Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 PM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 20 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,614,313,603.75
Total Points: 5,815,433,815.76
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples
Default Shavers vs Joe Louis

Ok let's get his straight, Louis is clearly the better more rounded fighter, but in a head-to-head match up I give Shavers a huge chance. Louis always kept his left low and was open for a right hand over the top lead or counter. Walcott hit him with this and so did Schmeling, I know others have too.

Shavers would also be in with someone of similar size. I'm not one to care much about size but in this case I think it would let Shavers feel like the bigger man for once.

What happens when Shavers connects with his right hand?? He would most definitely, without a doubt in my mind as he did so against much better defensive minded fighters.

I know Louis has a punchers chance, but I don't see that coming into effect untill about round 5, Shavers was usually done by then anyways.

I'd like to hear some unbiased ideas, I personally can see Louis just getting stopped - a small chance that he weathers the storm and turns the tables on shavers abruptly, but Shavers by KO is a big chance of outcome.

Shavers nearly knocked Holmes out cold in his prime, if it wasn't for Holmes incredible evasive abilities he would have been finished. He also hurt Ali badly, who had one of the best chins of all time bar non and possibly the most heart.

Last edited by them_apples; 02-15-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 PM
joseph5620
undisputed

Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 628,227,850,512.81
Total Points: 12,671,232,962,026.58
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by them_apples View Post
Ok let's get his straight, Louis is clearly the better more rounded fighter, but in a head-to-head match up I give Shavers a huge chance. Louis always kept his left low and was open for a right hand over the top lead or counter. Walcott hit him with this and so did Schmeling, I know others have too.

Shavers would also be in with someone of similar size. I'm not one to care much about size but in this case I think it would let Shavers feel like the bigger man for once.

What happens when Shavers connects with his right hand?? He would most definitely, without a doubt in my mind as he did so against much better defensive minded fighters.

I know Louis has a punchers chance, but I don't see that coming into effect untill about round 5, Shavers was usually done by then anyways.

I'd like to hear some unbiased ideas, I personally can see Louis just getting stopped - a small chance that he weathers the storm and turns the tables on shavers abruptly, but Shavers by KO is a big chance of outcome.

Shavers nearly knocked Holmes out cold in his prime, if it wasn't for Holmes incredible evasive abilities he would have been finished. He also hurt Ali badly, who had one of the best chins of all time bar non and possibly the most heart.
Very dangerous early on for Louis but I can't pick Shavers to beat him. Two different class of fighters. Shavers had devastaing power, as everybody knows. But he also was a limited fighter in many ways. Poor stamina, slow and his chin was not that good either. Shavers hurt Ali and Holmes, but he was also stopped by Ron Lyle and Jerry Quarry (1 round). I see some rocky moments for Louis early (similar to the Galento fight) but I also see him overcoming them to take Shavers out in about 6 rounds
Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 PM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 20 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,614,313,603.75
Total Points: 5,815,433,815.76
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5620 View Post
Very dangerous early on for Louis but I can't pick Shavers to beat him. Two different class of fighters. Shavers had devastaing power, as everybody knows. But he also was a limited fighter in many ways. Poor stamina, slow and his chin was that good either. Shavers hurt Ali and Holmes, but he was alos stopped by Ron Lyle and Jerry Quarry (1 round) I see some rocky moments for Louis(similiar to the Galento fight) but I also see him overcoming them to take Shavers out in about 6 rounds
good points. But what about his open defense for Shavers right? Even Lyle and Quarry weren't necessarily prone to eating that punch. The point of this thread.

I'm almost 100% certain it would land, and Louis survival skills are average at best. I completely agree Louis is the more rounded fighter and would put up a much better fight against some of the opponent's shavers lost too. But we can't pick a fighter to win based on his greatness alone.

Last edited by them_apples; 02-15-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Barnburner
TheTartanSoldier

Rep Power: 44 Barnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 140,255,889,298,379.31
Total Points: 140,645,900,668,571.31
The Greatest Vid : Barney the Great - McGoorty 3000 posts! - rorymac Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 Merry Crimbo! - The Surgeon To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A 
Your 4000th post and you quoted me, I'm honoured! Happy 4k :wave: - *Boss Lady* 4 the uploads! - chiguy91 Congrats on 5K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 well deserved - the collector 
For the massive amount of points given - MindBat Merry X-mas Lad! Have a good un! - The Surgeon Happy New Year - Freedom. You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS Happy birthday! Hope you have a good one. - dan_cov Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 what up homie...just incase I want you to know I had nothing to do with that thread title change that's your thread bro - -jose- 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Louis KO2.

