Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: Should Winky Wright be inducted into the Hall of Fame some day?
Yes 15 42.86%
No 18 51.43%
I don't know enough about Winky Wright's career to answer this question 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 02-12-2012, 11:12 AM
raskat
Banned

Rep Power: 0 raskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,825,109,740.67
Knuckles - Uncle Howie Good Job! - DET. IRONSIDE No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
Happy New Year - Freedom. Thanks for the uploads - simbros thanks for the info...i can now add youtube fights to my career collections. - joe strong Merry Xmas and thanks for the fun quiz! - The Surgeon one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. 
Default Should Winky Wright be inducted into the Hall of Fame some day?

Does Winky Wright deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Brother Jay
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Brother Jay is infamous around these partsBrother Jay is infamous around these partsBrother Jay is infamous around these partsBrother Jay is infamous around these partsBrother Jay is infamous around these partsBrother Jay is infamous around these partsBrother Jay is infamous around these partsBrother Jay is infamous around these partsBrother Jay is infamous around these partsBrother Jay is infamous around these partsBrother Jay is infamous around these parts
Bank: 2,755,924,135.61
Total Points: 3,755,947,833.46
you deserve a kick for your racism and bigotry - Freedom. Posts of steel! - Kenny MF Powers on the real! - Body Movin' Owning retards daily. Its like a movie... - Kenny MF Powers respect you as a poster, keep it up champ! - Atreyu Khalil 
Extreme ownage in textbook fashion of any Pactards who even attempt to step to the plate - Primera To truth and the art of verisimilitude. - WESS Absolute Beast. - ToPRaNK 

Why not?

If Barrera does, then Winky Wright sure as hell does.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM
raskat
Banned

Rep Power: 0 raskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond reputeraskat has a reputation beyond repute
Knuckles - Uncle Howie Good Job! - DET. IRONSIDE No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
Happy New Year - Freedom. Thanks for the uploads - simbros thanks for the info...i can now add youtube fights to my career collections. - joe strong Merry Xmas and thanks for the fun quiz! - The Surgeon one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jay View Post
Why not?

If Barrera does, then Winky Wright sure as hell does.
woooooow. dude. kidding me? Barrera is one of the greatest boxers I ever saw and on my scorecards he beat Morales three times. If Barrera doesnt belong into the hall of fame, then NOBODY BELONGS THERE.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Check
On a boat, beeeeotch!

Rep Power: 93 Check has a reputation beyond reputeCheck has a reputation beyond reputeCheck has a reputation beyond reputeCheck has a reputation beyond reputeCheck has a reputation beyond reputeCheck has a reputation beyond reputeCheck has a reputation beyond reputeCheck has a reputation beyond reputeCheck has a reputation beyond reputeCheck has a reputation beyond reputeCheck has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 28,675,261,888,599.30
Total Points: 28,675,362,208,624.85
For the Michigan Victory - IncuFan What Wisconsin is famous for. Cheese and wine. - checkmania for the contribution in the 100+ replies thread - D E M Dz A viva marquez!!!! - Left Hook Tua Everyman needs a superman logo. - ABOSWORTH 

If you have to ask, they usually don't deserve to be in. As much as I love Wink, he isn't a hall of famer. Then again the Boxing HOF is one of the worst when you compare it to other sports.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 AM
JmH Reborn
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 JmH Reborn has a reputation beyond reputeJmH Reborn has a reputation beyond reputeJmH Reborn has a reputation beyond reputeJmH Reborn has a reputation beyond reputeJmH Reborn has a reputation beyond reputeJmH Reborn has a reputation beyond reputeJmH Reborn has a reputation beyond reputeJmH Reborn has a reputation beyond reputeJmH Reborn has a reputation beyond reputeJmH Reborn has a reputation beyond reputeJmH Reborn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 560,319,028,698.12
Total Points: 570,210,979,697.50
respect you as a poster, keep it up champ! - Atreyu Khalil For the good laugh! - codey Go far. - FeFist Para celebrar la victoria - PRPOWERPUNCHES 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - JmH Reborn Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - codey World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 

No, he can't get into the HoF based of beating a prime Mosley, although that was a great win for him, even if he lost to Vernon already

He's a good fighter, nothing more and nothing less. If they had a Hall of Good, he'd make it. No meaningful wins in what, eight or nine years? And before that, he fought some good comp, but nothing ground breaking. The one legit (almost) great fighter he fought, he lost to.

If he had taken the belt away from Taylor and beaten Hopkins, I'd probably vote in his favor. In the grand scheme of things, and maybe I think the HoF is more prestigious in all sports than what they've become, but for me the bar is raised and Wright won't be remembered for anything all that spectacular
Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Mr.0pal
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 0 Mr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 77,526.34

If Shane Mosley is going why not Winky? Winky won more of his big fights than Mosley and even beat Mosley twice. Aside from beating Trinidad and Quartey, I think he got robbed against Vargas, Hopkins (YES Hopkins), and Taylor.

