much to be proud ofmoneymayforever has much to be proud ofmoneymayforever has much to be proud ofmoneymayforever has much to be proud ofmoneymayforever has much to be proud ofmoneymayforever has much to be proud ofmoneymayforever has much to be proud ofmoneymayforever has much to be proud of
Total Points: 10,073,440.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailmary5150 View Post
Hey guys been a month since i posted my first video and you guys said alot about my jab . I don't have a boxing gym in my town so i ask for your help.

The advice i got from forum members before really helped; here was the first video from last month if you want to see what it was before.

i am only practising my jab for now then i will move on to other punches after i feel comfortable with it.

Question:
1. Does the rear foot ever come off the ground when you throw a straight or step in jab?
2. Do you absolutely need hand wraps because now im starting to punch harder? My wrists are already strong from weighlifting, i can feel my hands sore after a hard punching session (in a good way).

im no boxing expert like everyone else yet, but

1. i can say that you are not stepping in when you throw the jab. you're throwing arm punches. I was taught that when you throw the jab you need to kick the ground with the rear foot and stomp on the ground like you're squishing a bug, with your lead foot and at the same time, throw your jab. so yes, but only for a very short time.
additionally, your arms are coming out before you turn that hip when you throw the one-two.
2. YES, you need handwraps! you never know when that hand or wrist is going to break. injury is common in boxing.

don't exactly know what's your goal of doing boxing, however whatever your goal may be, i strongly recommend you to find a gym regardless if it is outside of town.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Vitez
Contender

Total Points: 27,388.30

Hi, I think single jabs are better now. Try returning them faster.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:50 PM
popsaregood230
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 popsaregood230 has a reputation beyond reputepopsaregood230 has a reputation beyond reputepopsaregood230 has a reputation beyond reputepopsaregood230 has a reputation beyond reputepopsaregood230 has a reputation beyond reputepopsaregood230 has a reputation beyond reputepopsaregood230 has a reputation beyond reputepopsaregood230 has a reputation beyond reputepopsaregood230 has a reputation beyond reputepopsaregood230 has a reputation beyond reputepopsaregood230 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,392.57

Also, you are leaning your body and head forward, sit on your back leg a little more when you punch and try not to move your upper body too much. Rotate at your hips just slightly for the jab to put some body behind it.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 AM
BarryRobinson
BOXING

Rep Power: 7 BarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond reputeBarryRobinson has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,299,732.28
i started watching your vids your a good trainer keep it up - sugersean15 great trainer good luck in the future - Alx. For masterfully owning those haters nyahahahaha - tibbar Awesome ! Looking forward to training with you. - BulgariasFinest They also banned me for rubbish. Try boxrec forum instead. - HaglerSteelChin 
Send a message via Skype™ to BarryRobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailmary5150 View Post

Question:

This is not thorough but I hope it helps

Quote:
Sportive Regards,
Barry
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 AM
~AK49~
Liquor and Whores

Rep Power: 27 ~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute~AK49~ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,060,089,946,444,984.62
Total Points: 1,060,131,963,517,692.75
good discussion man. - chiguy91 great game thanks for payment :beerchug: - jose830 Great thread - E.P.T. unicorn land :lol1: - -jose- lol - -jose- 
No Message - -jose- gracias - fifth tea sent 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRobinson View Post
This is not thorough but I hope it helps

Sportive Regards,
Barry
Thanks. I have a question about the jab to the body.

Are you supposed to bring your other hand in front of your jaw? Or kinda protect it with your jabbing shoulder? Or just hope you are quick enough to not eat a counter?