Easy fight, easy knockout.

Shavers has literally no chance here in my opinion. Maybe against a green Louis who didn't take a right hand well but he would still kick the living **** out of Shavers regardless.

And before any one asks. Schmeling is a much better fighter than Shavers.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM
kendom
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 4 kendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to all
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 6,125,411.10

Louis had great recovery abilities, from his fight with Galento and Buddy Baer he was knocked down and got right back on the job. I see Louis taking a knockdown and then coming on to seriously hurt Shavers and knock him out, too good a boxer with the jab and accuracy plus Shaves chin

Louis by KO 4
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Barnburner
TheTartanSoldier

Rep Power: 44 Barnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond reputeBarnburner has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 140,255,889,298,379.31
Total Points: 140,645,900,668,571.31
The Greatest Vid : Barney the Great - McGoorty 3000 posts! - rorymac Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 Merry Crimbo! - The Surgeon To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A 
Your 4000th post and you quoted me, I'm honoured! Happy 4k :wave: - *Boss Lady* 4 the uploads! - chiguy91 Congrats on 5K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 well deserved - the collector 
For the massive amount of points given - MindBat Merry X-mas Lad! Have a good un! - The Surgeon Happy New Year - Freedom. You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS Happy birthday! Hope you have a good one. - dan_cov Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 what up homie...just incase I want you to know I had nothing to do with that thread title change that's your thread bro - -jose- 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

I guess I'm the only one who thinks Shavers does f*** all in this match-up.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
The_Demon
Big dog

Rep Power: 39 The_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 43,169,919,732.14
Total Points: 74,247,756,877.06
cant grren k you my friend at the moment so i got you a gift instead - project xxx1 Thanks 4 your Vote G... - The Gully Gad thanks mate - Pension-Killer Thanks for knowing the movie mane - Natedatpkid I hope this beer will help,. I'm a nice guy - McGoorty 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - DuttyAlacrity Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - JM1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - JM1 Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Sir TomJones 
Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Sir TomJones Childhood Cancer - Sir TomJones Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 

I agree with Joseph,two different class of fighters

Of course Shavers has a punchers chance,he would have a punchers chance against an elephant,but his power doesnt make up for his major lacking in other areas when facing a guy like Louis,after a few early scares the brown bomber stops him around the 6th,and it would be brutal
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Forza
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Forza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,587,834.67
one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Viva Il Duce - Rocky... Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Louis by K.O under 6 would be a safe bet. Pretty much better in every area except punching power which louis is no slacker at.

Hell I'd put a prime louis against any HW in history except the giants (K1, K2, lennox )
Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,057,668.84
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero 

Mr. Max taught Joe all about dropping and rowing his jab and not tucking his chin. Max was a very good puncher just like Ernie but remember that in the heavyweight division theres alot of guys with the power to hurt. Ernie had great reach and he could take a good punch but he never fought anyone that would jab then rip right hands to his body (side) and look to see when and how the hook could land. Ernie never fought anyone with a two handed attack like Joe brings. Louis threw all the punches correctly and if you retreated to the ropes or corner you were in for it! I don't think the members here actually realize the ability of Joe Louis. Max Schmeling was a hell of a fighter and if it weren't for Hitler holding his family and status in jepardy Max would have been fighting out of NYC. In their second fight try to find the audio and listen to the punches and you can hear Max sigh and the air rushing out of him. Joe broke T's in the mans back and almost severed ribs from his chest bone. Max was a vewry good fighter and proved it against Joe the first time, and said he'd stop him. I like Ernie alot, he'd get hurt bad. Ray
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 64 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 486,806,608,594,909.19
Total Points: 516,026,724,685,058.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Shavers always has a punchers chance.

I think Louis would take his time in this one, break him down a bit, then knock him out.

But Louis without any doubt wins this fights with absolutely no problems outside a single shot that may hurt him.