Last edited by Mr.0pal; 02-12-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 AM
raskat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post
No, he can't get into the HoF based of beating a prime Mosley, although that was a great win for him, even if he lost to Vernon already

He's a good fighter, nothing more and nothing less. If they had a Hall of Good, he'd make it. No meaningful wins in what, eight or nine years? And before that, he fought some good comp, but nothing ground breaking. The one legit (almost) great fighter he fought, he lost to.

If he had taken the belt away from Taylor and beaten Hopkins, I'd probably vote in his favor. In the grand scheme of things, and maybe I think the HoF is more prestigious in all sports than what they've become, but for me the bar is raised and Wright won't be remembered for anything all that spectacular
but let me say this: why does Shane Mosley belong into the hall of fame?? he had quite some defences at lightweight against mostly average competition, then he has 2 wins over De la Hoya while he was on roids, and the 2nd one wasnt even a real win. Furthermore he lost all his big fights against Forrest (twice), Winky Wright (twice) and lost to Miguel Cotto and got outclassed by Pacquiao and Mayweather. and those 2 wins against a totally shot Vargas dont mean anything really.
Sugar Shane into the hall of fame???
Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Mr.0pal
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 0 Mr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these partsMr.0pal is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 77,526.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskat View Post
but let me say this: why does Shane Mosley belong into the hall of fame?? he had quite some defences at lightweight against mostly average competition, then he has 2 wins over De la Hoya while he was on roids, and the 2nd one wasnt even a real win. Furthermore he lost all his big fights against Forrest (twice), Winky Wright (twice) and lost to Miguel Cotto and got outclassed by Pacquiao and Mayweather. and those 2 wins against a totally shot Vargas dont mean anything really.
Sugar Shane into the hall of fame???
Exactly. Other than Oscar Shane's biggest wins were against Margarito and Vargas.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM
4Corners
GRANTANAMO

Rep Power: 42 4Corners has a reputation beyond repute4Corners has a reputation beyond repute4Corners has a reputation beyond repute4Corners has a reputation beyond repute4Corners has a reputation beyond repute4Corners has a reputation beyond repute4Corners has a reputation beyond repute4Corners has a reputation beyond repute4Corners has a reputation beyond repute4Corners has a reputation beyond repute4Corners has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 200,105,867,810.45
respect you as a poster, keep it up champ! - Atreyu Khalil good poster - joesaiditstrue Good poster. Freedom is an idiot. - RossCA No Message - RossCA Great album choices! That's what's up! - jose830 
keep up the solid posts. - sugarsmosley 

It's on the fence for me. When you see some people that have made the HOF, you look and say "Well yeah, Winky Wright was as good as they were". Winky got robbed a lot throughout his career. And you could reasonably argue that his only losses were to Vasquez when he pretty young, Hopkins and Williams when he was past it. He didn't lose to Simon and Vargas, and his fight with Taylor wasn't a draw. And though Winky was past it against Hopkins, many felt that fight was much closer than the scorecards indicated as well.

So, he should have McKart, Dodson, Simon, Vargas, Mosley, Trinidad (though he was past his prime), Taylor, and Quartey on his resume. If that were the case, he'd without a doubt he a HOF in my book. But, based on the controversial losses or draw, he only has MacKart, Dodson, Mosley, Trinidad, and Quartey on there.

I'd say no because he wasn't awarded those fights, where most he'd felt he'd won. But, in all reality, if Winky isn't a HOF fighter, than what's on JMM resume that makes him an ATG/HOF, like many call him????? JMM's notable wins are Peden, Gainer, Salido, Polo, Barrera (past his prime), Juarez, Casamayor, Katsidis, and J. Diaz. I agree he should have a win or two against Manny Pacquiao, but he doesn't. So, if people are going to award JMM the title of a HOF or ATG, largely based on his performances against Pacquiao, where many felt he deserved a decision or two, shouldn't Winky get some credit for his fights with Taylor, Vargas, and Simon, where most felt he won the fight???

Mosley's notable wins are Holiday, Molina, Ruiz, E. Morales, Rivera, De La Hoya, A. Diaz, S. Taylor, Cruz, Vargas, Collazo, Mayorga, and Margarito. So, Mosley had a very good career, but was also on the right side of the decision in his two biggest wins. You can say the same about Winky against Mosley, but most felt Winky had won, where as a lot felt Oscar won at least one of those fights with Shane. Also, Shane was on PED's in those fights, so yeah. Shane had a very good career, but Winky was on the wrong side of every decision accept for the Shane Mosley fights.

Last edited by 4Corners; 02-12-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM
raskat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.0pal View Post
If Shane Mosley is going why not Winky? Winky won more of his big fights than Mosley and even beat Mosley twice. Aside from beating Trinidad and Quartey, I think he got robbed against Vargas, Hopkins (YES Hopkins), and Taylor.
I felt the Hopkins-Wright should have been a draw. I didnt score it but I felt the commentary was totally pro Hopkins biased and the truth is nothing really happened in this fight.
I could see a draw but I didnt see how Hopkins won this fight